• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Working With Photo Etch (PE)

COOL , COOL ,COOL !!! Rock-On Brotha' ! Tony tell me more about this Gator Glue. Does it Dry Clear/Invisible ?

Clean Stuff !! Great Job !! :ro:

ERIK

Yeah Erik it cures out clear. Water soluble so clean up is easy. Even when cured it still has elasticity and therefore it's not brittle like CA.

The plastic is not melted so you can also use it to temporarily attach a part and remove it later then use a pair of tweezers to remove the glue residue.

I've also used it to apply resin zimmerite and it did a fine job for me.

Just another great hobby tool that has its place.
Tony lee:)

Okay Tony you're in trouble now. My flux solder and PE showed up today. Give me a couple and I'll be mucking up and shouting out for help in no time. :laugh:

James :D

The one thing to always remember James is: "Less is More" Just enough solder to hold,no more no less.:ro:

Erik your right, never get in a hurry to admire your work.:lol:

I use a rechargeable and a fine tip I got from Micro Mark Pup.
100_0803.jpg

:notworthy

I have never had any luck with those things! I like the fine tip though, I can see how that would be VERY handy.

I use a rechargeable and a fine tip I got from Micro Mark Pup.
100_0803.jpg

Hey, it is the same one I have! Plus I have the Cold Heat one (not much use but whenever I have louvers or grills to solder, I use the rechargeable for the high temp melt solder and the Cold Heat for the low temp melt solder so as not to undo what I have done. Last item (aside from the traditional 40 watt soldering iron) is an American Beauty resistance soldering unit which I have yet to try out after buying.

Regards,

I have this one. I like it , personally, a little better than th Cordless one. I'm a bit impatient & don't like waiting for it to "re-charge"

I use the 1/16th tip. It really gets me in close & the Soldiering Station has a variable wattage control. If I come across a thicker piece of Brass, I'm ready with th turn of th knob.

Micro-Mark has these & usually runs a sale of around $44.00 USD. !

wlc100.jpg

Gun Tube Cradle"... Have you noticed how the instructions make it look so easy but of coarse the diagram is blown up five times normal size.
100_0911.jpg

I drilled the frame and installed the base feet first and then went ahead and assembled one of the chain options,this is the one that goes over the tube while in travel mode. Not being sure what position I want the barrel to be in I just left the wire in each end for now.
100_0909.jpg

The most difficult part for me was getting that wire through the handle and handle bracket only because it's so small and hard to hold onto.:gogo

100_0912.jpg
Hi Tony,

Those chains are some of the best looking PE parts I've seen assembled! My first question is: the line that is shown in the instructions (the one that holds the chains together), is it a metal one, or just regular line used for sowing, as it seems that after the chain is assembled there is no use for it? :hmmm

Second question: are the lines and plastic, or brass, rods included in the kit, or must you come up with them yourself? :idonno

Please excuse the crudeness of my questions but I'm in the beginning of my modeling career... :blush:

Cheers and thanks for the great "show" you're putting on for us! B)
Fernao

First off Fernao what ever wire or plastic rod stock that's needed is supplied with the PE kit.

#2 Since I haven't decided if the gun will be in travel mode with the barrel secured or not I left the wire long at the ends of the chain,makes working with it easier for now. The wire at the end of the chain will go through the bracket at the top of the frame and the handle bracket on the other end of the chain.

Don't worry about asking question about anything, i'm still full of them myself.:lol:

My pleasure,Thanks

MAN ! :blink I'm surprised Voyager didn't have idvidual links of that chain ... to make it workable ! :woohoo:

Lookin Good Brotha' !

ERIK

I see no reason why you couldn't. You would have to cut out the separate links from both chains to have enough links to make a complete working chain.

Back