• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Work Bench - Building Spot Lets See Them!

h1fc911d_2018-07-10.JPG

Here's a hint! My "Office" door!

Not much to mine. Just a couple desks in a spare room with a couple shelves for storage. My main work area is a cheap computer desk. I found the keyboard shelf underneath was a great place to store paint (kept in boxes so they don't fall off) The shelf at the top of the desk is the shelf of doom.

hf83f73a.jpg

h6d00b25.jpg

hc0ac0a9.jpg

There is a big wardrobe on the otherside of the room that I need to get rid of and then I can build a better work bench.

h0f62e3f.jpg

Unfortunately there is a treadmill parked in front of the display cabinet at the moment. Too many family and friends coming to visit lately so had to take the treadmill out of the other spare bedroom.

I don't think you want to see pics of my hobby room, they would not offer any insight to improving your own.

Keep your pics coming guys, these are awesome and invigorating to see!

:nopics:

Post'em Duke. :smack

As I mentioned, you asked for them. Here they are.

This is the entrance that you see as you walk in the room. Yes, the door only opens that wide. The white tubs on the left are half of my 700 armor models still packed away. Straight ahead is the table I build on since my desk itself is so crammed with crap. Behind it is my 'spray booth':

Hobby_Room_Entrance_2018.jpg

Here is my Hobby Room Inspector Sylvester going in and letting me know it's okay to enter now:

Hobby_Room_Inspector.jpg

The wooden thing to the left is a homemade paint rack I'd built for myself using scrap wood from a job site some years ago. I haven't the space to put it up so it stays there for now.

How that we are inside, here is the main workbench. Yes, it has been cleaned off and "organized" for this pic:

Hobby_Workbench_2018.jpg

To the extreme right is a small desk fan I use to blow fumes etc. away from me toward the window as I spray.

Speaking of spraying, here again is my 'spray booth':

Hobby_Spraybooth_2018.jpg

You can see some of the models on it awaiting a(nother) clearcoat...

This is the extra piece of furniture that I use as my side table for putting models that need time to dry or that need to wait till I get further along on other projects first. Kind of as holding table:

Hobby_Side_Table.jpg

My phone at the lower right is attached to a speaker that it is sitting on. This way I can play my rock tunes on my playlist while charging my phone. Yes, there are a few shelf queens on this table that I need to get to.

This is the side stash of boxes for the current projects I'm working on. Consider this the queue line where I put the boxes with all the uninstalled parts on sprues; decals (theoretically!), and some sub-assemblies. It is also where I stack some partially built models that don't fit on the side table. You can also see some other models in that stack that I plan on getting to soon. The Old Spice box and Red Baron tin are my containers for transporting finished models; mostly armor and the smaller aircraft. The round blue container is a parts box filled with a bunch of parts I need to sort out:

Hobby_Room_Queue_2018.jpg

This last pic shows the stacks of white tubs still holding 95% of my small scale vehicles inside. They will stay there until Phoenix when they are all coming out to be placed on display at the IPMS Nationals. After that, they will probably stay there as I seem to have no room to put them on display again! LOL! There are a couple other Shelf Queens and other model boxes up on top of these stacks of armor. I hope to finish what's up there and clear them off. To the right, you see the stash of models I most want to get to. The rest of the stash is in about 9 boxes in storage:

Hobby_Room_Stash_2018.jpg

Okay, I warned you about this. I take no responsibility for any trauma I may have created showing the manufacturing facilities for Maddog Manufacturing.

Thank you for looking in.

Way cool :woohoo: nice to see the main assembly plant of Maddog enterprises is an organized and well oiled machine :good: you know what they say......empty space is wasted space :D thanks for the tour
:drinks

OK, here goes, the first two are my primary assembly bench, a little smaller than I would like these days but it was built when I shared the room with my Wife's sewing hobby.

planeshop1.jpg

planeshop2.jpg

The next one is my airbrushing area

planeshop3.jpg

My dedicated photo area, current being used as a staging area for some train project parts.

planeshop4.jpg

Next up is a storage area for stalled or WIP projects, also where my Silhouette cutter resides and where I plop my laptop when I need to use it for model related stuff

planeshop5.jpg

Stash storage for primarily 1/72 and 1/48 kits, some other scales in there as well

planeshop6.jpg

Storage for 1/32 kits, there are a couple dozen more behind the ones in the front

planeshop7.jpg

And vehicle storage plus overflow of odds and ends

planeshop8.jpg

But wait, that's just my plane stuff, I also have a train habit and although it occasionally shares space in the indoor hobby room most of it is my garage. Inside the garage is an enclosed space that is insulated and air conditioned, about 8' x 12'. It has a full length work bench with my bench top milling machine at one end and the rest is currently full of numerous projects shown in the next two photos

trainshop1.jpg

trainshop2.jpg

Storage space, the wall mounted display has some of the remainders of my days in HO scale

trainshop3.jpg

A small bench for my lathe and micro drill press and other stuff

trainshop4.jpg

And for projects that tend to overwhelm the other area I have an 8'x 30" flat bench in the garage proper currently occupied with a 48" long through girder bridge project.

trainshop5.jpg

WOW Gary! I like that you have a mill and a lathe as well. I use my mill all the time. It is one of my main tools.

Excellent work spaces I must say.

Mark, if you had my space...it would still be a mess! :rotf

Nice digs Gary!

Yep, you are right about that.

I agree, Gary, you got a great workspace there. Beautiful trains too!

All of these Work benches, look great !!! Mark & I have similar areas .... My 10 X 10 is unworthy, I started digging through my Projects, (there are a bunch.) I'll put a spit shine on Mine tomorrow, I cleaned Catch all drawer, last night so I can get some Customers projects finished. With the new Hobby Shop taking all my Time, I've been Not present at the Bench ....

h2f8064b.jpg

I'm serious this time !!! I just bought a Regulator/drier for My Air Brush .... should be here soon ...

Inside my new building (Hobby Shop) is where I intend to move my operation, Fellow modelers, being kicked out (via Rent doubling) of my old place of Business is greatest thing that has happened to Me.

h3deed02_2018-08-01.jpg

New work space ....

h20064a6_2018-08-01.jpg

I also have a new ride .... :yipee I'd been walking to work across a vacant lot, watching for copperheads, so When a friend offered Me this Gas powered Yamaha golf cart, I jumped on it. I've been using it for my Dump truck, But I'm not crazy about the color. I've since added a new top, off a tractor, 32" Light Bar, a couple of 4" square LED headlights. I purchased some digital camo, but not too sure how to wrap it. The future has a Lift kit involved, plus looking at a metal dump bed. a winch and a Gin-pole ....

h833aacd.jpg

Dug around a bit to find this thread. I know it is a couple years old but wanted to show you guys what I've been up to.

As you'll see in my old post above my model space was limited to a couple of desks in an spare bedroom in the basement. Now that there is just me and my adult son living in the house and no SWMBO to direct things I have been busy reorganizing things. I moved my son down to the basement family room and den leaving the two other upstairs bedrooms vacant. The one across from my master bedroom has now become the model room. This is the first time I've had a dedicated room just for my hobby. It is only 10x10 ft but it is glorious!

I still have a few things to bring up from the basement but I am still trying to figure out what to do for shelves above the work bench and the spare desk (which I intend to buy a spray booth for). The keyboard shelf on the desk is currently home to the shelf of doom. I pulled it out a bit for you to see. I need to find a new display case to fit between the work bench and the window. The current display case on the left is bursting at the seems. I need a new blind too.

IMG_2769.JPG

I need a quieter compressor now that everything is upstairs. I am going to finish that Ju 88 one of these days.
IMG_2764.JPG

The stash... glorious stash!!! I had some left over wood from various other projects so I built some shelves in the closet to help organize it. ...AND IT ALL FIT!!! With room for a "couple" more.:bigrin:
IMG_2766.JPG

The wood chest above the book shelf was made by my great Uncle in Detroit. A cool piece and always nice to have an heirloom or two.
IMG_2767.JPG

Yes it is too clean at the moment but that will change with time. If any one has some suggestions on what to do for shelving on the walls or what to change I would be open to ideas.

It is nice having the model room in the main living area. I have been very productive in the last month since moving it and I hope that will continue.

Last edited:
You can't imagine how much modeling I would get done if I had a dedicated room in the house. I've said it a couple of times but there's pros and cons to having a detached garage. One is it's not as accessible as just slipping into the model room for a 15 session.

Back