• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WIP IDF Sherman

Juliano

Hi,

Here is another project, an Israeli 76mm Sherman(circa 1961) based on this picture:

m1_idf_003.jpg

I had started this in mid 2009.The base kit is Dragon M4A1 ´Operation Cobra` which offer most of the parts that I will need. Most of my reference came from a few photos from books and internet.
The first shoots show some major work around the turret,basically I´ve re-done some of the texture with liquid cement and then added the post-war fittings for the mantelet canvas cover:

idf_001.jpg

idf_002.jpg

At this point the model was shelved for a while until I restarted working on it again during the 2009 Holidays.

Right now it looks like this:

idf_005.jpg

idf_006.jpg

I´ve added most of the parts and details I could spot from the available pictures, also played a bit with the road wheels and added the plain dished ones to add some interest.
Right now I´m thinking if it will be OK to add some crew figures or not, also I´m looking for a bit more of info about the rear hull plate to see if there is anything different from the american version. I believe there won´t be any spare link racks but quite sure the big folding rack was used. Any thoughts?
Hope you enjoy it, any comments will be most wellcome
Cheers,

Juliano

Hi Juliano.

That is a nice lookin Sherman there. I like these very early Israeli vehicles like this. As far as the back, you have both good news, and bad. The bad news is that you don't have any reference. The good news is that you don't have any reference, so can do what ever seems most likely.

Gary B)

Gary,

Thank you for your words, in the end I believe I will have to figure out how the rear hull looks like!
I also enjoy these early IDF tanks, specially the Shermans.They make great modeling subjects if you want a post-war M4 and have interesting details all over it to keep you busy!
Cheers,

Juliano

Thank you guys, your feedback is great and makes me want to work even more on it.
I will come up with more pics soon, so stay tuned
Cheers,

Juliano

Hi Juliano,

Nice Sherman, nice details !

One question ; you allready fitted the tracks , but how you gonna paint them ??

Best regards

Kristof

Kristof,

you allready fitted the tracks , but how you gonna paint them ??

I will paint them in place, very carefully.
I know most people don´t do things this way, but I´d tried it before and must say I rather prefer put all the tracks in place then painting everything out of the model and later put them in place, specially when you are working with Dragon LBL tracks.
I won´t say it´s easy, but I had no problems doing this... I can also say: give it a try!
Cheers,

Juliano

Hi,

Time for an update.Here are the latest pics:

idf_030.jpg

idf_031.jpg

I consider it finished and ready to paint. What do you guys and gals think? Any missing details?
Best regards,

Juliano

Hello Juliano, You model a very different subject! I'm no expert but it looks great to me. What time period is this from? 50's? 60's?

randy

The Sherman Juliano is building is from the 60's the photo he posted states thats Also Olav its not called an ISherman, Isherman is a fantasy name! B)

Nice Israeli Sherman Juliano! Very clean and well built! Do you have any idea's on paint yet?

Jaymes.

Randy,

What time period is this from? 50's? 60's?

Most of the info I´ve found states that it´s a 1961 configuration,all of them from Sinai desert units.
Also the info about painting scheme points for a coat of overall olive drab with tactical markings in white, and lots of dust! :laugh: BTW, I think that those markings give this variant a special look.
Cheers,

Juliano

Jaymes and Cam,

Thank you guys for the comments. I can´t wait to start painting it! Just will have to wait a few days to start.

Juliano

Looks really good! With all the IDF tanks being built we could almost have an platoon.

Terry B)

Back