• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

where do you spray paint your kits

f1matt

Since moving to my new diggs I haven't continued any of my builds. Why? They are in need of paint and I don't have anywhere to spray. I need a new spray booth. I'd prefer to build one myself to help keep the cost reasonable. Any tips would be great.

Or let me now what you guys and gals do since I'm sure everyone has a slightly different setup. Perhaps something different from a traditional booth. I'm all ears. And tail according to my avatar.

Matt ;)

Mine was built from an old Dot matrix printer muffler box (don't know the exact name) and a few odds and bits :)

img4336f.jpg

img4343i.jpg

img4342ci.jpg

img4340q.jpg

I mostly use it for priming (smell) and basecoating (overspray). When it come to camo and other small work I simply put some newspapers on the workbench and go from there. That kind of work doesn't generate much overspray and I'm working with acrylic so no smell.

That setup is very simple to build and cost was low (under $40 if I remember well).

HTH

Richard,

That is so cool! Makes me feel the fool for buying the Gunze Sangyo Mr. Booth (even though I only paid $125USD which is half the going rate). Matt, this should answer your question as well. Before Mr. Booth, my painting was done outside.

Regards,

Great stuff guys. Thanks. Richard's setup is very similar to what I had in mind. The pictures are very helpful too. I'm surprised how small the motor and fan are. Looks like it's in one self contained unit for simplicity. Always good.

Thanks for the ideas. If anyone else wants to show how they paint I'd love to see it too.

Matt

Matt,

Have a look at this portable spray booth: Compact Spray Booth

p26629b.jpg

IMO this is perfect for the person that needs to pack the spray booth away after use due to lack of space etc. I'm looking at getting one of these myself from a local supplier.

Rudi

Rudi Richardson wrote:
Matt,

Have a look at this portable spray booth: Compact Spray Booth

p26629b.jpg

IMO this is perfect for the person that needs to pack the spray booth away after use due to lack of space etc. I'm looking at getting one of these myself from a local supplier.

Rudi

Is that available in 240V Rudi ?

Jenny :kiss:

f1matt wrote:
Since moving to my new diggs I haven't continued any of my builds. Why? They are in need of paint and I don't have anywhere to spray. I need a new spray booth. I'd prefer to build one myself to help keep the cost reasonable. Any tips would be great.

Or let me now what you guys and gals do since I'm sure everyone has a slightly different setup. Perhaps something different from a traditional booth. I'm all ears. And tail according to my avatar.

Matt ;)

Hi there.

A neat trick I learned with regards to spray-booths (especially home-built ones) is to line it with a thin sponge foam. Just before you spray the paint you dampen that foam and it helps greatly in reducing back-spray from the rear and sides of the box.
A spray booth can be made from sheet-metal or plywood. I think that a plywood one would be easier to cut the parts for and also to assemble. Some people use an exhaust fan from a kitchen range-hood to extract the paint fumes and over-spray from the interior of the paint-booth. It's always a good idea to vent the paint-booth exhaust to the outdoors especially if you are using lacquers or enamels.

Cheers from Peter

Wish I could help cause I sure want to see how the Jug turns out. I think you got your answer Matt, now let's see it put to practice.

iowabrit wrote:
Usually over all the external surfaces.................. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

....oooh. :unsure:

Actually that was pretty good. :laugh:

That ready made booth looks like an interesting possibility. Currently have no money so if I go that route I'll have to wait a little. Went looking for a few parts to get an idea of what is available at some local stores. There's a few options that could work. Will do a little more looking and when I have some time and a little moola to spend I will get this project going.

I might even do an SBS.

Matt :D

Back