• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What did you do today?

We are under Blizzard warning now until noon tomorrow. 6"-10" of snow, wind increasing to 35mph with gust of 50mph+, windchill temp of -30F by tomorrow night. All this is to start happening by mid-afternoon. Now I am contemplating if I should go to work and if I do for how long before things start to get really bad here. I only have 8 miles to work but its all across open country roads. This makes perfect modeling weather if I had my bench setup.

Joe

We are under Blizzard warning now until noon tomorrow. 6"-10" of snow, wind increasing to 35mph with gust of 50mph+, windchill temp of -30F by tomorrow night. All this is to start happening by mid-afternoon. Now I am contemplating if I should go to work and if I do for how long before things start to get really bad here. I only have 8 miles to work but its all across open country roads. This makes perfect modeling weather if I had my bench setup.

Joe

Gives you something to do when not modeling. Setting up the bench. Seriously though traveling in those temps requires some planning. If you do take some candles and blanket and make sure your phone is charged. 1 candle can raise the temp inside a car by several degrees and might be the difference between freezing an not.
In an odd twist we are warning up again and it is only -9.4F going to 42.8F this week before dropping again by the weekend to -20 odd F for the weekend.
James

OK, went to work in deteriorating conditions and decided it isn't worth to wait till things get really bad so I took a day off and went back home. Here are a cpl pictures from my drive back home. And this is just the start of the storm. It hasn't even started to really snow yet. The cars in the second pictures are between 50 and a 100 yards in front of me.

0201111405.jpg

0201111406.jpg

OK an average Tuesday; got up at 7 drove to company, 1.5 hours; worked there till 7pm; drove back home, 0.45 hours :); had some chat with my wife and then went to the bench and now get to bed, fall asleep and get waken up at 6.30 ... and an average Wednesday will follow :)

Went to school today in the first of two storm systems we are getting hit with in the next day or so...came home in a lull in the storm and hopped on the tractor to plow. Just ate some hearty crock pot beef stew with ciabatta rolls and Code Red...I'll work out later and probably have a snow day tomorrow with another 16-24 inches predicted to fall...so more time riding the John Deere tomorrow...

Work Work Work...Work Work Work...Work Work Work...productive but aggravating, guess that's why they call it work.

HOORAY !!! ........ I'm sick as a dog with a bad cold , ......... took off Monday , went to the Doc Tuesday to get an Annie Oakley for work , ...... don't have to go back to work till Friday !!!!

got up at 6am, enjoyed my five decker java, let lovely puppy out for his business, froze my back off royally and told lovely puppy to get in gear, did shopping for cooking and prepped this:

millirahmstrudel1.jpg

millirahmstrudel2.jpg

sorry james! don't want to make you cry - that's a 'Milchrahmstrudel'! else than apple strudel it's made with milk, cream and curd! very delicious, very bavarian/austrian! :pp

what a contrast tomorrow's chili con carne will be!

oh that's ... that's ... that's just - it is just unfair! I'm getting hungry! You wont tell you eat this all your own :)

miammmmmmmmmmmmmiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Woke up Wednesday to read that senile groundhog failed to see his shadow, predicting an early spring. Yeah, right.
When I looked out the window, I saw four-foot drifts of snow up against the front of the house and garage. Somebody should have shot that stupid rodent when he peaked his furry head out his hole!
I don't know if the snow blower can handle it. The sun's out, but the snow's still blowing and drifting. The temperature's a balmy 15 degrees minus the windchill and growing colder. This sucks! I'm wondering why I transferred back to Chicago after living in Tampa for three years.
Oh, well. After I dig out from this mess, I'll get a chance to watch the mini-series "Pacific" that I purchased in advance of the "Historic Blizzard."
Peace and Love,
Randy

Sorry to break it to you, Randy ol' buddy, but shadow = 6 more weeks of winter!

I haven't done much yet besides getting up and having a cuppa coffee and of course preparing myself mentally for the task of digging myself out.

Laura, you make me homesick with your pics of good old german food.

After 2 hours of plowing and shoveling I am dug out and awaiting the next load...where shall I put it?

I almost envy you guys. Here is is very warm and that means everything turns to ice. Just found a nice patch and introduced knee to ground. :angry: Ouchy

James

got up at 6am, enjoyed my five decker java, let lovely puppy out for his business, froze my back off royally and told lovely puppy to get in gear, did shopping for cooking and prepped this:

millirahmstrudel1.jpg

millirahmstrudel2.jpg

sorry james! don't want to make you cry - that's a 'Milchrahmstrudel'! else than apple strudel it's made with milk, cream and curd! very delicious, very bavarian/austrian! :pp

what a contrast tomorrow's chili con carne will be!

I want details!!!What is that?

Busted my butt yesterday. Worked form home too. So, shoveling ice (can't use the snow thrower on this) clearing the deck, removing icicles, clearing the cars, and so on PLUS work from home.

Today must be better.

Regards,

Back