• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wanted: ex-kit 1:48th Junkers 88 cockpit/front fus

Mainly28s

I managed to get a 1:48th Hobbycraft Ju 88 at a really good price, but found (much to my disgust) that the cockpit is a total mess (mirror image, and poorly designed to boot).

I was wondering if any of you kind people out there might have a spare plastic cockpit lying about after replacing the kit contents of any other manufacturer's version with a resin kit that would look better than the junk I've got with my Hobbycraft kit? I can make whatever I get fit, but a scratch build is a little beyond my confidence level as a (re)starter (I haven't built a 'plane in more years than I care to remember, and this will be my first return to aviation in a long time).

Happy to work something out (I'm UK-based), but I can't justify spending more on a resin kit than the plane cost!

May I suggest you just Out Of The Box it and just get the feel for modeling back that way. If youre anything like I was it will take a few models just to relearn the trade Why make it more dificult and time consuming. :drinks

Dammit I just realised I still have a crapload to learn

Call me a mite pedantic, but if I know it's wrong, it'll bother me forever! I suspect it's a job-thing, but I can't leave things alone that are wrong, and this carries over into my real life.

Wish I could help, but I have no 1/48 scale kits left. CMK and Verlinden make replacement cockpits in resin. Even though they are made for the Monogram/dragon kit they should work with a little effort. Saw some on ebay. for a reasonable price.
Resin does have its own little tricks and peculiarities though. Ensure you wash it in soapy watewr first, avoid breathing in the dust when you cut and sand it, and glue with cyano glue or epoxy.
Hope that is of some help to you.
James

Wish I could help, but I have no 1/48 scale kits left. CMK and Verlinden make replacement cockpits in resin. Even though they are made for the Monogram/dragon kit they should work with a little effort. Saw some on ebay. for a reasonable price.
Resin does have its own little tricks and peculiarities though. Ensure you wash it in soapy watewr first, avoid breathing in the dust when you cut and sand it, and glue with cyano glue or epoxy.
Hope that is of some help to you.
James

James, I work with resin quite a bit- the masters I made/make for wargames companies are completed in resin, and I usually get a few to check the final product before release. It's really not that bad/difficult to work with. To be fair, my resin masters are not as detailed as models, as they need to be a little more sturdy for use in wargaming.

My main problem is just that I can't justify spending as much as or more than the cost of the plane on extras. Who knows, maybe I'll feel confident enough to do the cockpit myself when I get to it.

Back