• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Up -Armored Farmer

Hi everyone - and thank you very much for following along.

Let's get busy with the armor. Not having experience painting this type of finish before this was basically an exercise in the blind leading the blind. It appears that the inspiration tractor in the photo is covered in basic sheet metal. I decided to portray my tractor with something a little more substantial - steel plates. So here it goes....

...underlying base color of a grey/blue (steel color?) with a little dark/rusty colored pre-shade around the panels.

61ps.jpg

Sealed with Future and then a layer of hairspray...

62ps.jpg

Acrylic colors on - and then taken off using the hair spray technique....and then put on again. The idea was to get as much depth and interest to the steel plates as possible.

63ps.jpg

64ps.jpg

I decided to break things up a little bit and went ahead and added a "sheet metal" sign to the roof. I made a quick stencil on the computer - the letters P and E - for no reason at all....

66ps.jpg

Oh - I forgot to mention that I had given the "sheet metal" a misting of hair spray before I added the graphic - and then I scrubbed a little to show some age and wear...

67ps.jpg

I decided to highlight the welds using Reaper Pewter - this step will be repeated time and time again to refresh the color...

69ps.jpg

The process continues - Filters, oils, and finally a touch of pigments...

70ps.jpg

72ps.jpg

73ps.jpg

I misted a light layer of Fixer to "set" the pigments...

74ps.jpg

The devil is in the details - the metal edges of the radiator armor are highlighted using Model Masters Burnt Steel...

78ps.jpg

Ok - and here we are at the moment....

109ps.jpg

108ps.jpg

106ps.jpg

This is Not the End! Next will be figures and base.

Thanks,
Rick

Outstanding Rick, but if I may add, those welds, if they have any age on them would have rust on them also. Unless this is a really fresh weld job.

really neat touch with the roof panel, adds lots of character.

Rick, but if I may add, those welds, if they have any age on them would have rust on them also. Unless this is a really fresh weld job.

Honestly, I wasn't really sure on the physics of it all. I like the bright spots for ascetic reasons, but I may tone them done a bit for the sake of realism. Well see.:blink

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
Rick

Rick, but if I may add, those welds, if they have any age on them would have rust on them also. Unless this is a really fresh weld job.

Honestly, I wasn't really sure on the physics of it all. I like the bright spots for ascetic reasons,
Rick

Physics?? :blink

Hey it works for me, still rocks, looks great! I'm more thrilled that I was able to see this before going to work today. :mpup :D

Gorgeous stuff Rick.

No worries on the welds, just say they are stainless steel welds. Look at the picture below and you will see the same type of thing.

:peace

post-2370-1240587216.jpg

I´ll start making LEGO kits .... I just feel overhelmed by your work Rick!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Impressive ... incredible ... soooooooooooooooooooooooo beauty!

Hi guys and thanks for the very supportive comments.

Not a lot of bench time lately, but I did make a little progress. I am working on some figures for the scene - not sure how many will actually make it to the finale (1-3). You see, I am still struggling to compose my idea for the dio!!!! Oh bother. :(

Anyway, here is a WIP of one of the guys. This fellow is from Warriors and has been sculpted by my friend Bill Chilstrom. Odd, but the figure bares a resemblance to Bill himself, hum!

80p.jpg

Still a ways to go on this guy.

Stay tuned and thanks,
Rick

Back