• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Final Reveal

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Interior Part Three

Work continues. Two updates in three days, wow.

Watching YouTube was good for me and I was able to make some decent progress.

The radio is 99% finished.

SCR-274-5_zps9xv6nlfd.jpg

SCR-274-6_zpsmwesepyf.jpg

All that is left is the wiring after it is installed into the fuselage.

I was able to work a bit on the port side with the fabrication and addition of boxes and fittings.

Interior-4_zpsdt2xjguo.jpg

I worked a bit on the rear of the cockpit bulkhead.

Interior-3_zpsvdpinhn6.jpg

I then threw some paint. On the interior of the fuselage I sprayed Gloss Gray and then Alclad Chrome.

Interior-2_zpsbpkbxkzr.jpg

And then with the rear of the cockpit I sprayed Gloss Black and Alclad Chrome. To show the comparison.

Interior-1_zpsqwihyjf9.jpg

There we go. i am thinking I can now move onto the cockpit.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Joe are you using references on the radios and stuff or just creative license?

Think it would be more interesting to see some zinc chromate on the longrons and ribs.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

You'll see a couple of shots of that here.

Many thanks all for looking in.

MP I am using what I can find for pictures. Unfortunately what I am finding is not showing the radio in place. I have Squadron Signal Walk Around for the Wildcat but there are only two pictures even showing the radio. One fore and one aft. Some of what I am doing is my interpretation of what I know and have found. I have found two sets of photos for the interior of the fuselage and both show the interior in black and white with either Aluminium Dope paint or natural metal. However neither of those sets actually show the radio equipment.

Joe

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Part One

Well folks here I am again and after a couple of days of fighting with Photobucket I can post an update.

First up I began working on the cockpit. Here is the bare bones and the kit pieces in place.

Cockpit-6_zpsrwyqesvm.jpg

Using these photos out of Squadron Signal Walk Around for the Wildcat I began to fabricate the sides. This is for discussion only.

Ref-1_zps0lnwvufj.jpg

I went off of them and this is what I ended up with.

Cockpit-5_zpscvsmmtsg.jpg

Cockpit-4_zpsd9dvfn5u.jpg

I was pleased. Then I turned the page and found these. Again for discussion only.

Ref-2_zpslukhk1xi.jpg

Ref-3_zpsg6wgz3fp.jpg

At that point I noticed several big issues that I just could not live with. I scraped some of the detail off and redid it. Here is the result.

Cockpit-2_zpsfyvyfhmw.jpg

Cockpit-3_zpsqgcco5is.jpg

And the cockpit floor.

Cockpit-1_zpsx2fpgm1t.jpg

And there you have it.

I like it.

Next up is color for the pit.

Joe

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Part One

Just a brief update.

Attention is now turned to the cockpit fully.  With most of the parts fabricated I can throw a bit of paint on and then some detail painting.

Cockpit-7_zpsqcouhrxl.jpg

Actually pretty happy with this but I do see some areas that will need a touch up.

I could not help myself and I jumped ahead a little and started working on the firewall as well.

Firewall-1_zpsl4oenp8t.jpg

Still a long way to go before I can turn my full attention to that.  Next up is to add some of the detail that I have not fabricated yet as well as working on the instrument panel.

Joe

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Part Two

I'll be interested to know what you do with the chain drive gear retraction system. :popcorn

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Part Two

Many many thanks. MP I am trying to figure that one out.

Joe

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Part Three

Another really quick update.

The cockpit comes closer to being finished.

Some detail painting as well as a pretty heavy handed wash with Acrylics.

Cockpit-8%202_zpstdabtkil.jpg

Cockpit-9_zpsts6iwczk.jpg

Cockpit-10_zpsd8q7rrgm.jpg

Other than the seat and headrest it is done. I am a bit put off by the seat though and will be searching for a replacement. Next up will be to finish it off and then set it aside.

I also did a bit more on the firewall and gave it color and an over all wash.

Firewall-2_zps9tjglsxe.jpg

The color is Alclad Chrome over Testors Gloss Gray. I still have to pick out some of the details. And I will say this now. The chain gear are going to stay. I had zero luck trying to get my hands on replacements. I know they are out there but I had no luck finding chain that looked anywhere near what the real chain looked like.

Time to put color on the engine/landing gear mount and get it detailed.

Joe

Trumpeter F4F-3 Early 1/32...Cockpit Finished

An update.

The cockpit is finished off. From the kit we have the floor, rear bulkhead, inner frame (where the seat rests), the control stick, and the instrument panel and frame. The seat is a resin cast of the seat out of the Hasegawa P-40E. All the detail work is scratchbuilt.

Cockpit-11_zpsdmd6xopl.jpg

Cockpit-10_zpsa7val3kd.jpg

The firewall is almost complete. I went with the molded in chains for the gear as I could not get my hands on decent replacements. I also added a number of things that I had seen in pictures but were not represented in the kit.

Firewall-3_zpsii26jni5.jpg

Now next, logically, should be the engine. I am going to detour just a bit and work on the landing gear as there are some hoses and fittings that will need to be constructed and they fit into the firewall.

Joe

Back