• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona (new photos 2-17)

Paul, your problem-solving Kung Fu is strong indeed! I love the shot with the flashlight and straightedge- brilliantly simple. In fact, the whole hull correction shows how careful forethought can be distilled to a simple and practical solution. Nice work on the prop shafts as well- cheers!

Beautiful.

Just in case, though you may be aware, I wasn't until I need some for the RC U-boat, there's a company that makes brass props cast from the kit pieces for a lot of diffrent large ship models. They're called G Factor and I'm pretty sure I came across an Arizona set when I was searching for the MTB.

Thanks Jeff. Yes I was aware of G-factor and their props. They also make landing gear but I won't ever buy any more of the landing gear. The set I got for the Revell Ju88 that is currently a shelf queen, were horrible, didn't fit (were too small in ALL dimensions) and that is why I have not got a set of props already. It seems I read that the early props for the Az were wrong just like the kit props. Suposedly they are correct now but I will check first. If they are still off I believe Shapeways can print in brass or bronze. :hmmm

Thanks for your kind comments Ed and Piet!

Chuck I really appreciate your praise. Watching your builds has a lot to do with how I think outside the box on a lot of my solutions.

Thanks again for looking in everyone.

Really a fantastic build so far...my congratulations,Paul :salute

Luiz

Just a little update here folks. Some more tedious work on the hull and a little something different. I decided to build up one of the 5"/51 caliber secondary guns and check it height wise against the lower superstructure openings.

There were some modifications done to make a big change in the gun mount partly to use the Eduard PE and a bit of scratch building to make the little gun look more like it is supposed to.

Enjoy

Arizona-041.jpg

Arizona-042.jpg

Arizona-043.jpg

Arizona-044.jpg

Arizona-045.jpg

Arizona-046.jpg

Arizona-047.jpg

Arizona-048.jpg

Arizona-049.jpg

Arizona-050.jpg

Arizona-051.jpg

Arizona-052.jpg

Arizona-053.jpg

Arizona-054.jpg

Arizona-055.jpg

I will probably get the rest of the guns assembled while I still remember how it was done. I am sure there will be improvement in them as they are built so the 2 nicest ones will end up on upper deck with the 5"/25 AA guns.

There is a bit more hull work I could do, the decision is do I want to do major rework or medial work to get things looking good. I will be pondering for a little bit yet.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions, been looking at the 5"/51 caliber guns all week doing research.

Last edited:

Hey that's not fair, you pulled that gear out of someone's watch! I was hoping you'd show us how to use that divider thing I got with my lathe.

Looking good Paul. :popcorn

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona (new photos 2-23)

Divider thing? Is that like a thing-a-muh-jig? :huh:

Eduard has 8 PE parts to add to each gun. I figured out a number of other changes that should be done as well. :D

Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona (new photos 2-22)

Decided last night I had better get the other 5"/51 guns going while all the little mods and changes are still fresh in my mind. There are parts for 12 guns though I think only 10 are used (not sure am at work).

Get it all set up and do it assembly line for all the changes and such. I will get a more consistant look to them that way as I can make all the little add in parts at the same time and all the part modifications and they will look the same. I will try and get some reference photos of what I am doing showing the mod steps to the parts as I do this.

You should know me though, it will be next week before I can get the pics put together to post. Doing these is almost going to be as bad as assembling track links.

Absolutely an amazing job so far, Paul.. :notworthy :notworthy

I guess these are the perks of modelling such giants... the amount of detail is impressive. Looking forward to learning more from you! :drinks

Cheers

Alex

My thanks everyone for your kind comments! :notworthy

It seems that this particular kit and subject has completely caught my imagination. This subject has been on my "want to build" list for many years ever since the Banner 1/350 kit came out. When the Trumpeter 1/200 came out my initial thought was why bother. Once I saw it built up it stuck in the back of my mind with constant reminders popping up from Eduard with their PE sets and sale prices by Micro Mark.

The last time I built a ship model was in the early 70's and it was the large Revell Constitution kit. It was for some friends of my parents and totally burned me out on building ship models. Till now.

Dr Alex, I have always loved doing Uber detail on models. Only in recent years have my skills caught up with my desire. It is still taking some work to step away from making stuff "EXACTLY" like the original to where it "APPEARS" to look like the original. Watching Chukw's work has helped a lot in that regard.

As to the huge model, outside of the hull parts it seems to be a bunch of small models that then join for the whole. Each of the 5"/51 guns has 6 plastic and 1 brass part in the kit. Eduard then adds 8 PE parts. Then with the added corrective detail changes I make there are an additional 16 little plastic parts added or reused in a slightly different way. That amounts to 31 parts per gun. A mini model all by itself and there are 10 of them on the Az. :huh: :blink

Crap! No wonder it takes me so long to build anything! :facepalm

Back