• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Workhorse

So I am going to go with on of these:

h3dd2408.JPG

I bought the Masterpiece Models kit for $10 in Atlanta. it is missing directions though. the tracks look pretty cheap too. The Tamiya is also missing tracks (see below) but has the advantage of having this update kit:

h856771a.JPG

Ok so this brings up a question. Will this set of tracks fit either kit?

h5d71740.JPG

So anyhoo, that is my either/or choice.

Which kit to build?...That's a toughy...Here are some thoughts

The MP Kit is...ah "Rustic" and will require a bit of TLC. Don't get me wrong it can definitely be built into a nice looking kit. Not 100% sure that the AFV tracks will fit but unless the drive sprocket is out of proportion I would think that the track should fit reasonably will.

Now that Tamiya M51....I consider it to be one of the best Sherman kits on the markit...Yes I'm Tamiya fan boy. I mean no other company out there really has got the engineering of kits down like Tamiya. So it will be quick and easy build out of the box. The AFV tracks will fit this kit, just take your time as they are a bit on the fiddly. The LP 83...opps I mean 73 update set will make an already awesome kit just that much better.

So Bruce considering what you have told me about your Magach M60 Blazer build I think you enjoy the M51 over the MP kit at this time.

Hope that was helpful
:v

Moon Pup paid a little more than that for his...
:mpup
IMG_6898.JPG

From 2014, where does time go? There are some additional pix on page 2.

https://www.modelersalliance.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1436&page=3

Where does time go? You ask there, Mike? the future, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIARNcFlRbQ

We took delivery of our 41 aircraft between 1963 and 1969. We just retired them in Dec 2018.

Cheers,
Rich

Ok so this brings up a question. Will this set of tracks fit either kit?

h5d71740.JPG

The answer is that it will fit both.

While the MP Models kit is ancient, it was designed by Bill Miley (of CMD fame) and is very accurate although the details are 'clunky.' Only one belly panel was off from my survey and measurements of the real M4A4 (which the hull represents).

Regards,

A couple of us have been discussing this Campaign that will focus on vehicles, be that Land, Sea or Air. So the we would want systems that were produced in large numbers and where the back bone in it's given area.

Define large numbers? I was contemplating an EA-6B Prowler for this a bit down the road once I get some other projects cleared off the bench. Grumman only produced 170 of them, but they were the backbone of airborne electronic warfare for the USN & USMC (and USAF from 1998) for over 45 years (1971-2018).

If not, I'll probably look at an A-6E.

Grumman only produced 170 of them, but they were the backbone of airborne electronic warfare for the USN & USMC (and USAF from 1998) for over 45 years (1971-2018).

The Prowlers certainly did the bulk of EA/EP for the USN. I had the privilege of coordinating flight operations between several EA "ELVIS" flight rotations and AWACS during my many deployments to Turkey in the 90s enforcing the Northern No-Fly Zone in Iraq.

They have always had a soft spot in my hart...so by all means do'em up!!

A little inspiration... :pilot

h9f5e407.jpg

h1d21d5d.jpg

h1c14e4c.jpg

The Prowlers certainly did the bulk of EA/EP for the USN. I had the privilege of coordinating flight operations between several EA "ELVIS" flight rotations and AWACS during my many deployments to Turkey in the 90s enforcing the Northern No-Fly Zone in Iraq.

They have always had a soft spot in my hart...so by all means do'em up!!

A little inspiration... :pilot

It'll be a VAQ-135 bird from either WESTPAC95 or 96/97...I forget what I've got decals for (or can piece together). If you were there in either May to October 1995 or November 1996 to March 1997 then you worked with our birds while we were deployed.

A couple of us have been discussing this Campaign that will focus on vehicles, be that Land, Sea or Air. So the we would want systems that were produced in large numbers and where the back bone in it's given area.

Define large numbers? I was contemplating an EA-6B Prowler for this a bit down the road once I get some other projects cleared off the bench. Grumman only produced 170 of them, but they were the backbone of airborne electronic warfare for the USN & USMC (and USAF from 1998) for over 45 years (1971-2018).

So, in accordance with the above, TS-11 Iskra - polish training jet built in the amount of about 420 planes in the years 1963-1987, which is still in use, can be considered as a "work horse", is not it?

pzlts11iskra-01-31fc3df7c899e453,750,470,0,0.jpg

TS-11_Iskra_MR.jpg

19-pzl_ts-11_iskra.jpeg

17678.jpg

I don't see why not :coolio

I'm not getting into the weeds here as long as a good case can be given as to why the builder feels that their subject of choice is a "Workhorse"

It's all about having fun!!

So, in accordance with the above, TS-11 Iskra - polish training jet built in the amount of about 420 planes in the years 1963-1987, which is still in use, can be considered as a "work horse", is not it?

pzlts11iskra-01-31fc3df7c899e453,750,470,0,0.jpg

TS-11_Iskra_MR.jpg

19-pzl_ts-11_iskra.jpeg

17678.jpg

I would think so! I would also think the little French built Fouga Magister that looks a tad like this would be used as well, being in service with the IAF for so long, and of course the US T-38 supersonic trainer would be a workhorse too, as countless US pilots have been trained on that machine

I would like to jump into this Campaign but I would like a confirmation that this meets the reg's.
WW1 Mark IV Battle tank " Hermophrodite". 1220 mark 4's were built and obviously were the main tank for the Brit's at the time and this variant came about due to the Germans using captured British tanks.
And as we know these were the foundation's of today's tanks. Anyhoo let me know if this fits the rule's enough.

Kurt. :salute

As stated before...

I'm not getting into the weeds here as long as a good case can be given as to why the builder feels that their subject of choice is a "Workhorse"

It's all about having fun!!

Mark IV Battle tank " Hermophrodite" fits by me so I say go for it. Definitely the Mig-21 as well!!! :good:

OK, I'll admit it, I'm sorry but I completely forgot about this Campaign and I've just cracked-open a 1:48 IL2 - pretty much defines 'Workhorse' if you were fighting for the Soviets in the 'Great Patriotic War' wouldn't you say ?

If it's OK with the 'show runners' It'll be my entry :idonno

Ian.

Back