• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Maus that squeaked.

It has been a while since I posted anything on this. Just have not had a lot of zoom to do much. Also the paint was going to be quite intimidating. I am trying to do a single documented vehicle here and trying to get it somewhat accurate. (There is a reason on this but won't go into it here now)

Anyway I spent some time struggling with the paint and here is what I have for now.

Maus_V2-040.jpg

Maus_V2-041.jpg

Maus_V2-042.jpg

Maus_V2-043.jpg

Maus_V2-044.jpg

Maus_V2-045.jpg

Maus_V2-046.jpg

Maus_V2-047.jpg

The brown will be even more of a pain. So far so good.

Its looking good. You probably already know but maybe other people may not, the cam colours came in pucks and in the field would be mixed with fuel or thinner or diesel or whatever was handy. Then painted with airbrush or mop or whatever they had. So the consistency was all over the place. As this would be coming off the line I would assume an airbrush was handy and looking at the pictures it does look so. They also exhibit the inconstant thinning. I have had some luck thinning the cam colour very thin and then using low air pressure. Get close to the surface and be sparing on the quantity and air pressure. This should give you a translucent coat. You can go over more often to get more depth. I found this way made it easier to show that barely covered to deep colour in each squiggle. I hope this is of some use to you.
James

WOW THAT IS JUST GREAT WORK!

really, I especially like the way you 1-copied the actual pattern, & 2-used a combo of brush & airbrush to get the look just right!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion James that was exactly what I was trying to do.

I found that by doing the brush first gave some of the effect I was trying then with the paint thinned way down I kept going over the lines over and over and over to soften the edges and darken it in while leaving some of the edges. When I want them a little less vibrant I will take some clear flat and mix the Humbrol with it and go over it. Couldn't get the Humbrol to work with real fine spray it just kept clogging and then would unexpectedly let loose with a large amount and splatter. I started with the green as it was closer to the base color and thus could be covered easier.

The Vallejo tends to collect on the needle tip but I found that adding some Vallejo thinner as well as the water helped a lot. It just takes a lot of time to get the patterning just right. The Vallejo guy at Wonderfest just used water to thin with but he wasn't trying to do real fine line work either. The only thing I have ever been able to spray super fine has been ink.

Hi Paul . For my quarter's worth , I can do this with the Tamiya colors . As James said , thin them very well and spray at around 8-10 PSI . Multiple passes.

The real thing looks to be airbrushed but the painter was very inconsistent in his work . ( Can't ask much from slave labor ) . :S

So, that leaves you in a place where it needs not be perfect :good:

About Trumpeter kits: From what I read they seem to be either quite good or horrible :smack . I have never read someone saying middle of the road quality.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice work Paul :coolio , I have a dragon maus that I did many years ago that is still waiting for paint, this Is a good inspiration to try on mine..

Abdin

Thanks for looking in Christian and Abdin. I found that to get the pattern somewhat close it helped to use some exceedingly thinned paint to plan and position the edges and heavy areas. I printed out some 1/1 scale (to the model) black and white photo copies and with it a color rendition to get the colors planned. I still need to do this with the front and back of the kit. It took so much effort to just do the green that I am taking a break and doing something with a simple to paint mono color scheme. The Vallejo worked better than the Humbrol and it worked even better after adding some Vallejo thinner to the mix.

Abdin I will be glad to send you a PDF of the final references I do that you can then print out. It was a huge help to have the references the same size as what I was trying to paint. I just don't have them all done yet (The front and back) It is a lot easier than looking at a photo that doesn't quite relate when you have the reference the same size.

For now I am building a simple scout car for the Afrikan campaign. Turning into a lot more modding than I originally thought it would. I built that kit many years ago and so have some idea how it would have turned out. It is mostly a single color with a lot of weathering and that I know won't give me any real problems.

Back