• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Wespe Finally Finished!

Thank you, my friends! I spent the afternoon and early evening Thursday at the bench, the Modelkasten tracks were next up. This is an old set I got in a gift exchange, how old is undetermined, but it has Marco Polo on the label. :laugh:

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

IMG_6021.JPG

I have never built a set of these tracks, but other than having to cut the links from the sprues, they went together well and have a degree of workability.

IMG_6022.JPG

Next up, road wheels. I like to spray my road wheels with Color Place Flat black prior to painting the centers. The Color Place is cheap, less than a dollar at Walmart and the flat black is a good rubber color. The flat finish allows dry brushing later too. I use a plastic circle template to mask the tires, mask around the right sized hole, position the wheel behind the template and mist paint onto the wheel. Instantly done!

IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

I'll let them dry before giving them a couple washes to bring up the detail. Moving along, the gun needs to be painted before I can attach the upper hull.

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

I ran out of time, so I only got the base color on, AK Interactive's Dunkelgelb Base AK 006.

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

I plan to add highlights with the AK German Dunkelgelb Special Modulation kit AK 002, the kit has premixed colors that spray very well right from the bottle. I wasn't blessed with that art gene, so I have to take advantage where I can. :laugh:

Well, that's how I spent my Thursday. Today is our family's Thanksgiving, I hope to get back at the bench tomorrow. Thanks for checking in!

:drinks

Dang it,Mike!...do you want us to come back with a can opener,just to see back that fine looking
driversstation. :D

Looks good for sure! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Work with the Modelkasten tracks is tedious but final result is great :ro: B) Great progress Mike! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Dear Mike.

I have of this on my stash...your assembly is of great value to me...thanks for sharing you work :coolio

Luiz.

Thanks for the kind words, my friends! I picked the Wespe up again today while waiting on the Panther oils to dry. I had painted and washed the road wheels, the tracks were assembled, so all I had to do was install the running gear.

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

I got nervous about the Modelkasten tracks coming apart during paint and installation, so I treated them like I do with Dragon Magic Tracks. I brushed them liberally with Testors Liquid Cement, waited about 10 minutes, then primed both sides with Tamiya grey primer. I used a hair dryer to force the primer dry and then painted the links with Tamiya Flat Earth. Back to the hair dryer and then to the bench for some Citadel Boltgun down the center of the tracks to represent the polished surface of the tracks.

IMG_6046.JPG

I then wrapped the run around the sprockets et al and snapped the last links together.

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

A test fit of the upper hull, just for grins. :D

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

Going to wait until tomorrow to wash the tracks and the interior. Stay tuned, lots more to come!

Back