• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TAMIYA T-72

SO here is the latest. I Admit I did not have AK thinner and that was the issue I think, by the time I got to 3rd of six, I was having MAJOR issues with the AB clogging up! yes , I DID have the correct 'retarder' and tried both distilled water and windex. After considerable frustration I just said "Oh the heck with this" and re-used some of the dark base color I still had to cover up the worst of the clogging and "all-or-nothing" Paint blasts.

I achieved and OK look for now, again, I MAY try it with the thinner, but so far, my two experiences with acrylics (this one and a Merkava using Valejo Air) have been a LOT more trouble than they are worth. For the $30 I spent for these 6 paints, I could have spent less than half that for Tamiya and just mixed as I went, which is what I may try the next time 'round.

h14328a7.JPG

hea73b47.JPG

hb8b0e1b.JPG

h4b072db.JPG

h33737dc.JPG

he24111b.JPG

Got the day off?

I would say you didn't have it then enough.
But I gotta add this...OR, it could be some of those freakin CHUNKS of dried paint you leave in your airbrush... :smack :mpup

Looks good though. :soldier

Got the day off?

I would say you didn't have it then enough.
But I gotta add this...OR, it could be some of those freakin CHUNKS of dried paint you leave in your airbrush... :smack :mpup

Looks good though. :soldier

Chunk not there sine you cleaned it last...and man did that stuff build some chunks!

Yep took the day off

Broke down & ordered the thinner, this sure seems an odd way to run a circus though. 'Spensive paint, special thinner, keep dabbing the tip. Seems alot of effort to simply say "I use acrylics....."

That does seem like a lot of work for acrylics. I'll stick with my Model Masters for as long as I can get them.

Despite the issues you had, you did get a very nice coat of paint on this. I commend you on the quality given the difficulties you faced. It is a testament to your talent and skill to overcome adversity well.

Three little things.

1. Never start out with an AB which may or may not be clean enough .

2. Use the proper thinner before complaining .

3. Experiment with new methods on a junk piece before sacrificing a good item .

As an observation about the soviet ideology , it has long been . Build cheaply but in large quantity .
Semi trained soldiers are expendable. Overwhelm by sheer numbers.
By their standards , your paint job might be quite acceptable :blink

Regards, Christian B)

STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A TANK!
Yep, taking your time with good equipment and experimenting on a junk piece makes all the difference! So now all I need to do is touch-up, a small amount of weathering, and those final bits and pieces! (cables, ditching log, turret MG, etc.) Coming along nicely, the 4BO Modulation paints really are the way to go!

h712eb14.JPG

hca52425.JPG

he22ec79.JPG

hf631b6f.JPG

Glad you're making progress. How about a couple plain background photos? A sheet or a towel on the kitchen table works wonders to show your work.

Will do, just not today. I had taken it outside, as the little Canon pocket camera seems to work best in natural light. Will see what I can come up with to setup on da' porch.

Glad you're making progress. How about a couple plain background photos? A sheet or a towel on the kitchen table works wonders to show your work.

better? I think the light in he back bedroom is too strong, but the blue fleece blanket made for a decent backdrop

h3f33352.JPG

hce05c9c.JPG

hd072021.JPG

h54a2c12.JPG

hb4085c5.JPG

B) pretty cool tank these....I am not sure how good they were but they make for a great looking model.
Nice one!
You need to offset the yellow bulb light to show your green properly. If it's a digital camera there should be a setting for the correct lighting.

Ian.

B) pretty cool tank these....I am not sure how good they were but they make for a great looking model.
Nice one!
You need to offset the yellow bulb light to show your green properly. If it's a digital camera there should be a setting for the correct lighting.

Ian.

Thanks! On the lighting I will try that! I am also not pleased with the mantlet cover, it is "too green" and am going to have do something different there.

The T-72 was a good tank verses, say the leopard I and the M60 series (the export versions that fared poorly were crewed mostly by poorly trained/motivated crews) but by the time the Leopard II, the Challenger, and the Abrams came along, they were outmoded, and the Russkies were forced into a "me too" catch up game, that is why they finally gave in and developed something totally different, the Armata, but I will believe it is a b actual in-use tank when I see it equipping their forces and not marching in parades

As you say though...neat model!

Ok so the Tamiya T-72 is not complete! I have much good use of my time off this week, completing my 3rd model, and getting another one rolling! That leaves only two open on the bench! (actually in the cabinet, as I work off the Kitchen table, no man cave for me!)

At any rate, here it is! I used Wilder Weathering powders on this and man it has exceeded my expectations by far! Handily and far & away my best work yet!!!

h7a6c2f6.JPG

ha1d581f.JPG

h1fd8ecf.JPG

hfb24a55.JPG

h79b30c1.JPG

h79c026a.JPG

h2898c61.JPG

hdf6a1c3.JPG

ha63372a.JPG

heeaef25.JPG

Very nice work! Just started my vacation yesterday! Hoping to be as successful as you ;)

Well Congrats on getting some time off! I started working fulltime in 1985, this is the FIRST company that I have ever worked for that actually TOOK TIME OFF...& I am digging it!

Back