• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Complete!

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Here Goes Nuthin'!

Actually stumbled on the propaganda flick by mistake .....Makes me thankful I did not become a ground pounder .

On the other hand , I did enjoy watching the HS 129 's.

Way to go Mike . Keep it going (y) Those wooden handles look great.

Cheers, Christian B)

The occasion to wet sand the Stynylrez still hasn't arisen, but I did dry sand a couple places and the recoat blended perfectly. I've been putting this off long enough and since I was at a stopping point on my Semovente, what the hell? Let's do this! To ze laboratory!

Following a couple liberal coats of cheap hairspray, I thinned Tamiya German Grey with X-20A thinner and sprayed an overall light coat.

h27511c4.JPG

h6ea03f3.JPG

I lightened the mix with a few drops of Tamiya flat white and shot the panel centers.

h4bee46e.JPG

he8995aa.JPG

hdb86666.JPG

h06ac5f4.JPG

hfefefae.JPG

I then used a little water and a flat brush to wear the surfaces.

h56f2641.JPG

hc9257b4.JPG

Letting the surfaces dry before a coat of Future in preparation for decals. This was a little nerve wracking, but I think I had fun. :laugh:

Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Might be on to something new. :popcorn

From what I see, the experiment was a success!

It looks very good to me from here!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thank you, my friends! I can't take credit for the idea, it's something that peaked my interest from the internet. The real test of the experiment is yet to come. :eek:hmy: Stay tuned and thanks for taking time to comment.

Thank you, my friends! I can't take credit for the idea, it's something that peaked my interest from the internet. The real test of the experiment is yet to come. :eek:hmy: Stay tuned and thanks for taking time to comment.

Oh, OK! I thought that was the trick! Can't wait to see what else is coming!

Enjoying this Mike! You're going to fit right into the Master's Forum!

Bob

Looking good Mike. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Many thanks, my friends! I have been struggling with my vision AGAIN, so decided to switch to something a littler bigger. I've never done a whitewash, so this is really feeling my way.

After a couple generous coats of AK Heavy Chipping Fluid, I worked the lower hull earlier, then applied a coat of very thin Tamiya Flat White randomly over the balance of the fenders and hulls.

h5015be1.JPG

hf4b6b95.JPG

he75b92e.JPG

Using a couple different brushes and tap water, I "wore" the whitewash off.

hd2023e7.JPG

h418557e.JPG

h403caf2.JPG

h1098298.JPG

It's kind of rough in places, going to work them over a bit, but it looks pretty much the way I envisioned it. I wasn't impressed with the AK washable white, it doesn't spray smoothly. It may be that it got frozen in transit, but you'd think they'd figure the formulation out. :idonno

More to come, thanks for coming by.

(y) Looking good ,i like whitewash panzers

Feeling your way with the whitewash?

You could have fooled me! Looks great Mike!

Bob

Well that is great work, Mike! I have been thinking about something similar with the Sdlfz.250Greif I have yet to give up on. Mike, do you find that the coat the future before the decals aids in preventing silvering?

Many thanks, my friends! I have been struggling with my vision AGAIN, so decided to switch to something a littler bigger. I've never done a whitewash, so this is really feeling my way.

After a couple generous coats of AK Heavy Chipping Fluid, I worked the lower hull earlier, then applied a coat of very thin Tamiya Flat White randomly over the balance of the fenders and hulls.

h5015be1.JPG

hf4b6b95.JPG

he75b92e.JPG

Using a couple different brushes and tap water, I "wore" the whitewash off.

hd2023e7.JPG

h418557e.JPG

h403caf2.JPG

h1098298.JPG

It's kind of rough in places, going to work them over a bit, but it looks pretty much the way I envisioned it. I wasn't impressed with the AK washable white, it doesn't spray smoothly. It may be that it got frozen in transit, but you'd think they'd figure the formulation out. :idonno

More to come, thanks for coming by.

Yes Mike!....very nice effects :good: ... Great job so far :eek:ldguy

Luiz

Thank you to all for the nice comments. :good:

Decals need a smooth surface to adhere to or they will silver. I clear coated over the decals prior to the whitewash as the scrubbing could damage the decals.

Now if I could just find the set of tracks I cleaned for this build... :facepalm

Much more to come. Thanks for dropping by.

Just a random thought but I wonder if maybe it was meant to be brushed on ?

Cheers, Christian B)

White wash looks good Mike. Once you get it coated in mud and dirt and weathered, should look great!
:popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

The bottle says brushable/ air brushable, it sputters and spits when sprayed without thinning and really wasn't much better when thinned with their acrylic thinner. :idonno

I'll stick to what works for me. :mpup

Where are those damned tracks??? :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

The bottle says brushable/ air brushable, it sputters and spits when sprayed without thinning and really wasn't much better when thinned with their acrylic thinner. :idonno

I'll stick to what works for me. :mpup

Where are those damned tracks??? :bang head

Not here :idonno Might need to interrogate those toothy character :rotf

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment The Whitewash

Very Kuhl! Ostketten throw stuff all over, because they should!!
(y)
:dude
:ro:

Doggone it that is some fine work there, Mikey!

Ya know, for a guy that says he has eye issues, you produce models with fine detail!!!

Back