• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider - Finished

Phil

Starting this one today.

DSC_1092sr.jpg~original

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider

I have this kit so I'll be watching.

:popcorn

finished the pit and the Dump Truck driver, couldn't get any am for it so a straight oob build.
DSC_1122sr.jpg~original

Good work, Matey - when you get further-on and decide whether you're doing an Air Force or Navy machine, give a care to your loadout... Years back on another (quite intense) modelling website I respectfully advised the builder of a quite superb (Navy) A-1 that he'd may like to remove the Air Force bomblet dispensers for the sake of accuracy...

...That didn't go-down too well, and I've never posted their since !!

Ian

No worries there Ian it's a Navy machine with no Army load outs in the kit.

last look before it gets swallowed up

unfortunately two decals got ripped off with blu tac balls when i tried to keep the dials shiny after the future treatment, so just flatcoated the lot
DSC_1140px.jpg~original

DSC_1138px.jpg~original

DSC_1139px.jpg~original

DSC_1137px.jpg~original

DSC_1144px.jpg~original

DSC_1143px.jpg~original

Now I know why one of the nic-names was the flying dump truck! This is a big kit!

Silver base on, a few bits to do then onto the main paint scheme.
DSC_1213s.jpg~original

DSC_1215s.jpg~original

:popcorn It is a large airplane and most missions were about bringing stuff and dropping it off (y)

Noticed the pilot is wearing his side arm . Good detail from the kit maker .

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good. One of my fav Vietnam birds is the Spad. Cant wait to see more.
James

What sort of weapons options does it have Phil?

Along with the centre drop tank, two wing tanks ( did they use these for napalm? or are those totally different?) or two 2000 lb bombs, 12 5in air to ground rockets, 12 250lb bombs, 4 2.75in FFAR rocket pods, 6 2.75in rocket tubes.

Would be very surprised to see napalm on carrier-based machine. However they did deploy to land bases from time-to-time. Still don't think I've seen a Navy A-1 with firebombs.

Ian

Sure the Navy has/had Napalm weapons. It was used from Carriers against Tinian and Iwo Jima. Napalm was not used as a weapon from fuel tanks, no way to install a fuse unless it's jerryrigged, and that's not something you want to jerryrig. The current weapon is the Mk77 but I don't think that is what was used when I was a loader. Maybe Barney can shake out the cobwebs and reember what the canister was that delivered Napalm (technically it was not napalm in Vietnam but another brand, effects were pretty much the same)

So it's got a really good load out option, everything but the toilet huh?

Back