• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

T-A-26 turboprop in SEA camouflage

Hi again fellow modellers
Thanks for watching and commenting as I try building this!
I've managed to get a few layers of paint on the T-A-26 and began weathering a bit.
I should start from the start...I primed with Tamiya XF-19 light grey, then black in places I planned on a metal finishing, then Alclad "airframe aluminum" and then Vallejo chipping medium then finally painting masking painting masking and painting...I painted the model in sections to try to avoid the sandy paint in the wing root areas. The wings are a decent fit so it should build up ok. I had a spot of paint peel on an engine but fixed it with a quick blast of brown.
I used a lot of Tamiya tape on this kit! (my reference above to all the masking) As well, I could find no references as to what Tamiya colours to use for SEA scheme but did find a loose reference to some colours, which I took with (a few) grains of salt. After painting and de-masking I began scrubbed off paint in strategic locations. next stage will be attaching the wings etc, then gloss varnish for decals.
priming and metalizing

ha162bff.JPG

hd3100bb.JPG

masking

h7fb3ce8.JPG

hee5679b.JPG

h1d2775a.JPG

hbf6bd84.JPG

h05b7886.JPG

The T-A-26 is approaching the final stages of work, the model has been gloss coated, decals applied and flat coated as of tonight. Most of the decals came from the Kinetic 1/48 Grumman Tracker kit (which I used Caracal decals on) A few decals were also sourced from Great walls 1/48 P 61 that died a horrible death a few years ago and a few from an Italeri C-130 Hercules, that was built as a stretched super herc. with Canmilair decals...anyway, the only kit decals that were used were the Hamilton Standard prop decals and data placards.

hcf8fd40.JPG

hb7dce84.JPG

h14b8ffc.JPG

some weathering and antenna's and I think I'll be there...maybe?​​​​​​

Very interesting idea for the A-26 . The older models were made from a much harder plastic as I recall.

Cheer, Christian B)

Thanks, yes you’re right about the plastic! It’s really hard stuff, super gue is softer than the plastic and that’s no exaggeration
Pup, yes, it’ll be very sooty on the wings!
Thanks for looking!

Imagine the sound She makes, Growling & whistling along at tree top altitude.
Right before things go "BOOM!" in the dark! After all these years, is She still "Nimrod" on the radio?

VERY COOL!

Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a real fun project with not a care given as to accuracy or authenticity of any kind.
I'm calling it complete at this time and flashing up the PT-6's and going in nap of the earth after the wife's cat...
I've added some antennas here and there and, yes, I have fixed the errant crooked gun barrels (after the picture taking) soot and gun smoke for weathering, a bit of streaking (Skydrol?) on the right engine but not much else.

the "Thinnerline" circle cutter, a rotating blade held in a adjustable (diameter and depth) holder all attached to a sealed bearing, great for cutting circles such as for masking wheels and making sinner backplates (both on this project) with no center hole such as is made with most circle cutters.

hc5dd63b.JPG

h3134e67.JPG

hf44cd46.JPG

h64b8f82.JPG

h49ced9e.JPG

h86cd5c9.JPG

h6355172.JPG

Super! Really dig this.
Those turboprops, you said you cast them yourself. Did you make the master? Would you sale copies?

Thanks I appreciate that!
Pup; I made the master for the engine myself, it started out as a turbo Otter conversion (see James "Stoneboat" Court's build of Swine in "lets be civil" I sold a few sets over the years but not enough to retire on (who knew the turbo Otter wasn't going to be that popular of a kit?! hahaha)I do still have the master and can cast more when needed. I even did a resin turbine engine conversion for the Kinetic 1/48 Grumman Tracker, sold the masters, moulds and all to a hobby shop in Calgary Alberta, that guy was going to clean them up and mass produce them but, died before he could. That's my story of my resin aftermarket sets...

The In Another World Completions thread is open, post some final pix there and we'll hook you up with a ribbon when it is available. https://modelersalliance.org/forum/in-another-world/154392-in-another-world-completions
:drinks

Back