• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STUG III G/M (FUNK LENK) Normandy

panzerace007

Here's a STUG III G/M from Cyberhobby/Dragon (6229). I set it in Normandy as part of the Funk Lenk division. I got th Decals from Bison. These STUG's were built by Alkett made with surplus Pz III M hulls. These STUGs were supplied to the FunkLenk division when they came back to France for Rest & Re-Fit. They were replacing Their Radio Command Tigers with STUG's. It was painted with :

Tamiya Dark Yellow(XF-60)
Tamiya Red Brown (XF-64)
Tamiya Dark Green (XF-61)
Dry brushed with XF-60 & dusted with European Dust. The Schurtzen is from Voyager & the Decals are from Bison ! The Canvas cover was made from a Klondike Bar wrapper, Painted with Tamiya Khaki(XF-49) dry brushed with Buff !

dsc07204_2_20101005_1955676976.jpg

dsc07205_3_20101005_1456584089.jpg

dsc07210_6_20101005_1516367374.jpg

dsc07207_2_20101005_2088175855.jpg

The Spare track brackets on the Glasis plate were scratch built from spare P.E. fret.The trick was CA'ing the P.E. strips vertically ! I then used Mr.Dissolve Putty to simulate Weld beads around the brackets !

dsc07209_7_20101005_1580405359.jpg

dsc07206_4_20101005_1610550949.jpg

The Sun Shades for the Commanders Periscope were made from Plastic tubing.

panzer104_1_20101005_1528548520.jpg

Here is a picture that I modeled the STUG off of. Not the broken Spare track bracket in Front. The Field Modded spare track brackets on the Glasis plate. These were scratched from left over P.E. stock

panzer103_2_20101005_1587521685.jpg

here's a rear view. Note that I also dinged up the Muffler on th Kit to match the picture. ..... 27 Panzer Grenadiers not Included !

ERIK

Well here I was going to say I'm a rivet counter and point out the broken spare track bracket on front...but you meant to do that!

Great eye for detail Erik.

Everybody this is a stug build to remember it could be used as a reference......... I have seen this beauty in person . The dictures do not do it justice .

moon puppy wrote:
Well here I was going to say I'm a rivet counter and point out the broken spare track bracket on front...but you meant to do that!

Great eye for detail Erik.

THANX MOONIE ! Also if you notice I molded the STUG's dented Muffler & look at th Real picture ... Hardly any rust on the Muffler !! Also the Unusual Sag in the Front of the track , STUG's call sign # . Even down to how the Spare Track lay across the rear of the STUG !!

This was the First time I had modeled Spare Track brackets on the Glasis. As I had never seen that on a Panzer before. Apparently it was a common thing on the Eastern Front in some Units !! Like I said ... The Trick was trying to Glue the brackets on th Thin leading Edge of the P.E. & to the Model itself !!!

This STUG III G/M was also part of a STUG III/IV display a couple of Years ago in Harve de Grace M.D. during the AMPS International Show. The Chapter on a Whole Modeled EVERY STUG variant ever produced - save a Munitions schlepper & an Ambulance, Which they actually had , but I forget the Unit !! I wish I had some pix of the Display, but I lost all of Mine when My Hard Drive took a Dump last Year. I'll see if I can scrounge some pix up foe ya !!

ERIK

LUIZ,

YEAH it would be cool to try to get all of those Figures together !! lol

Thanx again for your Kind words. I really Dig that Pz IV your Cranking on ! Th P.E. work is Outstanding !!

ERIK

Play that funky music, white boy! When MP said he wasn't a rivet counter, I expected him to say there were only 26 grenadiers :laugh: Nice work, overall, quite nice!! (y)

Nice work Erik. ;) And the reference pictures help answer that age old question........ How many blokes can you fit on a StuG? :lol:

LAURA,

Thanx for th kind words. Yeah , but if you look at the Muffler in th picture, It doesn't look like there is much rust on th Real One ? In order to get those Figures I might have to take out a small Loan ?? :D ... Unless that's th next Box set coming out from Dragon ?

ERIK

one can't tell the muffler color but like it was stated in my kingtiger build - 3 days of operation and the muffler has the rusty appearance ...

... but whatever - the stug looks kewl and you had fun building and painting it, that is what is of importance!

Lay down and boogy and play that funky music till you die....I don't think it would be rusted as in encrusted and flaking but oxidation and heat surely would have started to turn the color. I think the color is fine.

If you loaded it up with the crew you'd have to find out their names for the papers you would include in their jackets....I think time has run out for that. :mpup

LAURA ,

Thanx , that Info is helpful ! I'll wash & Dist this Muffler of Mayhem ! I'll throw a couple o' pix up to see. Plus I'm not real happy th way this shoot was lit ?

:blush: - I have not read your Article on th KT build. :blush:

MOONIE- Yeah nothing too Drastic, but it would hasten since it's a Wading Panzer. Think about it- :hmmm You just got this New Ride & They told you it had Deep Wading Mufflers ? :woohoo: :evil: YOU know you would take her MUD- Boggin' ! :D

I heard that on th Papers in th Tunics ! :hmmm 'Might steer clear of that !

ERIK

Back