• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

So, what do you do for a living?

25x magnification besides my own prescription. Pretty damn good. Old, but still very good glasses.

:skipper

Man, I'd love to get a set of those things!!!!
Don't take this personal, but I wish you were out of a job. That would mean no little baby needed surgery for anything!
It's bad enough for adults to have to go through surgery, but babies having surgery is not fair!!!
They are so innocent and yet they have to take whatever is wrong with them along with the surgery!
It's just not right!
I'll get off my soapbox now!
BTW, we have those at work :D

Tim

25x magnification besides my own prescription. Pretty damn good. Old, but still very good glasses.

:skipper

Man, I'd love to get a set of those things!!!!
Don't take this personal, but I wish you were out of a job. That would mean no little baby needed surgery for anything!
It's bad enough for adults to have to go through surgery, but babies having surgery is not fair!!!
They are so innocent and yet they have to take whatever is wrong with them along with the surgery!
It's just not right!
I'll get off my soapbox now!
BTW, we have those at work :D

Tim
Tim, my son Ian has hydrocephalus. By the time he was a 1 1/2 years old, he had 16 surgeries. We know all about babies having surgery.

Tim, I completely agree with you. It is not right, and I would gladly stop working if children did not get sick anymore. It would be a pleasure to do only research and spend my days with DNA arrays and comparative genomic hybridization. However, this is not the case, and I do try to make their lives (and that of the parents) the best and easiest possible. This is what drives me at work everyday.

Also, children are exceptionally resilient, they heal much faster than adults and with only a few sad exceptions our outcomes are excellent. It is a pleasure to see a child that was very sick only a few days back playing and running around the ward. Besides, doing surgery always gives you the feeling that you are concretely, hands-on helping that patient the best way you can.

Gator, I completely understand the high number of surgeries due to hydrocephalus. Those shunts get clogged so often. That is why nowadays there is a shift towards endoscopic ventriculostomy, in which the flow is restored within the brain with minimally invasive surgery. When it works, no more shunts are needed.

BTW, those glasses can be bought from specific medical supply firms. They are not cheap, but work amazingly well.

Cheers all,

Alex

Tim, I completely agree with you. It is not right, and I would gladly stop working if children did not get sick anymore. It would be a pleasure to do only research and spend my days with DNA arrays and comparative genomic hybridization. However, this is not the case, and I do try to make their lives (and that of the parents) the best and easiest possible. This is what drives me at work everyday.

Also, children are exceptionally resilient, they heal much faster than adults and with only a few sad exceptions our outcomes are excellent. It is a pleasure to see a child that was very sick only a few days back playing and running around the ward. Besides, doing surgery always gives you the feeling that you are concretely, hands-on helping that patient the best way you can.

Gator, I completely understand the high number of surgeries due to hydrocephalus. Those shunts get clogged so often. That is why nowadays there is a shift towards endoscopic ventriculostomy, in which the flow is restored within the brain with minimally invasive surgery. When it works, no more shunts are needed.

BTW, those glasses can be bought from specific medical supply firms. They are not cheap, but work amazingly well.

Cheers all,

Alex

:drinks :drinks

Alex, I commend you on your calling. While it isn't fair that babies need surgery, I am thrilled to know someone like you is out there to help those most vulnerable. Well done.

Alex, I commend you on your calling. While it isn't fair that babies need surgery, I am thrilled to know someone like you is out there to help those most vulnerable. Well done.

Me also, Alex had it not been for the Doctors I spent my first 6 years of life with I wouldn't be Here today, so thanks for the Job you do, I learned to ride a tri-cycle in the Hospital ... :notworthy (y) :salute

I wasn't trying to knock you, I'm sure you've performed all sorts of surgeries that have allowed children to live a normal or close to normal life. Without you and other surgeons, we would have no chance at survival.
So thank you for what you do and for the joy you bring to the faces of the families!!!

Tim

Well starting the 12th of this month I will be working for a new company. Going from one Property Management company to another to be a Maintenance Supervisor. Actually I will be working at the complex that Sarah and I currently live at. It comes with a pay raise plus full benefits and lots of other perks that my current employer couldn't offer. I hated to leave my current job but hard to pass up having no commute time and basically working from home. Also will make it easier to come home and check on Sarah during the pregnancy.

Well starting the 12th of this month I will be working for a new company. Going from one Property Management company to another to be a Maintenance Supervisor. Actually I will be working at the complex that Sarah and I currently live at. It comes with a pay raise plus full benefits and lots of other perks that my current employer couldn't offer. I hated to leave my current job but hard to pass up having no commute time and basically working from home. Also will make it easier to come home and check on Sarah during the pregnancy.

Congrats on the new gig Ryan! And the new addition!

That's great Ryan but there's one draw back, you're always at work now. :huh:

Wait till the neighbors find out the Super is in unit A6 :rotf

Great news Ryan. Git'er done. :coolio :good:

That's great Ryan but there's one draw back, you're always at work now. :huh:

Wait till the neighbors find out the Super is in unit A6 :rotf

Great news Ryan. Git'er done. :coolio :good:

Yeah that's one drawback. But the apartment manager that I will be working with says just to tell them to fill out a work order and file it with her. But the perks make it worth it. Less work for more money Lol. Most major stuff is contracted out here. No more crawlspaces and broken sewer mains for me.

Awesome news Ryan. More bench time until the young one comes and then 0 bench time. Just remember that although this is aalmost a work from home job it doesnt mean you can wear pjs to work :rotf
James

Back