• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shep Paine Campaign

Works for me Terry-- I have some ideas...but this will give me time to work and plan everything out.

Let's go by Shep's definition...paraphrased from his book:

In recent years, the term diorama has come to mean any scene executed in three dimensions. At its most basic, it is nothing more than a model or group of models placed in a realistic setting- which invariably involves a landscaped base of some sort and probably a few figures to add scale and interest.

In its most developed form, a diorama is a scene that tells a story. It is not just a model of an object or group of objects, but of an event. This may be active and obvious like an infantry attack...or passive and subtle such as weary infantrymen resting after a battle or a forlorn and derelict aircraft abandoned in the desert.

The size of a diorama is not important; in fact, some of the most effective dioramas are quite small. Small dioramas, often called vignettes, gain visual strength from their compactness; because the story is compressed into a small area with a minimum of distractions, the viewer can absorb it immediately.

That being said then Dave- it seems that your idea of a vignette would fit in just fine...having just a vehicle with nothing else would not fit- but having it tell a story with either figures or elements of the environment around it would fit in with Shep's vision of it....

I am most certainly up for this group build. I dont think we should call it a campaign but somewhere in between that and a CTA.

How about making it a sticky like Boatbuilders? That will mean that no one has to rush to finish but its also more in the view.

Why don't we created a Shep Paine Memorial forum like we have for our other friends.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/memorial-build-gallery

Donate directly to his foundation and build a dio there.

I am in with a diorama.

Any tribute is a tribute, I guess Shep would have appreciated the quality and skill regardless of whether it's a model, vignette or a dio. Obviously the dioramas are the closest to what we all know about him.

Having said that, I chose a dio, because I love building them.

I will talk to ModelArt Australia, see if they would be interested in publishing an article to celebrate his amazing achievements and influence.

I will let you gentlemen decide campaign or not, duration etc.

RIP Shep,

Laurence

This does seem more like a memorial he deserves than just to do a simple GB- I am for this. That way any time we feel inspired no matter when, we can enter something here. Even though he wasn't an actual MA member like the others, the fact is that he has had some influence on all of us in some way.

I don't see ribbons for John, Tom, or Dave? Did they ever get made? I would really like to see something for Shep as well.

Like Shep had said in his book on dioramas, as long as it tells a story- it fits. I would say either a vignette or diorama. There are too many different viewpoints out there to classify-- so go with what the man himself said. Even that derelict P-61 of his sitting alone in the desert speaks volumes...

Sorry Dave...didn't mean to put work on your plate :(. I wish I was talented at that stuff-- I'm looking to learn from my wife who does web design work but she's always out doing horse stuff with the daughter...

Even though I have never successfully completed a Diorama; mostly because it seems to be beyond my ability; I could accept the challenge to attempt one once again. It would be the right thing to do.

Agreed Mark! For the handful I've done, it's usually been a photo that's inspired me and helped me plan out how I wanted to approach it.

Once Bob and the admins get the section to Shep set up, I'd like to start a research/inspiration photo thread set up with photos that would make an interesting dio....

Back