• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions- FInished!

Re:update, my first hard edge

Tx for your comments lady and gentlemen.

Yep Randy, the diorama is in the making. You can see some of the pics of it here: http://www.tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=53&func=view&catid=12&id=1299[]
in which thread I was actually supposed to post this update :blush:

Dave, the colors, exclusively Tamiya: Each layer was mixed with a drop of x22 Clear and thinned with Tamiya's laquer thinner (with yellow cap).

I first sprayed Red Brown XF64 all over
Next was a layer of Dark Yellow XF60 mixed with Buff XF 57.
I lighted this leayer 4 times, first with more Buff, than with Deck Tan XF55 and finally with Gloss white X2.
Obviously the top received more light paint than the bottom parts

Green wss made of Dark Green XF61 & Field Gey XF65. The subsequent 4 lighter shades were obtained by adding first Flat Flesh XF15 in subsequest higher quantities to this mixture and the final time received some X2 again.

The brown started simply with Red Brown XF64, lighted 4x times by adding XF15 to the the XF64, wrapping it up with a drop of X2 in the final layer.

Lot of work, and perhaps I could have done it in a easier way, but this was a first attempt to take it that far.

Robert

Re:251/17 D update, my first hard edge

Robert , that's a beauty paint/camo scheme .

Don't know if I've asked you this already but , ..............

I always see this kit and I'm always pondering buying it , [ cause it just looks sooooo cool ] ........ obviously after seeing your build it's now in the " buy it dummy " category .

Any pros and/or cons observations on your part about this kit ?

Cheyenne wrote:
Any pros and/or cons observations on your part about this kit ?

Well, the pro is that it is a cool looking 251. It has good details. The kit comes with a good choice of decals and the includes some nice PE parts. For the gun shield you can even choose between a moulded styrene one for the faint hearted, a PE one which needs some folding and a pre-shaped metal one (which I chose).

On the con-side of things: the fit is a bit, say, problematic at times, but I guess that it isn't limited to this Dragon 251 version only. The upper hull doesn't really fit well to the lower hull, to start with. I might have had a warped lower hull, though,although I couldn't really detect that . Fit issues between the two hull parts were at the front, back and at the area behind the cabin.
But with a little TLC it will work out fine. Try it at home :woohoo:

Robert

Nice work Robert, the camo application is excellent, and there's just right amount of tonal similarity betweenthe different colours (something hard to achieve IMO)

Great stuff :)

Thanks for your comment Chris, much appreciated.

@forum moderators: can you put this thread into my original thread on this vehicle "Final Decisions".
Just to keep it a bit more tidy in this place ;) No worries , done ! Jenny ;)

Robert

Re:SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions hard edge camo_100128

After 35468834 hours of scratching, part of the weathering is done. Next some rain streaks, oil stains, mud, dust and that sort of stuff.
Still a long way to go.

rightfront-1.jpg

leftfront-1.jpg

leftback-1.jpg

rightside-1.jpg

I decided to repaint the gunshield. The first version didn't match with the rest of the vehicle. I think that this is better. What do you think?
guntop-1.jpg

gunshieldfront.jpg

gunshieldleft.jpg

gunshieldright.jpg

A bit of a sorry pic of the exhaust that will get more rusted in the process.
exhaustclose.jpg

I also ditched the red painted roadwheels. To colourful. Most are yellowish now and only two grey ones provide the necessary variation,
leftsideclose.jpg

rightsideclose.jpg

P.S. the yellow tape will be removed before flight B)

Time to cover some yard with the groundwork (fed up with scratches right now)
Some shots of the current status
overview.jpg

rightview.jpg

bareground.jpg

righttree.jpg

lefttree.jpg

backleft-1.jpg

backright-2.jpg

Obviously this is just the basic layout. More vegetation will be added.

See ya later

Robert

Robert Crombeecke wrote:
After 35468834 hours of scratching....

What.... only..... 35468834 hours.... Obviously not serious about your hobby.... :silly:

Awesome job! :ro:

this is so wonderful robert! jawdropping good!

another masterpiece in the make!

Robert,
Great job... It was well worth it (all the time you put in).
I love the base this beast will look great on it.
Shawn

Re:SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions hard edge camo_100

Very kewl stuff Robert. Every component ties in well with the others, and the quality and workmanship - super!

Your camoflague is awesome, the overall finish is spectacular, and I love what you have come up with so far with the base. Great job, man!
Steven

Re:SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions hard edge camo_100

Excellent work!

THe vehicle is fantastic! And so is the terrain!

Regards
Noel

Superb work Robert. I really like the way the vehicle seem well used without being overdone. In a word: it look real B)

Wow! You actually build those cap on the jerry cans :eek:hmy: :blink I can't even see the parts on the PE fret :blush: :S

Very nice dio overall and those figures should truly enhance the look of the scene.

Hi people,

thanks for your nice comments. They're well appreciated.
I'll keep you updated on the progress.

WOW!! Robert looks great all the way.

Terry B)

Back