• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Saw a gorgeous steam locomotive this weekend

Adam Baker

Ok, so for the last year, the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC has been restoring a J Class 4-8-4 steam locomotive for the Viginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, Va. The train is Norfolk & Western #611, nicknamed "The Spirit of Roanoke"

For the last several weeks they've been sharing videos of the locomotive on the NCTM Facebook page, all leading up to yesterdays departure of 611 as it heads home to Roanoke.

Knowing that it was leaving, and having missed all of the previous festivities that have gone on since the first of May, my wife & I drove out to the museum yesterday morning to see it leave, and I'm very happy I got a chance to see this beauty in person.

First a few pictures I took of 611.

20150530_073229.jpg

20150530_073257.jpg

20150530_073607.jpg

20150530_073613.jpg

These driver wheels are huge! Almost 5' in diameter.

20150530_073640.jpg

And then a video I took of her rolling & leaving. Sorry for the shaking, I was holding my phone over my head to get as good a shot as I could.

https://youtu.be/hIG75yt2F44

The museum is located about 45 minutes from my apartment, and I'm seriously considering applying to volunteer at the museum. They have a large rail section, and they have volunteers doing maintenance, restoration, and operation, of the rail equipment. They also have several classic cars, and volunteers do maintenance & upkeep on them, as well as drive them in parades & such. And something I thought that was very cool, they are restoring a Piedmont Airlines DC-3, with a lot of volunteers there. So there are tons of very cool volunteer opportunities there so I'm going to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into, haha.

A real beauty Adam ...... Thanks for sharing ...... I can't wait until Tuesday went I get to hobby depot to watch the video ...... :good: :eek:ldguy

Most excellent Adam, thanks for taking the time to go and check it out. Not often we get to see those big monsters rolling down the tracks. They did a great job restoring her, just imagine what it was like back in the day when that's all we had.

Very sleek ain't it?

:train

I am sorta expecting Wile-E Cayote to show up in them pictures Its a beautifull train though

It's the first time I've ever seen an active steam locomotive (outside of an amusement park) and it was very cool to see. They definitely did a very good job on the restoration, it looks amazing.

Here's a picture that was posted on the Trains Magazine Facebook page this weekend, taken at the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

On the left is Norfolk & Western #2156, a Y Class 2-8-8-2 Chesapeake, the center is #611, and then on the right is Norfolk & Westeran #1218, an A Class 2-8-8-4. #1218 is the sole remaining 2-8-8-4 locomotive in the world.

Va%20Museum%20Trains.jpg

I'm really looking forward to finding out what kind of volunteer opportunities there are at the NCTM. I've loved trains for a very long time, so having the opportunity to work on them is very cool.

Most excellent Adam, thanks for taking the time to go and check it out. Not often we get to see those big monsters rolling down the tracks. They did a great job restoring her, just imagine what it was like back in the day when that's all we had.

Very sleek ain't it?

:train

Very cool Adam . Beautiful piece of machinery . Hate that I did not get a chance to see it.

I grew up close to railroad yards and my ante worked for the railroad when I was little so, yes I miss those fire breathing monsters.

I did not realise that it would be history when we moved to Ohio . Everything was Diesel then .

Can't say I want to work on them though as everything is ( always ) filthy and everything is so large and heavy :idonno

Interesting machine though :rotf Thanks for taking the time and sharing .

Cheers, Christian B)

That's great Adam! Thanks for sharing this with us!! (y) (y) :drinks Iffin' I wuzz you... I'd be looking into volunteering there!! I did some volunteer work at March Field Air Museum in So.Cal in June 2004 and spent the day working on their B-17G & helped out on a few others they were restoring. It is an experience one should try at least once in their life... :drinks

You would be in for quite a treat Adam as the J class where the Norfolk and Western crack passenger trains back in the day ....
:train ...... :eek:ldguy

Back