• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RF-4C - 7th July. Undersides done !!

RF-4C - 29 March, progress pics.

Beautiful work Ian, great looking interior! :ro:

First releases of the RF-4 Hasegawa had fit problems with the intake (You have to use The Force :)), maby fuselage joints have this problem as well. :idonno

All the best!
Dusan.

RF-4C - 29 March, progress pics.

All I can say is wow. Inan thjis is going to be a good looking gal. (y)

RF-4C - 25 JUne, (BIG) progress pics.

Well it's been a while, but here's where I'm up-to right now:

Had a little time to m'self this morning, and the weather wasn't quite as biting cold as it has been so broke-out the dark Vietnam green and set to. All went very smoothly, not a sput, or atom of dust anywhere near it.

Just sprayed the topside for now, the lower camo pattern on wraparound F-4's always leaves me scratching my head. David Aungst seems to have 'nailed it' on an F-4G he did some time ago over on Hyperscale:

If I can get close to this I'll be happy. In the meantime here's an idea of what the finished project might look like:

Mississippi ANG circa 1983, full emerald green fin flash and camo pattern like these F-4C's:

Next... mask-away the dark green on the topsides and spray the medium green. Hopefully late this week, AFAIK, I've got Friday booked-off, so I'm crossing everything that can be legally crossed !!

AFN

Ian

I LOVE SEA :popcorn

I don't think I've ever seen a wrap around camo though, new one on me.

Can't say I have ever seen a SEA wrap around paint job in real life but we certainly had them in the Euro color schemes .

Makes the plane look a lot more business like.

Cheers, Christian B)

RF-4C - 25 June, (BIG) progress pics.

Hey Christian, nice to know you're still following this build.

When I first started going to airshows in the mid-80s the USAFE F-4's were just starting to change over from SEA wraparound to Euro 1. I remember Alconbury in 1985, the 'local' RF-4's were in fresh Euro 1 and the visiting Zweibrucken and Ramstein machines in the older SEA wraparound. I was looking at the photos just a few weeks back. Airshows were so much more colourful in the 'cold war' days, eh ??

Ian

Of course I'm still around. I love phantoms and you're right those airshows were more colorful.

I've been here freting over my Spit but I think I have it on the run again.

I left the Stein in 80 and we had already started changing to the Euro wrap around. Don't remember the Sea rap around on E models at all.
Came back to Hahn in 83 but we were getting the F-16's then .

By then Zwei had already changed over to the shark mouths in black . Not very pretty.

Not sure what color Alconbury flew. They did not seem to visit us. Use to see lots of German F'4s and they were colorful . Of course the Brit F-4s looked nice as well. Usually more clean.

Cheers, Christian

Of course I'm still around. I love phantoms and you're right those airshows were more colorful. I left the Stein in 80 and we had already started changing to the Euro wrap around. Don't remember the Sea rap around on E models at all.

Cheers, Christian

Shame you missed the party, friend !! - Thought you'd appreciate these from 85 & 86 !! (With & without 'Show teeth !!).

Hey !!, does this mean I'm hi-jacking my own thread ?? :facepalm

Ian

Cool stuff (y) (y) (y) (y) Never made it to Ramstein. I was in the south in Baden late 80's.
Love the work you're doing.
James

Well I just got educated. I remember some scheme where they actually painted the outline of the cockpit on the underside, including two white circles for the dudes' helmets. Guess they thought it would throw off someone so they didn't know if they were coming or going..up or down :rotf

I remember some scheme where they actually painted the outline of the cockpit on the underside, including two white circles for the dudes' helmets.

Yep - Ferris schemes 1 & 2 - Was tested on F-5E's, F-14's, F-15's and F-4S's !!

I really miss the old Don Color site, superb reference.

Ian

Someone on another site had mentioned the teeth before but I never got to see them or that wrap around scheme either . That's not even the same teeth they had on the squadron logo.

I seem to remember those tail numbers though. I must of had some entanglements with 406 for sure.

I saw some Canadian F-18's with the cockpit painted on the lower fuselage though. Minus the helmets.

Cheers, Christian B)

And that’s the top-side camouflage all done. The only thing left to do is spray the leading edge of the fin yellow to match the trim on the flash.

Next a quick coat of Johnsons Kleer/Future and then start on the conundrum, wrapped in a riddle that is the underside pattern !! Ughhh. :idonno

Ian

RF-4C - 29th June. Topsides coloured-in

Ian I would just reverse the top side pattern to an extent. Just carry over what comes around the edges.

A really nice job on the cockpit! Impressive! (y) (y)

I love Phantoms and Phantom IIs and you did a great job on the camo!

Bob

Looking good Ian. (y)

Someday , I need to learn what those bumps are on the upper wings are supposed to be since I've never seen any :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Hopefully will be able to finish the undersides TODAY. All has gone really well, will post-up the photos when the last of the masking & Blu-Tack is peeled off.

Thanks for the really positive comments all. Appreciate them all.

Ian

Back