• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PZL P.11G "Kobuz" >>>DONE<<<

dewertus

Based on the Mirage 1/48 PZL P.24F I try to build a model of one the least known aircraft that not only actively participated in the fighting, but gained a victory over the Luftwaffe. Only one plane (prototype) of the last version of the famous P.11 took part in the fighting in 1939, and I hope that I can build a model ...

db_PZL_P-11G_Kobuz__-043.jpg

DSCF5617.jpg

DSCF5618.jpg

PZL P.11G "Kobuz"

Since last I had a lot of other activities I did not have the opportunity to "tinker" in the model, so, progress is rather unassuming ...

I only cut out in fuselage places for guns to made it similar to the P.11 (P.11g was a mix of P.11c and P.24). I also modify the engine and made the propeller from the remnants of the other models.

DSCF6017.JPG

PZL P.11G "Kobuz"

It seems that the work "inside" is behind me and I was able to finish modifications of external elements that distinguish P.11G from P.11c and P.24 (propeller, exhaust and engine cover).

DSCF6065.JPG

DSCF6068.JPG

DSCF6074.JPG

PZL P.11G "Kobuz"

"Kobuz" is ready for painting (just in case i secured model using Surfacer 500)

DSCF6155.jpg

DSCF6156.jpg

DSCF6157.jpg

PZL P.11G "Kobuz"

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the be­gin­ning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the be­gin­ning."
Sir Win­ston Chur­chill

DSCF6374.JPG

DSCF6376.JPG

DSCF6377.JPG

DSCF6378.JPG

DSCF6379.JPG

DSCF6380.JPG

DSCF6386.JPG

DSCF6387.JPG

PZL P.11G "Kobuz"

On end a short history background:

During the summer of 1937 the construction team of PZL Okecie made the calculations of performance for PZL P.11 with the Mercury VIII engine (850HP). Calculations showed that they are not much better than the performance of mass-produced P.11c. Therefore, the project was abandoned. When the spring of 1939 production of PZL 50 "Hawk" was halted due to its low performance the Military Aviation department began to search for a way to quickly launching production of another fighter that could temporarily satisfy essential needs. The idea of bringing PZL P.24 with Gnome-Rhone engines was rejected due to the long waiting time for delivery and high unreliability of the French engines. Since PZL Okecie accessible were about 50 of Mercury VIII (originally intended for PZL P.50) decision of their building on the fuselage P.11c. During the summer 1939 has made prototype of a new version: PZL P.11G. To build the "Kobuz" prototype were used the fuselage of P.11c. where a numbers of part were changed on similar to the PZL P.24 (like: wings, engine cover, propeller and cockpit). First flight took place in August 1939. The production of 90 copies P.11G factories was commissioned to PWS factory which were already manufactured wings and tail section to PZL P.24.

In the first days of September 1939, the PZL Okęcie factory pilots evacuated prototype to Lviv and then to Gródek Jagiellonski. Then inż.pil. Jerzy Widawski moved plane to Wielick airfield near Kovel. Here, the plane was taken over by the Air Force. During this time, in Wielick stationed two squadrons of PZL 37 "Los" form Bomber Brigade. The mechanics have reviewed and armed Kobuz. Then, the aircraft was handed over to the improvised fighter squadron composed of pilots and instructors WSP (School of Piloting) flying on several PZL P.7. The squadron commander Lt. Henry Szczesny piloting KOBUZ on September 14 shot down near Kovel one He-111. The next day, the same duo (Szczesny on P.11G) repeated his success and shot down about 17:30 one from the five captured He-111. Unfortunately, a gunners fire seriously damaged the Polish fighter, despite injuries Szczesny returned safely to the airport. The further fate is not known - according to same sources the damaged plane was finally destroyed a few days later at the airport in Wielick, a part say that has been evaluated to Romania.

Capt. Henryk Szczęsny was born 27 March 1910. From 1931 in aviation. He graduated in 1933 the Aviation Cadet School in Deblin (famious "Eagle School"). After graduation he held the allocation to 5 Aviation Regiment, in 1937 he was transferred to 3 Aviation Regiment. In begginig of 1939 went as an instructor for the WSP in Deblin. During the September Campaign he shot down two german planes, one shot down probalny and one demaged. At the end of September 1939 evacuated to Romania. After treating wounds on Greek ship arrived to Malta. In February 1940 he joined the RAF Eastchurch, next in May moved to Manston as a commander of Polish cadets platoon. Training he took at 5 OTU at Aston Down in July 1940. August 6 was transferred to 74 RAF squadron stationed at Hornchurch. During the Battle of Britan as a pilot of 74 RAF Sqn he shot down 4 and 1/3 german planes. Till end of 1940 he get posting to 302 Polish Sqn where he served in squardon Ops Room. In middle of 1941 he get posting as a Sqn commanedr to the 317 Polish Sqn. In March 1942 he was moved to the 10 RAF Figher Group as a Polish Liaison Officer. In May transfered to the 12 Group. In December 1942 he become a Squadron Leader Flying in 1'st Polish Fighter Wing. April 4, 1943 during a flight on the cover of American B-17 over Paris he shot down one Focke Wulf FW190. Unfortunately, collided with the second FW-190 he had to jump with a parachute. He was captured and imprisoned in Stalag Luft III. After the liberation he returned to England and was employed in command of 12 Group.

In total he shot down 9 and 1/3 of german airplanes, one probably and damage two.

He was awarded the Cross of Valour (three times), Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari and the British DFC.

large.jpg

Squadron Leader Henryk Szczęsny, the CO of No. 317 "Wilno" Polish Figher Squadron, saluting the Polish President-in-Exile, Władysław Raczkiewicz.
Source: iwm.org.uk

Model

DSCF6408.JPG

DSCF6406.JPG

DSCF6417.JPG

DSCF6410.JPG

DSCF6407.JPG

DSCF6413.JPG

DSCF6421.JPG

DSCF6420.JPG

DSCF6411.JPG

DSCF6412.JPG

Man that looks great. Nice looking a/c too. I have one question, not knowing thiese a/c, but should the ring and bead sight be the a/c colour or something else? I wonder what ground visabilty was like. Looks like it would be nasty to taxi about.
James

a wonderful project. I still have the one that you sent me last year. I will have to start it some time soon.
I take it that this one didn't have the oil coolers on the side of the fuselage. Sweet build.

Tremendous job! I always thought that plane had some interesting sight-line issues. Still, it was one of the more successful aircraft in the early war years so it definitely was worth producing. I really love the job you did on this model. Well done.

Back