• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Piaggio P.108

Back at this one. I gave it a shot of Vallejo primer when I was last working on it to see where I was at with the putty/sanding. Needed more work but when I tried to sand it down the primer didn't sand well so I had to strip it down and take a break. More sanding ahead. :frantic

Looks good Dave :popcorn , nice to see you back on this thing (y) I believe that Vallejo can be sanded, but it needs a day or two to cure first, same goes for Badgers Stynylrez, however neither will be anywhere as good for filiing and sanding as a lacquer primer unfortunately.

Looks good Dave :popcorn , nice to see you back on this thing (y) I believe that Vallejo can be sanded, but it needs a day or two to cure first, same goes for Badgers Stynylrez, however neither will be anywhere as good for filiing and sanding as a lacquer primer unfortunately.

Yeah there was a little bit of primer left on the model and after sitting 7 months it was sorta sandable but still rolled up if I got too aggressive with it. Tamiya rattle can is my usual go to primer but thought I would give the Vallejo a try because I just wanted to spray the puttied areas to check my work. That's a lot easier to do with my airbrush than the rattle can.

I like to brush on some Mr.Surfacer on my seems and things to check for flaws and find it works a treat for filling in nicks dings and even very deep narrow trenches. Dries fast and sands easily, I've got a bottle of 1000 I use strictly for brush work and a jar of 1200 that I'm using as a primer for spraying.

:drinks

Yeah there was a little bit of primer left on the model and after sitting 7 months it was sorta sandable but still rolled up if I got too aggressive with it. Tamiya rattle can is my usual go to primer but thought I would give the Vallejo a try because I just wanted to spray the puttied areas to check my work. That's a lot easier to do with my airbrush than the rattle can.

Looking in the Vallejo catalogue does it say that their primer is sandable and although I like it for some things I have never found it to be of use for that.

Use Tamiya primers , MR surfacer, milliput ( for filing deep seams ) or even good old fashion Humbrol if you have the patience for that.

Vallejo primers just roll up when sanded . If you can make it work for that purpose, please make me aware of how you get it to work.

Cheers, Christian B)

:popcorn :popcorn

Any update pics???

:D

Here ya go Warren. I'm done with the puttying at this point and have a coat of primer on.

h9afed1c.jpg

h1ea3571.jpg

Next I'm on to the engines. As I mentioned before the engines included with the kit are horrible so I dug around in my spares and my stash and finally came up with a similar sized 9 cylinder engine from the revell Fw 200. The bell on the Fw 200 engine is totally different but the cylinders are way nicer.

hdf494a0.jpg

hbabe5f0.jpg

My question to you guys, especially those that do casting, is it worth trying to make resin copies of the Fw 200 engine or should I just go with the kit engines.

Really depends on how much can be seen once the cowls and props are in place, you might find if you spray the backing in gloss black, add some pushrods and paint up the cylinders that the kit parts are at least adequate.

It's looking good!

Those kit engines could probably be dressed up so that they pass muster. A more costly route would be some Vector engines.

Slip a cowl over them and see what they are going to look like. Looks like you got a great start for the painting. :popcorn

B)
Looking at a picture of a finished model, it looks like there would be a lot to be seen .

It looks like that would be fairly easy to cast but it would be cheaper to find some B-17 engines from Quickboost . Not sure of the diameters but they made more than one set as so many manufacturers made B-17's .

Good luck , I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers, Christian B)

So after looking at some builds online I think Tim has it right. Paint up the engines and add some push rods to cover them up.

Only problem is there are 72 of them... :frantic

I have some nice thin styrene rod though so it should go quick.

Back