• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting figures in acrylics?

I'm about to start experimenting with figures (1/35 scale) and some reading I've been doing they all mention the use of oil paints. Well I don't have a clue as to how to use these paints.

The question is, is it possible to paint figures using ONLY acrylic paints (like Vallejo, Andrea, Tamiya)?

Any recommedations on good books on the subject?

Yes you can paint with just acrylics. Currently I find it difficult but to really learn I suggest doing the sbs with Giovanni http://www.tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=53&func=view&catid=61&id=31654

A good book is Periscopio Press Advanced Figure Painting http://www.hfmodeling.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3514

and Andrea has a gret little pdf.
http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/descargas/PINTANDO%20ENG.pdf

and

http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/descargas/NO%20SWIMMING%20ENG.pdf

Plus there are some very talented people to ask..Rudi, Andy, Joe, Giovanni, and some more (sorry I didnt get everyone).

James

James

Personally, I would avoid using Tamiya acrylics for more than base coating your figures because they can be difficult to brush cleanly, but Vallejo's acrylics work exceptionally well for this purpose.

As James said already you can definetely paint figures only with acrylics.

I would use vallejo or andrea colors, they are made just for this purpose.

Next week I'll publish a SBS on acrylics paint, but you can look at Joe Hudson SbS here as well.

Hope this will help.

Ciao

Giovanni

I just recently started to paint in acrylics only and am pleased with the results. I used to use enamels and oils, but it seemed to take forever to complete figures due to the drying time. The last two figures I have painted have been entirely in acrylics and I was able to complete the painting portion in a much shorter amount of time.

The reference book I used to get started was the one by Brett Avants. The title escapes me at the moment and I don't have the book readily accessible to get the title. It was published by VLS if I remember correctly.

Once you get the hang of using acrylics, you'll be hooked. The only acrylics that I have used are the ones by Vallejo and I am happy with them.

Acrylics are my preferred weapon of choice and as alreay stated Vallejos and Andrea`s paints are the way to go, there is also Reaper but Ive not had the chance to have a go with them yet so I cant comment but Ive heard they are very good

Giovanni Ill be looking out for that SBS :)

For 1/35 scale figures, I prefer acrylic because fast drying time. Oil paint is take more longer and wasted time to brush it.

In case of oil plain application, I use for my dio pain for final touch up after all paints work have been done. Then at last, I use enamel for dry brush.

P.S. I'm also prefer to use oil pain for bigger 1/16 scale figures.

Yes, I agree, acrylic's work just fine for figures. I decided to try Vallejo on the figures for my "Charlie Don't Surf" build and I'm very pleased with the product.
I took a stab at using artists' oils once and found it a bit too challenging and, yes,the drying time drove me absolutely crazy.
However, I use oils for flesh tones because I don't like any of the acrylic combinations. I paint the flesh tones last, that way I don't accidentally wipe away any of the oil while I'm painting the rest of the figure. Once the flesh tones are finished, I just set them aside and let them dry.

Peace and Love,

Randy

A few days to say the least and all depends on atmospheric conditions too Humid conditions will take longer and dryer quicker

Thats why acrylics are for me cos it takes minutes to dry

Randy old chap, what flesh combinations or sets didnt you think were all that good?

I bought a 14 buck crock pot, lined the bottom with cardboard and use it on low to speed up drying time. Between that and wicking the oil off by placing the dob of paint on a que card then transferring it to my palette means about 4 hours drying. Has worked for metal and resin so far. Oh and I leave the lid half cocked. Will have to try with plastic to see it I melt it.
James

Over the past year or so I've begun playing around with Vallejo paints, in an effort to get better at figure painting. So far, I really like them, but I'm still learning. Here's a link to an article from the Vallejo website that I found helpful:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/blog/?cat=10
In particular, the top portion of the link entitled "Painting Figures with Model Color" was very useful to me.

David

Hey, Andy

I've never liked any combination of any acrylics for flesh tones. What works best for you?

Peace and Love,

Randy

I have been using acrylics exclusively now for 5 years. Takes some getting used to,but I like them. BTW I am by no means a master figure painter.

As an old dog that does not change often, I still use oil paints BUT am going to try acrylics. My reason for preferring oils is the translucency of the paint. After base-coating in acrylic and ensuring it is VERY dry, I layered the oils and feathered the edges. I see some Master figure painters use acrylic so this old dog will try a new bone.
:P

Miguel Jimenez has a new set of DVDs on acrylics for armor to get the same spectacular results and one of the companion titles is (or will be) on figures.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
As an old dog that does not change often, I still use oil paints BUT am going to try acrylics. My reason for preferring oils is the translucency of the paint. After base-coating in acrylic and ensuring it is VERY dry, I layered the oils and feathered the edges. I see some Master figure painters use acrylic so this old dog will try a new bone.
:P

Miguel Jimenez has a new set of DVDs on acrylics for armor to get the same spectacular results and one of the companion titles is (or will be) on figures.

Regards,

If you're talking about the Vallejo DVD, yes it's great.

I reviewed it here:
http://mymodelworkbench.blogspot.com/2010/08/dvd-afv-acrylic-techniques-by-mig.html

Howard

Randy, I exclusively use the Vallejo face skin set 71024 only I swopped a few colours and added in some new ones like Burnt Cad Red 70814 for the very dark skin shadows for example
Theres 8 colours in the box so it runs like this
70814 Burnt cad red ,343 shadows flesh,341 flesh base,70927 dark flesh, 70845 sunny skin tone,70955 flat flesh, 70815 basic skin tone, 70928 light flesh.

Everything works off the base colour adding darker colours for the shadows and lighter for the highlights
The last colour light flesh is only used very very sparingly as a final light.

Please dont forget Ive only been painting figures properly for just over a year now so Im no expert at this, I just seem to have picked it up rapidly !
I am very humbled and delighted to be included in James` good painters referral in amongst such big names as Joe and Giovanni :)

I hope that helps my friend

Ok all try Modelmakerz actylics ...... they will make you want to throw rocks at the rest .... besides there is a special going on now what ever you order for paint ModelmakerZ is doubeling it for free.

How about you slinging me, or indeed us all, a few free samples and I can go from there to make my/our minds up :)

Anyway, I was under the impression that these are competitors to the famous brand "T" and are therefor primarily for Vehicles and not figures as I dont see any colours in your range that would suggest otherwise

You want my address ? :laugh:

Back