• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-47D - Finished

Heavens Eagle

Here is my choice for this year's MMM. Out of my stash a Tamiya P-47D. Straight out of the box. (yeah right, but I will try) No aftermarket stuff for this one. Here are the start photos as a place holder.

MMM2021 P-47 -01.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -02.jpg

As I have been doing a fair amount of work with Alclad lately, I thought it would be a nice little challenge to do a natural metal finish on a build.

Last edited:
Yeah Dave, good to see you!! :good:

After the horrible Dragon kit I did last year I was going through my stash a while back and doing some needed weeding out and ran across this. I decided then it would be a better choice than many other kits in my stash. It will also give me something to expriment with a NMF. :silly:

Moving right along with this build. It is much nicer to build a decent kit rather than one that will need modifications to get it looking right. Just small tweaks here and there and using some odd tricks to assemble the fuselage and wings with no fillers. As this is going to be a NMF finish I am working to get it as smooth as possible. Only things really left are the horizontal stabs. I learned a long time ago, a little time on setup saves lots of trouble with cleanup. As the stabilizers are a little fiddly, the jig is the best way to go. Set it up, measure it all up, get it all aligned, add glue and let it set up.

Here is what has been going on.

MMM2021 P-47 -03.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -04.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -05.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -06.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -08.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -09.jpg

Thanks for looking in an remember to punch the like if you like what I have posted.

That is amazing Paul!
I also love Tamiya kits, specially the A6M Zeros and the Spits. The Sturmovik is also a gem.
Your assembly is immaculate. Congratulations.

Cheers

Alex

John, I started building jig parts back when I started building my old Eduard Hannover kit. The thought then was to clamp warped parts and give them a hot water bath to straighten them. That does not work let me tell you. But I needed some setups that would hold things while drilling and assembling and for that it has evolved and worked beautifully.

Thanks for looking in Alex! This is going to be an experimental metal finish build. I have been using Alclad paints on various things the last year or so and this is going to be an experiment for me. I know the plastic has to be pretty much perfect to start so that is the aim for now. Paint is probably going to start this weekend.

Thanks for looking in Bob! The tail feathers were a little wobbly in how they fit so for me this is the best way. Yeah it is a little overkill, but keeps it super clean for the NMF.

I finally was happy with most of the base build and it is time to put paint on it. First time to just do a NMF finish, and I am fairly happy with it so far.

Here are the photos.

MMM2021 P-47 -10.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -11.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -12.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -13.jpg

MMM2021 P-47 -14.jpg

I wanted to get some mottling on the surface and am fairly pleased with the results. The photos and lighting don't really show the super shiny and then duller or slightly off color areas. In photo 14 it looks like some dark areas, but these are really shiny chrome areas and the room is dark it really makes it harder to tell, but I am very pleased with this first finish.

Remember if you like this at least click the like to let me know and thanks for looking in!

Thanks for looking in Alex!

Bob, I already toned some of it back with the other types of aluminum so it has dull patches that are more silver. I still have to do decals and weathering, though I won't do a lot just a hint. Thanks for looking in!

Back