• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NAA P51 D-5 NA-1/18 scale

I see this and think about the two Mustangs I have that are left in the stash... Too soon to go to those yet as I have plenty of irons in the coals now. I really like the way you do things Geoff. It is inspiring and makes me wish I had a mind that worked in the same fashion as yours. KI see another large scale build in my future...

To these old eyes, and in my humble opinion, the lines of the D-5 Mustang are much cleaner and sleeker than the later models or field modified Mustangs that have the Dorsal Fin Fillet. Im not waving my own flag (maybe a little) but this was a HUGE amount of work just to create the new empennage. Im not unhappy with the result...

Now that the tail work is largely done, I thought I would have a look at wing fit and to guage how it all looked put together. The wing as it is comes up .5 " short in span (0.250" each side). The dihedral you see in the pics is being caused by the weight of the fuselage sitting on the unsupported wing but is surprisingly close to the required 5 degrees needed.

Thats pretty much the state of the Mustang at this point and brings everything up to current. Sorry for the delay in posting.I havent decided what to do next, but as soon as work begins (taking a bit of a break) Ill post progress.

Hope everyone is well...

Cheers

Geoff

jaw-dropping.gif
Did I say WOW?
jaw-dropping.gif
Simply amazing to me !

Cheers, Christian B)

Interesting that you should mention the aesthetics of the early 'D'. The sole reason that I bought a D-1 conversion set for the Tamiya 1:48 kit was because 'it looked better' - there was no other reason.

Really enjoying this project and looking forward to more.

Ian

Just awe inspiring. :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
Enjoying each new part. I really admire how you can stay focused for so long.
James

Hi James,

Thanks for looking in. Focus is a curious thing. It isnt something I try to do. Im kinda slow about these things. Do some research, cut some plastic, use some miliput, take a break, take a nap, have something to eat, go out with my wife, feed the dogs, take another nap...ya know...im focused. :)

Cheers

Geoff

I see this and think about the two Mustangs I have that are left in the stash... Too soon to go to those yet as I have plenty of irons in the coals now. I really like the way you do things Geoff. It is inspiring and makes me wish I had a mind that worked in the same fashion as yours. KI see another large scale build in my future...

Paul,

Oh yea, would love to see you do a large scale build. Like an 18nth F4U or a 38. I digress...Im glad you looked in and thank you deeply for for your overly generous compliment. stay tuned.

Best

Geoff

Interesting that you should mention the aesthetics of the early 'D'. The sole reason that I bought a D-1 conversion set for the Tamiya 1:48 kit was because 'it looked better' - there was no other reason.

Really enjoying this project and looking forward to more.

Ian

Ian

I fully understand your sentiment about how much better the D5 looks versus the others. Its cleaner,sleeker, and doesnt look like the back end is short coupled.
Did you do the conversion?

Best

Geoff

jaw-dropping.gif
Did I say WOW?
jaw-dropping.gif
Simply amazing to me !

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian,

Thank you for both looking in and your lovely comments...thank you. I so wish someone had done the F4 in 1/18nth. It was advertised but it never made the market...id be on that like white on rice. :)

Thanks again Bud...

Geoff

Great looking progress. Sorry for not responding to the chat. I left it on and walked away.

Regards,

Just awe inspiring. :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
Enjoying each new part. I really admire how you can stay focused for so long.
James

Hi James,

Thanks for looking in. Focus is a curious thing. It isnt something I try to do. Im kinda slow about these things. Do some research, cut some plastic, use some miliput, take a break, take a nap, have something to eat, go out with my wife, feed the dogs, take another nap...ya know...im focused. :)

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff, I totally concur with the above paragraph (y) Love what you're doing with the P-51.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ian

I fully understand your sentiment about how much better the D5 looks versus the others. Its cleaner,sleeker, and doesnt look like the back end is short coupled.
Did you do the conversion?

Best

Geoff

Not yet Geoff, somehow I still find other 'bright and shiny things' to get in the way.... 'Fairly certain I'm not the only one who yields to this affliction :drinks

Ian

Back