• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first Diorama (could be my last )

I have added a tent type workshop to the side of one of the buildings

DSC_7384.jpg

DSC_7372.jpg

I have varnished my base to make it as water tight as i can. I think i will have 2 buildings and a small shed type affair to balance things up. The tricky part of all this is making the view from all sides interesting. Most people who do building seem to make them 2D so the diorama only really has one view angle. I want this to have interest and be different from 4 sides. so no cheating here with backless buildings and missing detail round the back... :laugh:

DSC_7371.jpg

I still dont really know how to do a scenic base and i am a little worried about it being too flat :(

You mean the groundwork being too flat ?

When you start adding vehicles and accessorizing you wont notice the terrain level

Can I just say that if you mean the overall look being too flat then simply angle the buildings so they dont match the angles of the base ( keep all the buildings at the same angle though )

It gives a different perspective,... play with it and see :D

I must say i think you have done an awesome job on the building construction (y) (y) (y)

It's in a dessert town so i don't think there was much difference in the ground level, and you can play around with it when you start building up the groundwork.
And try (as Andy said)to move the houses a little so they don't follow the edges of the base,
well it's up to you to decide :D
I really like your houses and i'm sure it will be an interesting dio (y) (y)
//Mats

Thanks guys :)
I have actually gone with the building in line with the edges so i can use every bit of space. If i go with them at an angle i would need a bigger base. Also one thing i am trying to do here is have four entirely separate views from the four sides. Bit like looking down streets. I need therefore to have s focal point on each edge of the base when looking at ground level.
I did my ground work today so pics to follow once it all dries.
Thanks again, i need all the help i can get :)

Wow! looking good Paddy (y)
I'm sure you have your plan set so i look forward to see it come true :popcorn and if i can help with something just shout! :drinks
//Mats

Hello Paddy,

Atmosphere is creeping in B) Thats what you want !!

The tricky part of all this is making the view from all sides interesting.
Most people who do building seem to make them 2D so the diorama only really has one view angle.
I want this to have interest and be different from 4 sides.
so no cheating here with backless buildings and missing detail round the back...

This is what I try on most of my dio's, but it is difficult !

To me it looks like you are on the right track, I keep on following.
Lots of succes !

Willem

Thanks guys. Glad you are watching :)

This picture was going to be called "Band of brothers" but there is and Englishman and Irishman a Welshman and a Scotsman here with a Australian as well so they hate each other to be honest :laugh:

DSC_7428.jpg

As you can see , rather than one centre piece i have lots of small scenes developing as i go along. Here are a couple of test shots while i work out positions for people. The Bowser is the Italeri accessory that comes with a utility trailer. The guy filling the Jerry can should be holding a spade and the the guy pumping should be leaning on a Vehicle sand mat. they are both standing on a balsa wood pallet because of the risk of static :laugh:
In one of the sheds i have the guy on his bike thats just been fixed chatting to his mate. The shed will be illuminated as there is more detail to add inside.

DSC_7442.jpg

DSC_7444.jpg

There will be a centre piece of sorts in the form of a truck with its engine half out on a gantry with an outside work bench and all the bits he needs to do the job.............I think. (dont tell anyone but i'm making it up as i go along) :laugh:
Secretly i can wait to get back to aircraft and start building my Anson....

Fantastic work Paddy, great imagination going on. One thing, that gas hose doesn't look natural, maybe you can coil it up on top of the drum? I seem to recall that these type fuel delivery setups would have a vent hole open on the top of the 55gal drum and the hose would be resting in that hole to catch any leaked fuel.

Great touch with the broken slat on that pallet (y)

Good idea Bob, i will give it a slightly longer hose and put a bit of wire in it so it will stay where i put it
Cheers :cheer:

Just to let some of you know i have not forgotten this, i just need to make some trucks :laugh:
I have positioned a couple now so things are progressing

DSC_7549.jpg

I need to do something with that tarpaulin ! looks a bit new :)

Back