• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moon Puppy U.S. Medic with Wahine

Need to add texture? This is what all the cool kids are using, well...me at least.

016-M.jpg

Tom

Thanks Tom, I got a couple of jars of different mediums, will take inventory and figure out which is best, or hit Hobby Lobby...(y)

I got the stuff cleaned up and started dry fitting. All looks good but check this out.

hdd0dfd0.jpg

Major gap in between the torso an neckline. Any suggestions on how to fill that? Do I just slap in a bunch of putty and clean it up with the dremal?

This looks like a job for Squadron putty and n ail polish remover! Trowel in th putty, pushing it into the gaps, then use a q-tip and the npr to remove the excess still -wet putty. It's resin, right? You could use plain lacquer thinner. No sanding, no dr Emil, no damage or fuss.

Thanks Chuck, will do that tonight.

I think it's resin yes. I used the dremal on the nasty seams and it cleaned up really nice, I was even able to shape up some folds in the back of the guys shirt, didn't look half bad.

Another option, would be to slowly fill the gap using medium and fast set sperglue. I put a couple of drops on an old watch crystal (glass or sapphire) and using alarge applicator add the superglue to the gap till it fully fills up. Cappillary actio will draw it to the smallest gap first. Keep adding till it is all filled. Then a touch of accelerator to kick it and done. If you have been patient it usually doesn't need any clean up.

Did that a LOT with the Forge World Storm Eagle kit I built on last year.

Oh and the main applicator I use is a sewing needle with the end cut off the eye. Then the tines are smotthed down and polished so that it works like here:

StormEaglePg22.jpg~original

yeah it is the OLD format, but you can d/l it for reference if need be.

I was going to recommend Tamiya putty and dipping the q-tip in Testors liquid glue but Chuck beat me to it. :evil:

Not much of an update but it's progress. Got the issues around the collar fixed, you may notice a big bubble on his right sleeve, that's been taken care of.

hfb76cca.jpg

Primed in Tamiya Primer and uniform will be Nato black with Yellow Ocher blended in to get OD. I think that technique will give a lot of character to the uniform.

Now the face...what color should I start the face with? I've notice you figure guys start with the eyes, is there a reason for this?

I got the stuff cleaned up and started dry fitting. All looks good but check this out.

hdd0dfd0.jpg

Major gap in between the torso an neckline. Any suggestions on how to fill that? Do I just slap in a bunch of putty and clean it up with the dremal?

Dear Bob.

My sujestion :

Glue the head / torso....

Small amount of putty in the gaps...

Hand sanding...

Painting skin tones...

Painting the uniform...

...the end!

Good lucky!

Luiz

Nice.

I want to see 5 o'cock shadow. ;)

I think the eyes are the toughest, so getting them out of the way as well as not messing up anything else always seemed like good practice. I'm sure there's a real reason for it.

Not much of an update but it's progress. Got the issues around the collar fixed, you may notice a big bubble on his right sleeve, that's been taken care of.

hfb76cca.jpg

Primed in Tamiya Primer and uniform will be Nato black with Yellow Ocher blended in to get OD. I think that technique will give a lot of character to the uniform.

Now the face...what color should I start the face with? I've notice you figure guys start with the eyes, is there a reason for this?

Good job Bob!

Usually I paint faces with oils...so , at first , I paint the eyes with enamels ...when dried , I start the skin painting with oils , taking care to remove the oils in the eyes with turpentine...this is the way that I do...ok?

Good lucky!

Luiz

Nice.

I want to see 5 o'cock shadow. ;)

I think the eyes are the toughest, so getting them out of the way as well as not messing up anything else always seemed like good practice. I'm sure there's a real reason for it.

He's Hawaiian so I get to dodge that bullet. :tomato :tomato

Great suggestions Luiz, especially with the enamel eyes, once cured they will be pretty bulletproof.

I usually paint the whites of the eyes with acrylic.

Then the pupils with enamels. If you get sloppy you can trim them a bit with mineral spirit,
enamel thinner,...etc.

Tom

Back