• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling table accidents

Hawkwrench

Skinny Mike's pitot tube accident gave me an idea. What all modeling accidents have you guys had?

Me, I spilled 3/4 of my decal softener on the table the other night. You wanna talk about quick hands!!!
That was close. Luckily, no decals or modeling pieces were laying on the table.

Tim

There was this one time that the hot soldering iron slid down between my fingers when I was trying to set it in the rest...

Skinny Mike's pitot tube accident gave me an idea. What all modeling accidents have you guys had?

Me, I spilled 3/4 of my decal softener on the table the other night. You wanna talk about quick hands!!!
That was close. Luckily, no decals or modeling pieces were laying on the table.

Tim

...it happened the samething with me,Tim :bang head ...

Best!

Luiz

Bottle of Tamiya green cap spilt on a couple of models in progress and some sprues. Garbage can 2 James 0, swearing jar Rich.

And my worst mistake, took my just finished Avenger to model shop. 15 minutes early so go and buy a coffee and a couple of papers and some magazines. Open door throw papers etc on passenger seat and put coffee down. Look over and realize Avenger is now squashed and unfixable. :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

James

When my kids were young, between running around with school, scouts, sports, parties, etc. and working on the house, modeling was literally done in 15-20 blocks of time snuck in here and there. Painting was even harder since the AB couldn't be fired up past there bedtime since my shop is in the attic above their bedrooms and the compressor reverberates through the floor.

One afternoon while my wife was finishing getting ready for a family party we were heading to, I had about 10 minutes and headed for the shop. She caught me and just said 'be careful, those are your new pants', although she couldn't have known I was going to paint.

Siphon feed color cup, half full of Tamiya Dunkelgelb just fell out of the Iwata. Perp walk past the wife to the bedroom to change. New pair of work pants.

Years ago, working on a model on the coffee table. Knocked over bottle of Tenax. A couple of months later Renee tired to change the batteries in the tv remote. The compartment door was glued shut. :blush:

Won't even begin to discuss x-acto knife cuts. But, like I tell Renee, at least I do it with a new blade! (y)

Super thin super hot C/A spilled on my thigh, Wifey walks in and sees me with my pants and shorts at half mast amd me trying to put the fire out with water. Nuff said.

Kenny, X-atco is my nightmare. I need a brand new blade every 15 minutes or so when I'm doing a lot of detail work in sculpting and with the head loupe going, I'm always jabbing the point somewhere unintended. The worst is when I'm getting leverage to carve fabric wrinkles and the piece breaks leaving all the pressure heading towards my thumb.

After years of hockey goaltending, I still have the instinct to pinch my knees together or kick out a foot to block something. It works great saving a part or paint bottle from hitting the floor, not so great when the X-acto goes flying. I added a lip around the bench to keep them from impaling me or the floor as they roll off.

The worst bench type accident I saw was my friend about 25 years ago. He was using a saw bit on the original Dremel. Remember those, about 60,000 RPM in your hand, no flex shafts, on/off button hid in the back? He was cutting an acrylic skull and to get a better grip, was holding it against his leg. As I was getting the words. "I don't think that's a good idea..." out, the saw head grabbed his jeans and disappeared into his thigh, leaving what I can only describe as well marbled hamburger. The next sentence out of my mouth was, "I'll grab my keys".

guess I've been lucky ... there was the razor saw & finger tip slice dang it was quick ... other than that all spills have been acrylic ... :good:

Hmmm the ovencleaner was the most painfull one but the most damage was making a paint stirrer out of an old meat cutter Worked fantastic untill the one time the pillbottles lid came off You know how dificult Humbrol lids come off usualy? Well this one came of on first impact with the wooden beam on the ceiling and the paint went on to make a fantastic splash all over the ceiling and dripping on the wooden floor At least it was easy to clean as it was so easy to see Yep gloss RED. :frantic

At least your significant other didn't come in right after the commotion.....thinking you managed to gash yourself. :laugh:

God I hate cleaning up paint spills.....such a pain.

I had to go borrow a long ladder from the neighbour We have an ceiling that is about 3,2M high. Only told wifey about it about a month back Actually I was showing a buddy of mine how easy it worked to shake the paint in a new can and I just sorta told him about how it flew out and hit the roof and I had to do a repaint of the ceiling there And I clean forgot that wifey was sitting behind me. :blush:

For the record - this is not the type of inspiration I wanted to be!!!! :tomato

So here is the offense, fell about 4 inches right onto the nose. I guess I got the nose weight correct! :S

hcb06d9d.jpg

Shouldn't be a tough fix, but this is why I use brass pitot tubes every chance I get!

Mike

Hope you're not offended for being the thread inspiration brother! Your accident plus my spill just made me think of modeling accidents or near misses.

Hope you fix it better than it was before! :good:

Tim

Back