• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles.Update 4/30/19

It's molded in color so no painting! :rotf

That'll be great...:popcorn

You know, back in the 1970s, I knew a guy who never painted his car models. He used Rubbing compound, car cleaner and real paste wax to finish the plastic bodies. They looked surprisingly good too!

I'll stick with paint thank you! :)

My first though was Pocher but than I recalled the Entex kit . I hope it's good.

For years I thought I wanted a real one . That is till I found out they drove like a covered wagon .

Cool old MG. None the less .

Cheers, Christian B)

I've heard there were even worse mechanically than a covered wagon as well! I'd still take one if only for the way they looked!

Bob

No apologies necessary!

this will be cool in its own right!

Don't count my chickens before they hatch Warren,

I'm in the last stages of beating these cancers and the chemo has the effect that I can't touch metal or anything below room temperature. I have to wear gloves and for me at least, that's a handicap. I'll deal with it but can't be certain about the results!

It'll be fun in any case!

Bob

No apologies necessary!

I'm in the last stages of beating these cancers and the chemo has the effect that I can't touch metal or anything below room temperature. I have to wear gloves and for me at least, that's a handicap. I'll deal with it but can't be certain about the results!

Bob

I am very sorry to hear of your situation, Bob, and hope your condition improves to the point you can enjoy it without restraints.

Holy cow Bob! No metal or cool stuff?! A little curious as to what the deal is because that is a bit strange.
Really hope it all works out and things bet much better as I know you have been dealing with this for a while now.

I agree the MG is an interesting looking old beast but wasn't all that great as a dependable vehicle.

If you are hitting on this old beast I should dig out my old Entex 1/16 Bugatti Royal kit that has languished 2/3rds done for 3 decades and finish it. It has the chassis all built and the body all painted but the body to fenders fit was way off so I carefully packed it away.

My first though was Pocher but than I recalled the Entex kit . I hope it's good.

For years I thought I wanted a real one . That is till I found out they drove like a covered wagon .

Cheers, Christian B)

I've heard there were even worse mechanically than a covered wagon as well! I'd still take one if only for the way they looked!

Hope things get better for you soon .

Bob

After High school I worked in a garage that dealt in foreign cars only .
The VW's were really our bread & butter but we got in plenty of MG's and other Brit cars . Most had interchangeable parts except for the TR's which were totally different creatures .

Most of the MG's were A's , B's and D's Which were not too bad . We had a TF ( which was pretty cool ) but it sat waiting for engine parts for over a year .
Never got a TC. In . Pretty rare even then
They are way cool but I could never have one that I could not enjoy driving . Some of the parts were only found on brit cars and that would be hard to deal with for a driver and that was back then.
Cheers, Christian B)

No apologies necessary!

Bob

I am very sorry to hear of your situation, Bob, and hope your condition improves to the point you can enjoy it without restraints.

Thanks for your concern, I'm actually on the tail end of all this. On May 2nd, I get my last Chemo infusion and then, ........... I'm told all four have gone bye bye!

I'll be good to go shortly!

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

The VW's were really our bread & butter but we got in plenty of MG's and other Brit cars . Most had interchangeable parts except for the TR's which were totally different creatures .

Most of the MG's were A's , B's and D's Which were not too bad . We had a TF ( which was pretty cool ) but it sat waiting for engine parts for over a year .
They are way cool but I could never have one that I could not enjoy driving . Some of the parts were only found on brit cars and that would be hard to deal with for a driver and that was back then.
Cheers, Christian B)

Wow! Cool job for after high school! I had a paper route!

I didn't mean to have one as a full time car to drive! No, that wouldn't work at all! And, I couldn't afford to have one in my garage to look at, so, guess I'll just have to manage without one! :)

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

I didn't mean to have one as a full time car to drive! No, that wouldn't work at all! And, I couldn't afford to have one in my garage to look at, so, guess I'll just have to manage without one! :)

Bob

:rotf I know what you mean . Never enough time for that anyway :facepalm

Got to drive some cool cars and the boss was a racer to boot . Sorry for the blabber . You hit a nerve.

Enjoy the TC. :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

Got to drive some cool cars and the boss was a racer to boot . Sorry for the blabber . You hit a nerve.

Thanks Christian,

Blabber is good! I like Blabber! I think sometimes we get too serious about this stuff! :) Enjoyed your blabber so much I added a bunch of my own! :)

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob

Thanks Christian,

Blabber is good! I like Blabber! I think sometimes we get too serious about this stuff! :) Enjoyed your blabber so much I added a bunch of my own! :)

Bob

:rotf :rotf :rotf Glue on :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking forward to this !!!

I am starting to regret not participating, but, if everything works out, then I might just be able to put something together.

Never fancied one of those cars myself, but I am sure the model, when done, will look fantastic.

Cheers,

Laurence

Looking forward to this !!!

I am starting to regret not participating, but, if everything works out, then I might just be able to put something together.

Never fancied one of those cars myself, but I am sure the model, when done, will look fantastic.

Cheers,

Laurence

Well, I wanted to participate in Mike's group build, but, honestly, I have been away from the bench so long, I thought a car model would be something simple to get back working again. I've gotta get my hands used to holding tools again. I only have two more sessions of chemo to go and hopefully, after mid-May, I should be cookin' again at the bench!

Bob

I painted it with automotive lacquer with an airbrush. I used a primer as the lacquer has a harsh plastic eating ingredient. Gave it two coats of red primer first.

After a few weeks, I polished it with automotive cleaner, (Rubbing compound is a bit heavy for this, then gave it a couple of coats of wax. The firewall will get a coat of gloss black.

0~18.JPG

00~22.JPG

00000~16.JPG

0000~19.JPG

I'm happy with the paint job. No flaws and by using the cleaner and wax, the gloss is more to scale.

I'm posting the wheels on their sprue so you can see they aren't chrome, a dull grey. I'll use polished steel paint to give them the "right" look!

000000~8.JPG

Bob

Back