• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making snow

pokuna

Hi guys
Does anyone know the most realistic way to make snow have heard of the cream of tarter methord ,any ideas.
Cheers. Chris :drinks

Unless you are dead-set on making your own, you can try this stuff too:

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/SN140/page/1

Don't worry about buying all their recommended adhesives and whatnot. A thin layer of whit glue works just as well.

I used the tamiya powder snow effect in this vignette/diorama

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/road-warriors/111389-commando-car-winter-battle?start=48

//Mats

Hi Mats
Cheers mate thanks for the link cracking model loved the snow ice effect and the water moving as the jeep goes Ito the frozen water .
Cheers Chris :drinks :good:

The ones shown are probably better, but I have used baking powder, plaster of parris (didnt like it), and as a kid I even sprayed on the fake snow for window decarations. It didnt turn out too bad. Havent done anything with snow except the real thing which I dont recommend, in years though so cant really give a good answer.
James

I usually us Micro-balloon, a finely ground foam used by RC modeling community as a filler when mixed with epoxy. It can be sprinkled on some thinned white glue or mixed with gel modeling pastes to build up deep snow drifts.

It can also be used as a seam filler when sprinkled over CA glue. It is a bit easier to sand and file than straight CA glue.

SSF1.jpg

I have heard that in some climates using things like baking soda, finely crushed salt or sugar or even flour can attract unwanted visitors (i.e. bugs) and they can discolour over time.

:drinks
Rich

I have heard the exact same thing, especially the part about discoloring (i.e. baking soda will turn yellow over time). Don't use anything that is also food.

I have heard the exact same thing, especially the part about discoloring (i.e. baking soda will turn yellow over time). Don't use anything that is also food.
:facepalm Darn there goes the white frosting idea.

On the other hand- in a more realistic vein - the microbaloons are a good choice as you can get small wind blown drifts and patches of snow as opposed to large blankets of the stuff

I think we're all missing the obvious here...

What about using real snow?..Sure you'd have to keep your dio in the freezer, but it's real snow!

Ahem...heading to Costco this weekend, which is near Hobbytown (microballoons), which is next
to a beauty supply store (acrylic polymer nail stuff).

Glad I could be of help... *cough*

Tom

P.S...I've heard the Woodland Scenic stuff mixed with a little Future makes good slush...

Hi guys
Thanks for all the feedback and help ,really great not sure about the real stuff lol been sat in in the deep freezer for 2 and half hours figure looks great but I can't let go of him lol
Cheers Chris :drinks :good:

Micro balloons for me mate but as always you should be careful with that stuff and do not breathe it in

Trust me when I worked in the Wind Turbine manufacture trade I had to clean up the snow tent from time to time,..full respirators was in order.

So yeah micro balloons has my vote !

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/cold-steel/107881-tamiya-krupp-protze-kfz69?start=168

Hey Andy

Been meaning to pick up some of these little balloons...you don't have to inflate them, right?

Anyways, do you need to wear a particle mask while working with them, do they tend to float about?
Or do you mean just be careful and not sling them all around and make a blizzard.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom sometimes you need to put a smilie with your jokes..for a minute I was thinking... :blink :huh: :facepalm

Back