• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A1 76(W)

Cam

Here are a few pics of my most recent project. This is the Dragon M4A1 76(W) "Operation Cobra" kit. The only additions are a few pieces of PE from Aber and a TMD Late split hatch cupola. I will be adding some Formations tools and Tow cable as well. I would say this Build is 80% done. I just finished the tracks today and have to say that was probably the most frustrating part of the whole process. IF anyone knows where to get DS tracks other than Cyberhobby I would be very grateful. Any and all comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

Click images for larger version

The Red Photo Etch is actually Dimensional T-shirt paint.
20100110-DSC_0002-4.jpg

20100110-DSC_0001-4.jpg

20100110-DSC_0003-4.jpg

This is a nice build .

Did the metal barrel come in the kit?

I was looking at getting this one .
Very nice

Michael :)

Hey Cam
Looking good! Mind the gap(s) alongside the fender walls on the transmisison cover.
The lightguards could possibly be straightened a little more to have the uprights more parallel and vertical (before the curve back over the light?)
Did you remove the erroneous extra fuel filler caps located to each side of the air vent cover below the bustle on the deck? They are located inside the splash guard, and need to be totally removed to represent this earliest of versions.

Cam wrote:
The Red Photo Etch is actually Dimensional T-shirt paint.

What is this stuff? Could you elaborate? Looks effective...
Brad :)

Thanks Gents!
Hey Mike, Ya it comes with the kit, there is also two Plastic barrels included. One with a thread protector and one without.

Hey Brad, You are right about the light guards. The funky shape of the front hull and the Dragon PE just didn't mate up. I might pop them off and use the ABER ones as the side pieces are seperate.
I haven't glued the upper and lower down yet so I was waiting to fill in the front around the final drive until then, but good eye mate.
I did remember to remove the two fuel filler caps as well, that one I noticed has caught a few people off guard.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

P.S
Brad the paint I used is found in craft stores and it's a fabric paint. The particular brand I found is Tulip and is available here in Michaels. I won't take credit for the tip as I got it from Steve Z's new book.
20100110-DSC_0007-4.jpg

I removed the Dragon Headlight guards and replaced them with some Aber Items. These seem to be the way to go.

20100111-DSC_0029.jpg

Hi Cam.

That is a nice looking Sherman. And I love the idea of using the fabric paint. Something I would have never thought of in a hundred years. It fixes one of the things that has always bothered me about photo etch pieces that are supposed to be round instead of flat. I have got to pick me up some of this stuff.

Gary B)

Hi Cam,

Great to see so many Shermans around! And yours look really good, specially because you did a nice,clean build. Great to see you did through the LBL tracks, hope you enjoyed the result (you know...no pain, no gain!) :)
I´d say you will go for the OD and Black paint scheme?
Keep us posted, can´t wait to see it finished!
Cheers,

Juliano

Thanks Guy's,
Paint will be in the not to distant future. I still have some work to do on the ass end. It will be the OD and Black Camo Scheme used by the 2nd and 3rd AD's during OP Cobra. I hear the mailman dropped off some Formations goodies for me today. Can't wait to get home and throw some more resin at this build.

Here's a few update pics. The Upper and lower hull are almost complete. Just a few small details here and there to add on. The turret is close to completion. I just have a few details to add as well as fix some of the cast texture. Thanks for looking

Click pictures for larger image

20100114-DSC_0036-2.jpg

20100114-DSC_0035-2.jpg

20100114-DSC_0032-2.jpg

20100114-DSC_0031-2.jpg

Hi Cam.

That is looking nicer everytime I see it. And that tarp on the back is fantastic. What did you make it out of?

Gary B)

Hey Thanks Gary.

The Putty tarp is made with Kneadite. Just roll it out cut and drape..pretty easy really.
Thanks again.

Hey Cam, some great progress here mate.
Those Formations tools are the business!
That said, be sure to bed down well the 'business end' of the crowbar as the front bracket/holder appears to have a gap under it. As you probably know this is welded straight to the hull, so some weld beads wouldn't go astray either...
There is one other thing easily overlooked on these DML kits (They did fix it up later).
That is the spare track link holders on the rear hull overhang should have the rectangular gaps (that you can see through from each side) blanked off with some plastic card. Insert it so it is recessed deeper than the sides of the holder.
Looking great. You mentioned 2AD or 3AD. Have you decided which yet? Will it have a hedgerow 'device' mounted?
Good stuff
Brad

jeez Brad,

You have a keen eye for detail .

Cam has done a perfect job on this .
The tarp really sells the model ,excellent job.

Thats a sharp eye to pick up that detail :blink :laugh:

Michael :cheer: :)

Thanks Everyone.
Brad Great eye mate. You are right about the track holders. I broke two of the Aber ones and pretty much gave up.I have another set I might try and fold again. I have pretty much decided on the 3AD but it wont have a Rhino Device. I read in Armoured thunderbolt they weren't as common (but yes they did use them) in the 2AD and 3AD since both divisions preferred to stay on the roads whenever possible. I really appreciate your input on this. It's my second model in a number of years and I really want it to have some punch. Thanks again to everyone.

Cam, glad to view most any M4 and offer whatever I know...
And as for your First Army info, I have read that about 75% of 2AD tanks were equipped with hedgerow devices whereas the 3AD only about 25%, so 3AD would work perfect :)

mike walsh wrote:
jeez Brad,

:laugh: :laugh: Nothing more than having built a couple myself and finding good reference photos ;)

Brad

Back