• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M-60A1

Ok some have wanted me to go through my paint process such as it is. Well here goes......

Now keep in mind this phase is about lighting and shading not weathering. That comes later.

I usually begin by base coating with a dark color and since the basic color is desert yellow I used khaki

DSC05354.JPG

DSC05355.JPG

To get an idea of how light effects the object I put the top hull on.

DSC05356.JPG

As you can see the colors under the fendors are darker with varing shades as you come forward. Most modelers just paint the base color add a wash or two and let the room lighting provide the shading. My objective is to paint the shading so that it is there no matter what the lighting.

Ok after the base coat is dry I will begin the process of lighting areas with progressivly lighter shades of paint. The effect is very subtle at first, but you will see the difference as move along. Now I'm using an airbrush to do this at this point. I fill the airbrush cup halfway with the khaki mixture I used to base coat the model. Now add about three drops of desert yellow. I applied a misting of this to the whole model just lighten it a bit while applying a heavier coat to wheels and other raised areas.

DSC05357.JPG

DSC05358.JPG

Three more drops of desert yellow paying more attention to the wheel centers and torsion bars.

DSC05359.JPG

DSC05360.JPG

Three more drops repeat.

DSC05361.JPG

DSC05362.JPG

Check your shading...

DSC05363.JPG

DSC05364.JPG

By this point we have reached an almost pure desert yellow color in the paint cup. Reduce the amout in the cup to half and add three drops of white. Now I focus on lower wheel rims, tops of torsion bars, shocks, and other raised areas. I repeated this process three times.

Here is where we are....

DSC05365.JPG

DSC05366.JPG

Shading and color match check.

DSC05367.JPG

From this view you can see even though the lighting is dark details can be seen because the painting has highlighted them.

DSC05368.JPG

When you are finished the paint may look really bright. Don't worry about that we are going to tone it down later with a wash.

Hope this helps.

Terry :)

Nice job Terry! Sorry I missed your post last week. I dig the road wheels, good timing on that, I need to try the same thing. :soldier

I am concerned, but now that I see this; my concerns are gone seeing this magnificent work. Brilliant job Terry!

Back