• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lublin R.XIII Ter (1/48 Spojnia)

sharkman

Master at Arms
Yeah, its a new year! I'm hoping I actually get to finish a campaign this time!

I'm planning to build the old Spojnia Lublin R.XIII Ter for this. I got this kit off Ebay a while back. Everything is there. I know Mirage re-released this kit and I assume its the same molds.

I also picked up the Part photoetch set for the floatplane version of this kit a while back so I'll be adding that as well.

Ooo...its very Green!!! :sick:

The decals don't look that great but might be usable. I may look at trying to paint them on!

Part of the Technical Manual is here:
http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/drawings/fragment_instrukcji_obslugi_R-XIII.pdf

Regards,

It's good to see some Polish plane here, but why not in the "First Blood"?

Naval Air Squadron were used in 1939 11 R-XIIIter and R-XIIIG floatplanes. One of them (i don't remeber now it was 710 or 714) made a night bombing raid on Danzig on September 7, searching in vain for the Schleswig-Holstein. On September 8 all planes were bombed, while stationed on the sea near Hel on the Hel Peninsula.

It's good to see some Polish plane here, but why not in the "First Blood"?

Spare time is a rarity for me these days, I have to choose which campaigns to participate in in the hopes of actually completing one!

Naval Air Squadron were used in 1939 11 R-XIIIter and R-XIIIG floatplanes. One of them (i don't remeber now it was 710 or 714) made a night bombing raid on Danzig on September 7, searching in vain for the Schleswig-Holstein. On September 8 all planes were bombed, while stationed on the sea near Hel on the Hel Peninsula.

Cool bit of history!

OK.

Btw - it was "714" and the crew (pilot lt.Rudzki and observer lt.Juszczakiewicz) made a two combat mission during the night 6/7 September and 7/8 September. They drop bombs and fired a German units celebrating in Dazing.

Thanks Hubert!

A little update tonight, my first bit of work at the bench in a long while! Looking over this kit it does have some very nice detail for its age. However, I will try to improve on that a little.

First up, the floats! These are going to require a bit of work because the engraved panel lines are deep and man, there's a lot of them! The few pictures I have make the floats look a lot smoother than they are modeled in the kit. Anyway, I'll have to check some of the images and maybe fill and sand some of these!

Next was a brief start of the interior. Got a few of the little PE bits bent and made. This set should add a lot of detail to the base kit. Most of it is dedicated to sprucing up the interior (the kit interior basically sucks).

A question though for anyone who's worked with more PE than me: Is it possible or worth it to try and solder some PE together or is the standard just to use CA glue? I'm wondering about that frame work for the cockpit. I was thinking that if I could solder some of it together it might be stronger and easier to install?

Thanks MP!

Well, my first attempt at soldering didn't come out exactly as I expected. I picked up this little wonder tool from Home Depot along with some solder with a flux agent incorporated.

I made a few trial runs with some scrap PE frets and they didn't turn out so bad...

Then I tried it on some of the interior framing. One thing I need right off the bat is two extra arms (or at least something to hold parts). I was able to get a few pieces together but my frustration levels rose quite quickly!! I've done some welding in the past and even some plumbing work with success but this has been excruciating! Maybe because of the size of the pieces.

I don't think its a loss but I might have to try and clean up these joins again. Might pop over to the LHS to see if they have any better supplies or ideas!

I think you'll find soldering easier with liquid flux, Warren. Here's great video by modeling guru Paul Budzik- it was an eye-opener for me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iBji-Oz3J7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/iBji-Oz3J7E]

I think you'll find soldering easier with liquid flux, Warren. Here's great video by modeling guru Paul Budzik- it was an eye-opener for me.

http://youtu.be/iBji-Oz3J7E

Thanks Chuk! I'll check it out!

I was going to write that I couldn't see the video attachment but there it is when I clicked on "quote". Not sure why it didn't show up for me in your post....

I can't see it either, but that often happens when I post video links. I'll try to fix it- it's very informative!

Ha! Got it!

Thanks Chuk, that was incredibly useful!

I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I'll go practice a bit more and see if I can clean up what I've already done.

:drinks

Ok, so things look a little better after some instructional videos (that and I raided my plumbing supplies for some flux agent)!

I had some rather big blobs of solder so I had to spread some of it out a bit. I should be able to hide some with some paint.

I added a few more parts as well but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Definitely need some more practice!

I also started to prepare the inside of the fuselage for the new interior by removing some of the detail

That's it for tonight!

Back