• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, Base & Buildings, Updated Feb. 13, 2020

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 9, 2019

I wounder what would happen if our "Dad" Bob built just one 1/35 model kit "Out-Of-Box" A quickie! Monogram 1/32 Jeep & 37mm gun!?! :rotf
Just to lubricate the wheels of model creativity! Not that Bob's wheels need much lubrication! (y) :notworthy This is ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING! Sierra Hotel Bob! I hope you appreciate how much your techniques inspire others!
:ro: :v :salute

I wounder what would happen if our "Dad" Bob built just one 1/35 model kit "Out-Of-Box" A quickie! Monogram 1/32 Jeep & 37mm gun!?! :rotf
Just to lubricate the wheels of model creativity! Not that Bob's wheels need much lubrication! (y) :notworthy This is ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING! Sierra Hotel Bob! I hope you appreciate how much your techniques inspire others!
:ro: :v :salute

I did just build a 1/16th scale MGTC on the campaign, "Another World".

I just hope my work inspires people on this website as much as their work inspires me!

Thanks Rhino!

Bob

Fantastic and glad to see you at the bench!

Regards,

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 1, 2019

Got quite a bit done, however, these scratch built buildings are not as easy as they may seem. This one will be loaded with details.

First off, I applied the gilt, an 18 Kt. gold enamel available at art supply stores. A lot of gilted architectural parts will be in this building as the European Train stations are very elaborately decorated. In fact, so are some American ones. St. Louis comes to mind. I start with a flat black base which will all be covered except in the deepest crevices with the gold gilt. Here are two arched doorway trims. The surrounding white/gray color will become the pinkish marble that will be the basic decor for the Great hall.

888888~0.JPG

Some more gilt plus a double door, originally base coated with flesh colored acrylic, then I used artists oils Raw umber and Burnt Sienna to simulate the wood color and pattern.

8888~2.JPG

more gilt.

8888888.JPG

Ditto.

88888~0.JPG

Here is one of the balconies that will be on the front wall of the Grand Hall.

88888888.JPG

After creating the marble effect, I printed it out on high gloss photographic paper.

88~5.JPG

If anybody is interested in the marble making process, you can see two examples of it on these two threads.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/25388-simpatico-a-miniature-mansion-for-my-daughter?start=132

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/116233-a-scratch-built-1-1-scale-cabinet-2012?start=48

Then I laminate the photographic paper onto a same size sheet of Matt board. Matt board has many uses but the most common is to Matt paintings and photographs in picture frames.

888~3.JPG

Then I cut the laminated matt board into square "tiles" and adhere them to , in this case, a wall.

8~2.JPG

Here is the inside front wall of the grand hall. I have yet to glue all these parts down as I still have to marbleize them to match the tiles. Everything that is white/gray will get the marble treatment before being permanently attached. it is shown laying on a table so the parts will stay in place. There will be a lot more details on this when finished as well.

888888888.JPG

This will be the side wall of the Grand Hall. It is also a work in progress and only a few parts are attached. I have to wait until I put it in place permanently before completing the staircase which is just laying on there in the photo. Again, more marble, more murals and a coffee shop, toilet doors, and so on will be added.

9~2.JPG

And last, I put the two walls in place to give the viewer an idea of how it will look. In addition to these two walls and their details, there will be another wall facing and perpendicular to the tracks. It will be a giant arch that will be all glass on the upper half. The lower half to meet up with the train shed where the people would normally walk to their trains. Above will be the large arched bracing that will hold the roof. I have designed the steel framework but as yet haven't made them.

99~5.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Pretty cool details and well executed. (y)

B) :notworthy
Now thats fancy! Always amazed at your architecual modelling skills and the vision that goes with it.
(y)

Ian.

Thanks Mike!!!!!

I appreciate the bump forward!!

Bob

B) :notworthy
Now thats fancy! Always amazed at your architecual modelling skills and the vision that goes with it.
(y)

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

You know, when I was a kid and people would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always answered an architect. Seriously, up until my teens, that was what I wanted to be. However, life carries you along and I went in other directions. I have al;ways had a thing for architecture and that is why buildings are almost always a part of my dioramas!

Bob

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 1, 2019

Got quite a bit done, however, these scratch built buildings are not as easy as they may seem. This one will be loaded with details.

First off, I applied the gilt, an 18 Kt. gold enamel available at art supply stores. A lot of gilted architectural parts will be in this building as the European Train stations are very elaborately decorated. In fact, so are some American ones. St. Louis comes to mind. I start with a flat black base which will all be covered except in the deepest crevices with the gold gilt. Here are two arched doorway trims. The surrounding white/gray color will become the pinkish marble that will be the basic decor for the Great hall.

888888~0.JPG

Some more gilt plus a double door, originally base coated with flesh colored acrylic, then I used artists oils Raw umber and Burnt Sienna to simulate the wood color and pattern.

8888~2.JPG

more gilt.

8888888.JPG

Ditto.

88888~0.JPG

Here is one of the balconies that will be on the front wall of the Grand Hall.

88888888.JPG

After creating the marble effect, I printed it out on high gloss photographic paper.

88~5.JPG

If anybody is interested in the marble making process, you can see two examples of it on these two threads.

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/25388-simpatico-a-miniature-mansion-for-my-daughter?start=132

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/bob-letterman/116233-a-scratch-built-1-1-scale-cabinet-2012?start=48

Then I laminate the photographic paper onto a same size sheet of Matt board. Matt board has many uses but the most common is to Matt paintings and photographs in picture frames.

888~3.JPG

Then I cut the laminated matt board into square "tiles" and adhere them to , in this case, a wall.

8~2.JPG

Here is the inside front wall of the grand hall. I have yet to glue all these parts down as I still have to marbleize them to match the tiles. Everything that is white/gray will get the marble treatment before being permanently attached. it is shown laying on a table so the parts will stay in place. There will be a lot more details on this when finished as well.

888888888.JPG

This will be the side wall of the Grand Hall. It is also a work in progress and only a few parts are attached. I have to wait until I put it in place permanently before completing the staircase which is just laying on there in the photo. Again, more marble, more murals and a coffee shop, toilet doors, and so on will be added.

9~2.JPG

And last, I put the two walls in place to give the viewer an idea of how it will look. In addition to these two walls and their details, there will be another wall facing and perpendicular to the tracks. It will be a giant arch that will be all glass on the upper half. The lower half to meet up with the train shed where the people would normally walk to their trains. Above will be the large arched bracing that will hold the roof. I have designed the steel framework but as yet haven't made them.

99~5.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

Pretty cool details and well executed. (y)

Getting the pictures on a new page. (y)

I just finished doing some of the marbleizing. I took photos step by step. I remember on a couple of other dioramas I used marble and several viewers asked about how. So, here's an update with a bit of tutorial included.

I'll start with the two columns. These are the two that will be on either side of the interior wall of the front of the Hauptnahnhof. Here is is with the light pink marble tiles on the facade.

888888888.JPG

I wanted a different marble for the trim pieces with more colors yet will still go with the pink background. So, I start with the column with a medium brown .01 pen and make some veins.

9~3.JPG

Then using a black 01 pen, I make adjacent lines to the brown veins. I don't make them the same but in a similar path.

99~6.JPG

As mentioned in a previous thread, I started by painting the columns with Camouflage gray, then a cloud pattern of matt white. Then, after the brown and black veins complete, I use artist's rectified Turpentine. Note: I use that product in every aspect of thinning paint, cleaner everything you would use a thinner for. I just prefer it to all other forms of solvents and thinners. I'm thinking other thinners will work, but I can'
t say for certain as I have never tried them. Rectified turpentine is a very aggressive solvent!

I wet a brush in the A.R.T. and then go over the veins until they begin to bleed out a bit. Then set aside to dry.

999~6.JPG

Then I use my piece of plywood with sandpaper taped sand side up and rub the pastels to create the powder I will use to apply the colors. In this case. I used black, brown, raw umber, burnt Sienna and light red. I make five piles of powder, then, using a soft brush, pick up the powder and more or less "paint" the pastels where I want them. After applying, I hold the column over a waste basket and blow off the excess powder.

9999~5.JPG

When i get the colors where I want them, I remove the excess powder and spray with a high gloss clear enamel. Gently so as not to disturb the colors. A light coat first to set the pastels, then after that dries a heavier coat to get the gloss I am after.

99999~4.JPG

Here is an angle shot so you can see the gloss.

999999~3.JPG

Then I mix some red and black acrylic paint to get a brownish maroon for the base.

9999999.JPG

Then I paint the capital with flat black. This will be painted with the 18 Kt. gold paint after it dries.

99999999.JPG

Here is a close up of the clear gloss coated pastels on a column.

99999999999.JPG

And here are the completed marble columns/

999999999999.JPG

Now for the base blocks the columns will set on. I made these out of Lego pieces as when glued together and veneered with sheet plastic, they will make a sturdy base for the resin columns.

Again, the camouflage base coat with the matt white cloud pattern. Then the brown pen. In the past, I have used both pens, (Available in art stores), and double and triple ought brushes. Either will work, the pens are faster.

8~3.JPG

On these I started the turpentine before the black pen, it really doesn't make a difference.

88~6.JPG

Then I added the black veins and some more blurring.

888~4.JPG

Now comes the pastels. I use exactly the same colors as on the columns.

8888~3.JPG

A little more brown, burnt sienna and blurring.

88888~1.JPG

Then, after I get the pastels where I want them, I blow off any excess and set aside.

After both are complete, I give them the clear gloss treatment.

8888888~0.JPG

From another angle to better display the gloss.

88888888~0.JPG

Then I move on to one of the arches and use the same method.

0000~21.JPG

Here is another angle.

00~23.JPG

Then, as the inside of both arches will be visible, they get the marble treatment as well.

888888888~0.JPG

Then, one of the balconies gets the treatment!

0~19.JPG

And, finally it gets the gold gilt as well.

000~23.JPG

Thanks for looking in! This one is moving right along!

Logistics, Base & Buildings Updated Oct. 13, 2019

That is a really neat process Bob! Tanks for showing us. I would have thought a lighter color but you used some really red marble.

Great_Job.gif

That is a really neat process Bob! Tanks for showing us. I would have thought a lighter color but you used some really red marble.

Great_Job.gif

Thanks Paul,

It is rare that a wall such as this is comprised of one pattern of marble. Usually, the wall tiles are a subtle pattern and the columns, etc., are more on the bold side. They are different but I think when you see them together, they won't clash at all! We'll see!

Bob

Wow, what a brilliant yet simple method for making marble! I never would have figured that out on my own. Magnificent!

Wow, what a brilliant yet simple method for making marble! I never would have figured that out on my own. Magnificent!

Thanks Mark,

Most really good systems I have found ober the years are simplistic!

Bob

Back