• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard2's Mulligan "Trumpeters 1/72 TU-16 Badger"

Leopard2

So, here is my Mulligan. I decided on Trumpeter's 1/72 TU-16. This kit has been sitting on my shelf for several years now and has been calling my name. It looks like a fairly easy and decent kit. Well, lets see what happens.

Joe

Right on Joe! I have one of these hanging on my ceiling. I can't remember any real issues with it, just keep an eye on the seams at the wing roots. I also found two more in the stash when I was cleaning up, so I can now do an Egyptian one and an Iraqi one.

I'll be watching this one with interest.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Iraqi version. So far I have most of the flight deck, wings and bomb bay assembled and I started on the engine pods. So far the fit is pretty good except for the engine pods. Those will require some filling and sanding. Pictures will follow.

P.S: This reminds me of a questions someone of you might be able to answer. What is the interior color of the cockpit? The instructions call out for everything black. Floor, bulkheads, sides, seats....everything. Unfortunately I haven't found a decent interior shot of the TU-16 and all other Soviet/Russian interior shots I saw, shows it in that weird Russian interior green.

Joe

From a poor picture I found it looks to be all black. But looking at a you tube of a Bear its the green blue. So I guess you could extrapolate or use artistic license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVtYib8StY

James

If I recall, I did mine in that bluegreen color on the sides and around the IP's. The floors and the IP's were painted black. I thought it was a good compromise since I couldn't find anything definitive either.

Ok, here are the promised pics. But first a few words. I painted the interior and the floor in zinc-chromate since this how it looked in the TU-95. Initially I had the instrument panels in blue-green and wanted to paint the instruments black but that didn't work out. I also tried leaving the IP's in blue green and that didn't quite cut it either.So I just painted them black. I figure that most o it won't be seen after assembly anyway. After I had all the interior parts painted and assembled I added the nose weight of 50 grams (1.75oz). I also decided to close the bomb bay and left the bombs out, but that was a big mistake as I later found out. This is the first kit I used Flex-I-Files glue applicator system. I really like it. I just have to improve on filling the applicator because I am still wasting to much glue.

Joe

Great progress! :popcorn I have one on my shelf, older build (Egypt version http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/tu16k72dl_1.htm ).

All the best!
Dusan.

Looking very nice Dusan. I will be very happy i mine comes out only half as good as yours. It really bugs me that the bomb bay doors are to small to show the closed.

Joe

Joe thanks! I had the same problem :unsure: , the bomb bay doors are opened on my Badger.

All the best!
Dusan.

What a nasty thing to do with those doors. I recall the B1 had a problem, they really want you to have the doors opened. All bomber kits should come with optional position doors, that's just my .02.

Good luck Joe, good start. :popcorn

Back