• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lebanese M50 APC

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Here is an old project that stalled, I boxed it four years ago, then moved, then found it when packing to move again. This time I kept better track of it. The base kit is Academy M51 with AEF Designs conversion. I ran into a research problem, just plainly no pictures of the real thing. When the book on Lebanese Shermans came out I was surprised and happy to find photos of the vehicle in there. (Okay that was two years ago - yeah I was PO'd that I could not find what I had started!) I spent some time with it Thursday night. Nice to be working on it again. Yes the AEF Design kit has air bubbles and parts have warp issues. AEF was throwing the hull out. So I got it and we dug parts form here and there to kinda complete the kit. I'm really not sure what totally comes in the kit. But all the basic parts were there and it is good enough for me.

057S.jpg

This is where I restarted.

058S.jpg

I can't remember if I was planning on leaving the hatches open or closed

059S.jpg

I had added some detail already. I do not recall replacing any of the conversion parts just added some rod, copper wire and some solder

060S.jpg

I did replace the gauge housing (dash) with one from a M113 kit. I just wanted too. From the photos in the book the M113 dash is not correct.

061S.jpg

063S.jpg

005.jpg

Last night got the box built around the radio

006.jpg

Some copper wire "cable" on the rear fire wall

007.jpg

Added nut castings to the hull side where the suspension would bolt up. To mark the locations I just held it up to a light and marked around the shadow

008.jpg

004.jpg

I was not happy with the air filter housings so I remade my own.

SAPC00168.jpg

The kit supplied is on the left, middle it the real thing, right is the one I made.

SAPC00167.jpg

SAPC00166.jpg

Still have some triming and detailing to do with the housings

Very nice indeed! Moustafa Assad, the author of the Blue Steel M50 in Lebanon book, is the pattern maker for the AEF Designs kit.

Regards,

the SLA used these things and it seems that some of this stuff is still in use up north of Lebanon in 82-83 I was suprised to see all the M50/51's in use by the "PHALANGE" or SLA and many called them most were on roadblocks duty and were a light grey with either black or dark grey crosses painet on them in 45 degree angles so they looked like the letter X in most cases... one of my officers said it was Christian cammo... :woohoo:

you get a medel for busting out an old AEF kit... i've been there but I'm not sure i'd want to tell anyone about it ;-)

keep up the good work

Alittle update.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

001.jpg

Made a seat, styled after IDF M113 seat. Also mounted the airfilter housings.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Seat bottoms are from a Tamiya M113

005-1.jpg

Made a new rear MG mount.

That is it for now. Back to working on the suspension.

Last weekend update. Got a free day with no kids or anything to do :woohoo: Yeah worked on the suspension but who wants to look at suspension not installed.

apc1001.jpg

Replaced Academy covers. The more I look at the welds I think they need to make smaller.

apc1002.jpg

Made a new exhaust outlet cover. The Academy one fit fine, but just did not look right.

apc1007.jpg

Small update, did not get much done. I added PE welds from On The Mark to the fighting compartment.

035.jpg

037.jpg

039.jpg

036.jpg

Oh almost forgot added some lift rings/eyebolts to the engine deck. They are from Grandt Line

040.jpg

Now have the suspension done. Some bald guy told me to remove some seams that should be there. :eek:hmy: So I had to remake some seams. Glad I rechecked before removing all of them. Yeah the bald guy was ME!!!!!!!!!!! :blush:

SLAAPC8002.jpg

SLAAPC8003.jpg

SLAAPC8004.jpg
:blink

Thanks Pavel!

I'm getting alittle bit done at a time. Worked on getting some fenders to fit. Removed the front bullet deflector and replaced it. I'm having a hard time getting my A+B putty to stick. Before I started and restarted I washed the whole kit with 409, which usually works fine for removing the mold release. I also sanded where the welds need to be redone. Still no luck. So washed it with thinner, still cant get it to stick. The super glue is sticking great, not sure what is causing the trouble. Anyways, the fenders are from the Verlinden M51 kit. I figure I'll use them here since I'm not going to build the M51. I have also started to make some side storage boxes.

SAPCn003.jpg

SAPC6m004.jpg

SAPC6m003.jpg

SAPC6m002.jpg

SAPC6m001.jpg

all one has to do is dig deep enough (or pay more attention!) to find such lovely gems on tnt!

great work jeff, keep going! that'll be a splendid model!

Back