• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri Do 24T in 1/72

RichB

The latest release of the Do 24 by Italeri. This includes a small PE fret and decals for 3 Luftwaffe, 1 French Navy and 1 Spanish Air Force aircraft.

Start~6.jpg

Time~1.jpg

:pilot

Cheers,
Rich

Will be :popcorn with interest. I started one of these years ago as part of a group build on another site and quit because of some snide remarks. I got bogged down trying to improve the the interior detail and so it sits.

There has been much discussion about what Italeri means by "Improved Moulds". I haven't seen the original release but it is said that the cockpit detail has been improved along with the engines. Some of the panel lines may need a bit extra definition so they don't disappear under the paint. Reviews of the earlier release noted that the canopy is oversized, I haven't done a dry fit on mine yet.

The flight deck, tail surfaces and sponsons went together pretty well last night. Hopefully I will get some pics taken tonight.

:soldier

Cheers,
Rich

Well I had the Testors release, it had several endearing features I hope yours does not, for one thing the surface looked as if it had been sand blasted

do24b1.jpg

Had major sink marks every where

do24b2.jpg

And yes the canopy was a bit over sized

do24b3.jpg

I do remember getting a Squadron vacuform set to replace it, I don't remember it was the right size or not, I'd need to dig it out and check.

Mine has the same look to the surface. It doesn't feel too rough, hopefully it will disappear under some primer. It now has some raised rivets along most of the panel lines and a raised frame around the lower edge of the canopy opening. There aren't many sink marks either, especially ones as bad as on yours. The width of the canopy hasn't changed.

Cheers,
Rich

Interesting, I'm not sure I would consider adding raised rivets an improvement. One would have thought they could have polished the molds while they were at it. If you haven't found it here is a walk around of a museum aircraft plus some links to other sites and images.

Do 24 walkaround

I had this kit (Testors box original, not improved) plus a Goffy Models interior.

EDIT - this isn't my build! It is from Goffy Models and clicking the photo will take you to UMM-USA where you can buy it.

I used the Squadron replacement canopy as provided to them by Falcon and it was the right size. Actually, this kit is with someone else but I don't recall cutting the vac canopy to make it fit.

Regards,

Interesting, I'm not sure I would consider adding raised rivets an improvement. One would have thought they could have polished the molds while they were at it. If you haven't found it here is a walk around of a museum aircraft plus some links to other sites and images.

Do 24 walkaround

Thanks for those.

Cheers,
Rich

I had this kit (Testors box original, not improved) plus a Goffy Models interior.

EDIT - this isn't my build! It is from Goffy Models and clicking the photo will take you to UMM-USA where you can buy it.

I used the Squadron replacement canopy as provided to them by Falcon and it was the right size. Actually, this kit is with someone else but I don't recall cutting the vac canopy to make it fit.

Regards,

Thanks for that. Checking some references, the kit cockpit looks more representative of a Do 24K, especially the radio operators station.

Cheers,
Rich

The flight deck. As I said earlier, the radio operator/navigator station looks like a Do 24K (the Dutch version) when compared to the Goffy interior and a couple of pics I found of the Do 24T. I'll try to modify that and add a few details. The instrument panel is from the kit PE fret. There are also seat belts for the pilot and co-pilot seats on the fret. There is a door that can be positioned as you wish that fits the opening in the centre bulkhead.

Ckpt1~2.jpg

Ckpt2~0.jpg

Ckpt3.jpg

The two fuselage halves. There is a lump on the upper aft fuselage (black marked area) between the mid-upper turret and tail that has to go. On the left fuselage half, the three portholes on the cargo doors (black marks) can be filled in on the version I'm building. According to some reviews, the portholes need to be relocated 2mm higher. I'm not going there.

RHFslg.jpg

LHFslg.jpg

These show some of the raised rivets that I don't believe were on the original release. A little sanding will make them disappear. Also new, the raised reinforcing frame along the lower canopy opening, again with raised rivets.

RHFslgclose.jpg

LHFslgclose.jpg

Moving on. :soldier

Cheers,
Rich

Regards,

Thanks for that. Checking some references, the kit cockpit looks more representative of a Do 24K, especially the radio operators station.

Cheers,
Rich

Well Rich, post some good interior shot. I'll have to build my own interior since Goffi is no longer in production.

Cheers, Christian B)

You could always check this out :D AIMS If you can find one, get the original Italeri release with the green plastic, much nicer to work, built one of those when I was a younger man :drinks

Back