• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IAR-81C - WW2 Romanian Fighter

Looking good Laurence! I like that engine so far.

Popcorn-Watching-with.jpg

I managed to do a few things since the last update, so it's time to take a look.

1710055148792.jpeg

Engine front view.

1710055292104.jpeg

Oil radiator - Clarke valve there will be lead wires there. scratch built. Had to cut the portion of the wing where this gizmo goes in, cut too much and used brass sheet to recreate the air intake. Not fun but done.
Toothpicks in use for landing gear at the moment.

1710055866360.jpeg

This section entirely scratch built, gave me a lot of headaches. Fuel tanks, other "thingies" in there, wires (lead wires) and all.

1710056000986.jpeg

Progress photo of the same section from a month ago. Found some reference on the colors - yellow for fuel, red for oil etc.

1710056192627.jpeg

The other side.

1710056249239.jpeg

Tail section - super bad fit, lots of filling needed. BIC correction fluid to the rescue (again).

1710056347931.jpeg

Landing gear - 0.3mm lead wire and brass tube used to detail these things.

Lots more needs doing, cleaning and painting, touch ups, decals the lot. Need the bottom half of the cowling scratched from brass sheet, details on the intake air filter, radio antenna.

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

Correction Fluid? Like Whiteout? Never heard of that trick before.
Yep - Bic wite-out, small white bottle with an applicator. Chuck mentioned this in his thread about the plane, I tried it, and it works a treat. Once applied it dries super fast, then I smooth it out with a triangular spatula with a little bit of Tamiya X-20A thinner. Leaves a very smooth surface which can be further sanded down if needed. Give it a go, it's worth it.

Absolutely Outstanding build! :good:
I googled to see if the IAR-80 had a name, like a lot of fighter aircraft did. Did the Romanian pilots call it "Eagle", "Hawk", "Thunderhog" or anything like that?

Back