• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Humbrol Metal Cote

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Back on the bench and I was playing with this Metal Cote from Humbrol. 27002 to be specific.
Had a really hard time spraying it with Humbrol thinner, tip kept drying quickly and clogging up. I let the paint cure a couple of days and came back and polished it, had a lot of the residual dust you'd expect from these types of metal paints. Problem was, the finish, in some spots was really nice but it was not consistent. I figure it was the spoty way the coats went down.

Anyone spray this stuff? What's your experience, successes, failures? I'll get pictures of my screwups later.

I'm thinking you waited too long to polish it. I used the Metal Cotes quite a bit last year on my Double Dragsters, mixed with Humbrol thinner with good results. I was using my Iwata Eclipse with a .050 needle, very thin paint mix and several layers of paint build up. I polished it as soon as it was dry, within a few hours. :coolio

The perfect polished metal finish still eludes, Bob :rotf

Laugh it up Swabbie! :drunk

Hell y'all've (how's that for a word?) learned what to use from my mistakes but I can't seem to do it. :idonno

:mpup

Hey, I got the P47 looking right didn't I? :D

To me sounds like the reducer was evaporating before the paint reached the model. Easy thing to do is try painting when the temperature is cooler, example, early morning or late at night.

To me sounds like the reducer was evaporating before the paint reached the model. Easy thing to do is try painting when the temperature is cooler, example, early morning or late at night.

Or fall.... :rotf

We're hitting triple digits this week so maybe I need to rethink my silver color.

Metal finishes are not my forte! It looks too complicated. If I ever did a NMF, I probably would use Bare Metal Foil.

Tim

Hey there Bob & All

I have recently (in the last couple of months lol) used 27002 with turpentine from the hardware store at about paint 2:1 turps, and it sprayed pretty well. I did use the single action siphon fed Paasche for it, so limited the possibility of paint flow issues.

Here it is, not polished, but had some time to dry by this point. It seemed to cover well/consistently, and it also doesn't mind my "get it done" apply it heavy method of painting lol

13130928_1740420886244984_1288650626292835718_o.jpg

Hope this helps

Rob

:eek:hmy: Wait, what, thought I was the only Kiwi here - OK, I'm a Brit, but I washed-up in New Zealand. OK, back to your 'issue', Bob. I use Metalcote's a lot but rarely for a full NMF project. Compared to Alclad (which I love to use) I use Metalcote only if I'm trying to replicate a really weathered-out/oxidised NMF. It doesn't need very much thinning in my experience, and when I do thin it, I use either refined turps (artist quality from my local Art Supplies shop), occasionally I use cellulose thinner.

I cut it no more than 80/20 paint-to-thinner. Like Alclad, low pressure and never more than three 'medium coats'. Once dry, polished back with Micro Mesh cloths 6000, 8000 & 12000 grades.

HTH

Ian.

I guess Rob predates you Ian, Rob is a charter member and helped develop the website. Great timing I might addd...:hmmm

Back