• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Heart problems, a continuing saga

I'm rooting for you Paul...had to drop weight myself when I found out I had diabetes a year ago...not easy to do even when you are younger...I've been cooking tons of lean and have researched alternatives to make my diet better so if you need advice, don't hesitate to ask...I won't offer suggestions without requests because I hate those people myself hahaha

Glad to hear there are no issues w/ the past work.

One of the biggest things I've found for managing weight is just tracking your caloric intake. I know, sounds cheesy. I always laughed at it before. "I don't have the time for that tediousness." I never considered myself a big eater...but it turns out I was still consuming way more calories than my activity was making up for. There are several apps out there that make logging/tracking food and exercise super simple. I finally got to the point of hating what was looking back at me in the mirror in the morning back in the beginning of August.

I've been using My Fitness Pal. Plugged in some starting data, gave it a target of 1.5lb/wk (1-2lb a week is usually a good target unless certain conditions require more by your physicians) loss for my daily caloric target. August 1st I was at 235. As of now I'm fluxing around 201-204. I'm going to keep at it and see if I can get back down to my old Navy weight. I haven't found it particularly difficult, but it does take some discipline to make sure you log EVERYTHING. I'm seldom hungry. And if I do go over a day here or there, it's not the end of the world...especially when I usually try to bank a few extra cals a day just to cover for that. I do try to get out for a walk or 2 a week (or on the bike trainer if weather isn't cooperating), but I haven't undertaken any kind of radical exercise program (I personally detest gym environments). I've made some dietary changes just based off the fact certain foods take too big of a hit on my daily allotment, but aside from that I don't think I've really changed dietary habits much.

I hope you can find what works for you and you get to feeling better. :drinks

Hey Paul, just reading about this now. Hope you are doing better. It is amazing how a little exercise can help the body so if you are getting out a couple times a day that's great!

get well soon! There's lots to build!

Paul, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening, but I'm thrilled you're getting quality care. I too need to drop some pounds so hopefully it starts happening soon.

Take care of yourself and I'll also be praying for you.

Back