• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1:48 Seaking AEW Mk2 Finished

Hasegawa 1:48 Seaking AEW Mk2

Let's compare rookie mistakes, Paddy...Uh....then again, let's not.

Let's compare rookie mistakes, Paddy...Uh....then again, let's not.

sorry i didn't mean rookies were stupid, i mean i'm stupid for not learning better after all these years ;)

today i wanted to paint the sun shade area of my canopy green.......hmmmmm how to do this.
I tried brushing, that's a non starter
I tried thinning the paint to nothing and brushing...that was worse.

I bought some Tamiya clear green, you cant brush that )
Nothing for it, set up the airbrush, now where is it ? havnt seen it for years, i just hope i cleaned it before I put it away :huh:
Well an hour later and having cleaned the whole thing in acetone and rubbing alcohol i got it going, I tried spraying Tamiya clear green neat that didn't work, seems to be something on the plastic making the paint separate. Clean paint off using isopropyl and then washing up liquid, tried spraying again with paint really thinned down but got wet areas, too much flow. Cleaned it all off again and had to re mask the thing as the cleaning was lifting the masking tape.
Sprayed it again and disaster, paint was puddling befor it got a coat on so must have it too thick.
Eventually succeeded in what i was trying to achieve by spraying from about 12" away quite wet but the distance meant air pressure was not blowing paint on surface but more importantly the thinners was evaporating almost as the paint hit the plastic so i could build a dusting without getting the part wet.

The reason it looks odd at the top is you are looking through the the thickness of the plastic, not at right angles to it, looks ok in real life :) obviously i sprayed it on the inside so it has a glass effect from the outside.
Gotta mask the whole thing up now to paint the frame...that will be fun :)

I bought some Tamiya clear green, you cant brush that ))

:hmmm Hmmm, I brush it all the time...

h4ed8ad4_2016-07-29.JPG

Cut it around 60/40 with Tamiya thinner, brush it on the inner face with a good chisel edge sable brush, wait 30 mins and add a second coat another 30 mins and dip it in Johnsons Klear/Future, it's self-levelling like Klear/Future, so no brush strokes.

Ian.

For Tamiya Clear, yeah, that's all you need - no pigment so fast drying !! time for coffee between coats :java

Ian.

Careful there, Paddy- chopper building has broken many a fine lad and driven grown men to tears! ;) Looks great to me- and I love those hanging coils. Cheers!

Ain't nothing like building a whirlymabob. I luvs my helicopters!!!! :drool

Tim

Buttoned up the two halves today, no great drama. What i thought would take me an age has turned into a speed build. The really good part is its enabled me to recommission the airbrush and compressor, forced me to sort out a mountain of paints from usable to hard as rock, reminded me of all those little bits you keep over the years that i had forgotten i had like plastic polish by bare metal and their sheets of metal foil, tamiya pastels for dry brushing , piles of micro brass tube and plastic struts, micro sol and set.......its all coming back to me now :)

Today i ordered my next project which i am already excited about as it combines the two loves of my life for military and motorcycles....but first i must continue my refresher course here
Thanks for you kind comments so far, very much appreciated if not always deserved :)

Buttoned up the two halves today, no great drama. What i thought would take me an age has turned into a speed build. The really good part is its enabled me to recommission the airbrush and compressor, forced me to sort out a mountain of paints from usable to hard as rock, reminded me of all those little bits you keep over the years that i had forgotten i had like plastic polish by bare metal and their sheets of metal foil, tamiya pastels for dry brushing , piles of micro brass tube and plastic struts, micro sol and set.......its all coming back to me now :)

Today i ordered my next project which i am already excited about as it combines the two loves of my life for military and motorcycles....but first i must continue my refresher course here
Thanks for you kind comments so far, very much appreciated if not always deserved :)

Scarred me for a moment big fella :huh: I was afraid you were going to bring up a female and applique armor :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Really nice work Paddy. Learn some things for my Build which could prove useful.....Cheers mark

Masked up with most of the bits on for spraying, made up a temporary door to try and keep the overspray out of the cockpit

I have sprayed on some weathering but i will fine tune it by hand later, i just wanted to get the spraying out the way before i fit rotor heads and undercarriage etc

It is almost like waiting for the Holidays. Waiting for the big reveal

Back