• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 P-40N

This one is in the display case, it has been a fun build. At the bottom, some photos next to the Monogram AVG P-40. I think the bird on the nose may be a parrot, I had a Red Lored Amazon that had somewhat similar coloring way back when, long story you don't wanna know. You did not want to underestimate the power of that bird's beak!

There's a lot of photos, partly because I built it so I could display it closed cockpit with the Hasegawa hood and open using a Squadron hood, the vacform canopy section fits much better in the open position.

I used some wheels from an Accurate Miniatures P-51 kit on the P-40N as that was what they used instead of the wheels in the Hasegawa kit which are the usual larger standard P-40 wheels and tires. Quite a difference compared to the P-40B. The difference in the depth of the fuselage between the two is also very apparent.

0162p40.jpg

0172p40.jpg

0182p40.jpg

0192p40.jpg

0202p40.jpg

0212p40.jpg

0222p40.jpg

0232p40.jpg

0242p40.jpg

0252p40.jpg

0262p40.jpg

0272p40.jpg

0282p40.jpg

0292p40.jpg

Really nice John but what about the frames of the rear canopy?

Bob, those weren't actual frames, they were inside plastic reinforcements. Perhaps I could dullcote them, but I wanted to see what it looked like with just the lines in the plastic. Easy to get too much opacity. (Sound of poultry in distance)

Ah, seen too many models of them painted I guess. Think you're right, a bit of dull.

Outstanding build John. (y)

Very nicely finished John . I like it a lot. I had not noticed the wheel were a different diameter . Good eye .

Words of wisdom . Never under estimate something with a hooked beak !

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow! One of my favorite schemes on a favorite aircraft. The Parrot Head.

Apologies for the late visit but I 've been quite busy. some photographs of the real thing:

hd36aa55.jpg

Pay attention to the vertical frames which are painted (the longitudinal one at the crest isn't a frame as you wrote
but these are):

ha77a3da.jpg

h1d35971.jpg

h1b21719.jpg

Scans from the manuals:
h4aad469.jpg

hf3d0773.jpg

Absolutely right about the tires going from 30" 8 ply to 27" 10 ply (as per T-6 Texan and Mustangs)
P-40N Tire, note size:

h4054f3a.jpg

P-51D Tire, again note size:

hd09fb33.jpg

Regards,

But Saul I don't WANNA paint those frames now that it's done! :bat :facepalm

Thanks for the neat photos and the drawings.

But Saul I don't WANNA paint those frames now that it's done!

:rotf I can't make you do it! If you had clear decal film I would say to spray it the interior then exterior colors and cut it into strips and triangular gussets but... I won't. ;)

Regards,

Nah, I manned up and painted them. In the process the pitot tube departed and a I made a new one with music wire, pe, and solder.

Wow! One of my favorite schemes on a favorite aircraft. The Parrot Head.

Apologies for the late visit but I 've been quite busy. some photographs of the real thing:

hd36aa55.jpg

<snip>

Regards,
Ahh man, I just turned down this scheme. Have a P-40 coming and was 99% sure this is what I wanted to do and then decided to do a RAAF bird in Italy instead. Thanks for the awesome pics Saul.
James

Gorgeous biuld. I liked it so much I jumped at a P-40N when one came up on sale. Hope its half as good as your (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thank you, one and all. Buried in the B-26 now, casting a weight to put behind the cockpit bulkhead.

Back