• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Groundwork Class with Anthony Reeves

Hey Tom! you done your homework yet???

Quoting this so we can have this on the next page.

Time for an update!

Here is where the groundwork was left at the last update. The basic leaf litter etc is down so now is the time to add some weeds, new growth, more tufts and saplings.

2010_0715lakevrnwy0050.jpg

We will make a few saplings using some of the roots, not too many just a suggestion of a few growing below the main forest canopy. The first thing to do is make a small hole in the base where you want the sapling to go. Take a piece of root dip it in PVA and insert into the hole. You could add the "leaves" first using the Ivy leaves but I am going to stick mine on the branches later.

2010_0715lakevrnwy0051-1.jpg

2010_0715lakevrnwy0052.jpg

I also want to put some nettles into the ground, I'm not sure if there are any in the photos but whilst we are dealing with weeds etc it seems like a good time to do some. For this you will need some stiff bristles from a decorating brush. Nettle stems are almost black so if you use a black bristled brush these are perfect. You will also need neat PVA glue and a suitable coloured scatter. (These photos are a bit dark) You can use whichever scatter you want and it may be worth you making two or three different coloured weeds to add some variety - use a pale bristle with the lighter scatter for even more subtle differences.

2010_0709lakevrnwy0002.jpg

Take a single bristle and drag it through the PVA, roll it on a sheet of paper to remove most of the glue then roll it in your chosen scatter. Some nettle stalks are covered in leaves and some stalks have very few leaves, try to make a variety.

2010_0709lakevrnwy0004.jpg

2010_0709lakevrnwy0005.jpg

2010_0709lakevrnwy0006.jpg

For the smaller weeds in the photos we will simply use some of the lighter scatter from the kit to represent all the tiny leaves on the floor I also want to put some bushier plants of the same colour growing to the rear of my base so......... take a pinch or two of the "canopy", tease it into an open structure, spray it with hairspray and add the scatter. Put the atomiser onto the glue bottle and give the whole thing a good spray. Put some of the scatter onto a piece of paper and spray it with the glue and let it soak up the glue. This can be used straight away on the base as all the little leaves. I just randomly sprinkled the wet scatter over the whole area then using a small paintbrush worked some of it into the ground below as if it were growing from underneath the leaf litter. A blast of hairspray and a light misting of scenic glue should hold it all in place

2010_0715lakevrnwy0044-1.jpg

2010_0715lakevrnwy0047.jpg

More coming very soon

Ant

I know I have not. Holiday season is fast approaching and I'll have some time off work. My apologies to Ant for leaving thing hanging for so long. I'll get busy with this this weekend.

Some slightly better photos of the base as it stands at the moment. It's dull and grey here today so not much natural light for taking piccies. I have also added some seamoss saplings to my base. There could be more greenery (scatter) added to the base but i'm happy to leave mine like this The next step will be to stick the leaves onto the roots one at a time..........:blink

So in no particular order.......... and I hope this is capturing it Bob?

2010_0716lakevrnwy0011.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0010.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0008.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0007.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0002.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0001.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0056.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0049.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0038.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0035.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0031.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0026.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0020.jpg

2010_0716lakevrnwy0015.jpg

Thats it for now. I'll post an update as soon as I have some foliage on the "saplings"

Thanks for taking the time to read this stuff.

Ant

Just amazing...hope I can recreate just a fraction of this.

Ya know, sometimes life works in mysterious ways :hmmm , while watching MNF last night I broke mine out and added some more grass and stared at it for a looong time. I haven't done enough to post pic's but I be getting back on it after the next two weeks.....Thanksgiving then have to fly up north for my little bro's wedding. His bride to be thought it would be a good idea for him and I to go watch the Packers play the 49'ers in Green Bay the day after the wedding. I think he's got a keeper (y) (y)

Tom

Professor Ant, I have both these lessons printed out and will be doing them ASAP this week. Likely this evening. I just realized we are 2 months behind on our studies. Hope you don't mark off too badly on our final grade...

ant012.jpg

ant013.jpg

ant014.jpg

I know I"m no where near where I need to be but just wanted to show some update and get feed back. I can see I need to trim up the top of the one little tree and get more foliage in there. Also want to get more ground foliage done.

come on Tom, time to catch up!

Back