• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Frag Out!" figure - COMPLETED

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
My first entry for this Campaign will be a single figure display of a US Infantryman preparing to throw a fragmentation grenade. It will be a figure conversion of various pieces of Bravo 6 figures with a Hornet Head. Once I figure out what parts I will use, I will post photos.

Cheers,
James

"Frag Out!" figure

:popcorn

A lot of you figure guys do amazing work. I'll definitely be following.

"Frag Out!" figure

Well, after I had gotten off the computer on the evening of 14 April, I grabbed the figure kits I am using for the figure conversion and took a quick photo for my initial photo. It looked OK through the view finder of my digital camera, but when I took a break from the workbench to download them a few minutes ago, it isn't that great, but y'all get the idea.

Basically, I am using parts from these two Bravo 6 figure kits, arms from a third, and a Hornet Head to create the conversion.

Here is my initial picture with start date.

100_5182.JPG

And here are some photos of the start of the conversion over the past two days. Early Saturday morning, I took the torso of the guy with the shotgun from B6-35050 and the legs of the kneeling guy from B6-35043 and cut them from their original figures, then joined them together. Until I found the "war Face" head that I wanted to use, I placed a temporary head onto the figure in order to continue with posing. I added a canteen to the Sodlier's belt, a claymore bag and it's strap, and then the lightweight rucksack frame. I used the arms from the Bravo 6 kit of a Marine throwing a grenade.

DSC05972.JPG

DSC06000.JPG

DSC06004.JPG

By the afternoon, I found the head from the Hornet "Warface" head set, added it, then once dry, washed the figure with soap and water, drilled holes in the feet to place rods that mounted it to the cap of a pill bottle, and then sprayed the primer coat. This morning, I started by painting the face in acrylics, then painted the base colors of the uniform. If you look closely at his left index finger, there is the pin to the grenade.

100_0252.JPG

100_0253.JPG

100_0256.JPG

"Frag Out!" figure

Throughout the day today, I worked on the shadows and highlights of the uniform, web gear, claymore bags,etc. So as to not waste much time setting up for photos with a backdrop and them not turn out very well due to lighting issues (and operator issues, too :) ), the remainder of the photos I submit will probably be taken on the workbench. The lighting seems a bit better. I am working on several projects simultaneously, so forgive my mess.

100_5150.JPG

And here are a few with some dirt on the knees, elbows, and butt.

100_5173.JPG

100_5175.JPG

100_5177.JPG

100_5178.JPG

100_5179.JPG

100_5181.JPG

I am done painting and taking pictures tonight. Hopefully I will be able to have some time for modeling tomorrow and will provide an update.

Cheers,
James

"Frag Out!" figure

Thanks for the positive comments so far.

I've had several things keeping me away from the workbench but over the past few days I have gotten back to it. Since my last posting of this figure, I have painted most of the boots but they are not completed yet, and I have painted portions of the rucksack after adding the two uncovered canteens and a carabiner to hold them onto the rucksack. I still need to add some brass coloring to the snaps on the canteen covers and a bit of metal essence to the strap adjusters of the outer pockets, finish painting the sock of c-rations, and then attach the pack to the frame and weather it.

100_5463.JPG

100_5464.JPG

100_5465.JPG

100_5466.JPG

100_5467.JPG

100_5468.JPG

100_5469.JPG

After I get off the computer, I will be starting some of the base and groundwork for this project. I am so close to being done, yet so far away... :)

Back to the workbench!
Cheers,
James

"Frag Out!" figure

Stunning work man, I can't wait to see more. I definitely know how you feel being so close and yet so far. I have too many projects like that!

"Frag Out!" figure

Thanks for the additional positive comments.

I worked on the base and initial groundwork and this is how it looks so far. I used Magic Sculpt for the groundwork and textured it with an old tooth brush. I pressed a dead tree from Armand Bayardi into the Magic Sculpt. I then positioned the figure onto the base, removed him, and used a set of jungle boots attached to some copper rods to make some boot prints.

100_5470.JPG

100_5471.JPG

100_5472.JPG

100_5473.JPG

100_5474.JPG

100_5478.JPG

100_5480.JPG

I will start painting the base tomorrow. I am still contemplating if I am going to try to replicate the after effects of a Napalm strike that was put in prior to inserting the Infantry into an LZ or if I will use more vegetation. We'll see how things turn out tomorrow.

Cheers,
James

"Frag Out!" figure

Very nice work - the figure has excellent detail and your paint work is bringing it up perfectly.

Ian.

Back