• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon - tracks 'n stuff

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon

Looks great and i love the modulation but I have a question and its not a criticism in any way shape or form it is simply because I do not know the answer and I am doing more and more armour at the moment

Ok you primed and then painted the whole thing in hull red and then painted in Dark Yellow and covered up the red !

Does the red benefit the yellow or are you going to chip off the yellow to show some red ?

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon

Thanks Mike!
Thanks Terry!
Thanks Skinny Mike!
Thanks Bob!
Tony! Much appreciated! :good:
Thanks Ian!

Looks great and i love the modulation but I have a question and its not a criticism in any way shape or form it is simply because I do not know the answer and I am doing more and more armour at the moment

Ok you primed and then painted the whole thing in hull red and then painted in Dark Yellow and covered up the red !

Does the red benefit the yellow or are you going to chip off the yellow to show some red ?

Thanks Andy!
I think the idea is to "push" the dark red (or black, or brown) into the deep corners, recesses, and engine grills so that you are starting with a dark figure. The top color can then be applied more sparingly allowing some of the base to show through as shadow. I felt a need to paint the whole thing with the Hull-Red basecoat (as opposed to selectively "pre-shadeing" the inside corners and shadow areas only. This allows me to apply the top coat a little thinner, building up the top coat where you want it light and bright, and keping it thin where you want shadow. And, as a bonus (as you correctly pointed out), you can lightly sand or scratch the top coat to reveal the primer. :idonno

Sorry about the long winded explanation. :eek:hmy: You might need a sherpa to get to the end of this post. :lol:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Bill

Nothing special here: Just some extra photos to relieve the tedium. :)

Ele_9.jpg

Ele8.jpg

v150

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon - base paint coat

You'r welcome Andy! :soldier
Thanks Luiz! (y)

A little break in the action while I attend to some other "Seasonal activities". Pictures to follow.

Thanks for all the support and encouraging comments. I hope that I can keep it up to par for your viewing pleasure. :D

Cheers,

Bill

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon - base paint coat

Thanks Bob! Lesson, or less is more, or ….. ? :)
Thanks Chuck! :notworthy

So, back in the modeling sadle again. Just returned from a family vacation road trip to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Cody Wyoming. Some beautiful country and wildlife.

vaca2.jpg
vaca1.jpg

Camo on! Invigorated, motivated, and recharged from the road, I touched up and high lighted the yellow base coat. Next, I enlarged the drawings from the plans to help me lay on the paint. Still a difficult task to copy their patterns well (practice, repeat). I find that if I freehand, I tend to fall into a series of repetitious strokes with less than pleasing results. This came out OK. I think that I should have gone lighter with the green (XF-26: Deep green cut with white).

Ele_10.jpg

Ele_11.jpg

Ele_12.jpg

The crew almost ready for primer and paint.

Ele_13.jpg

So far:

Ele_15.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Bill

Elefant in 1/35 by Dragon - Camo

Looks good to me. You have to remember that cam was usually field applied and the crew did their own. Some were better than others. Also the coverage would be unique as they thinned the paint with fuel or whatever was handy. So it could be thick or thin. Having said that I really like your rendition.
James

One of my favorite pieces of armor, the Elefant. Don't know how I have missed this build till now. Looking quite nice! (y)

Nice job on the camo, Bill. :good:

Man, I miss the Rockies! Excellent photos. :drinks

Thanks, James! :pilot
Thanks, Paul!
Thanks Ian!
Thanks Dave!
Thanks Mike!
Thanks Gatto!
Thanks Luiz!
And, Thank you, Sherm!

Well, it got a coat of satin varnish, and the decals were aapplied. They are a little "silvery" in the wrong light, but I hope that will dissapear with subsequent coats and weathering.
I took a page from John Tolcher's book and tried to get a thin dirt/dust effect with the hair spray technique. Several light coats (of hair spray) were applied and then a very light coat of diluted buff/flat earth (Tamiya paints in the air brush) was applied. This was then wetted and selectively removed with a stiff brush and light scrubbing. It is a little unpredictable (some came off with no effort, and some require some elbow grease.) Practice and repeat I guess. :hmmm :idonno
Next, enamel pin wash around the raised detail.

Thanks for looking and checking in with the comments. :notworthy (y)

Cheers,

Bill

Ele_17.jpg

Ele_16.jpg

v304

Back