• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon 234/3 converted to late model

I've finally got around to doing something for my own benefit so I'm going to do my favourite of the 234's (nobody else seems to like this one) .Using parts from the 234/3 and 234/4 with a Lion roar Zundapp combo originally intended for something else that I never got finished . Starting from here .....

234s.jpg

regards
Brian

Hi James

Mainly it is the fenders , the late model fenders appeared in early 1945 , they deleted the two middle binns and moved the hinges to the top (also simplified to two small hinges instead of the long piano type ) , the handle was moved to the bottom on the front bin and removed on the rear leaving only a keyhole which was opened with a t-bar with a square section . All the 234 vehicle except the 234/2 Puma can be found with these ,The Puma was diacontinued in July 44 and so did not appear with these fenders . Hope this helps .

regards
Brian

Re: Dragon 234/3 Late Fenders.

Hi Brian, I have a late set of fenders in the spares box from a Cyberhobby update set. You are welcome to them if you don't want to sacrifice the set in the 234/4. Let me know if your interested. Good luck with your build, I enjoy the 234 series. Dean

Re: Dragon 234/3 Late Fenders.

Hi Dean

Thanks for the offer , I have aleady done a deal to swap sopmeone for a set on the help me section , However if you want to swap something for them I would be glad to have them as I would also like to do a late 234/1 at a later date .

regards
Brian

Brian, No worries, Offer still stands for later down the track. Didn't see the "Help me" post :blush: Should learn to read in order rather than jumping out of sequence.:) Once again good luck with build, look forward to some pics. Dean

Slight change of plan now thanks to forum member Simon Hammerton who provided me with a set of the late fenders through a swap on the "Help Me" page , I now dont need to steal from my 234/4 thanks to this cyber hobby update set .

cheers Simon :)

DSCF6802.jpg

regards
Brian

The beginnings of my 234/3 , pretty much out the box so far , I decided not to bother too much on detailing the interior, the Dragon parts are pretty good anyway and once the upper hull and crew are in place very little will be seen of it. The 3rd photo shows the later model fenders filled and sitting loosely in place,the late model fenders are set up for the 234/4 so the stowage is slightly different and hence the filling , I will replace most of the tool fittings and Jerry can mounts with PE from the voyager set on these next.I have started to add a little damge to the fender doors on this side also.

regards
Brian

PU1.jpg

PU2.jpg

PU3.jpg

Looks great Brian!!! I love these armored cars and the Dragon kits look really good.

Terry B)

A bit more progress , base coat added nd then some detail painting and weathering ,there is some disagreement about interior colour ,Elfenbein or Dark yellow or red primer depending on what you read and where , I just went for a very light buff colour with some red primer chipping and also some grey chipping, i painted the tank in red primer just for a bit of contrast , after the detail painting some washes were added using umber, black and sienna oils , then some drybrushing and that takes us to where we are now ,as i previously said I'm not wasting a vast amount of time on the interior as it will be barely seen once the crew is in place

Basecoat airbrushed in place

PU4.jpg

and after weathering

PU5.jpg

onward and upwards
Brian

Hi Jim

All the German 8 wheelers were driveable in both directions with a driving station at either end , most were used in Recon units where I guess you want to be able to get out of trouble as quickly as you got into it ! , Even todays german 8 wheeler Luchs has the same feature .G
regards
Brian

Todays progress

Hull joined together without problems ,then fitted late pattern fenders and some small bits and pieces, from then on it was the PE for the additional fighting compartment armour ,the voyager set is really nice and looks for more technical than it actually is , the outer parts folded easily and the only sticky bit the inner bins looked complicated but as long as you follow the step by step in the instructions it goes pretty smoothly and was just stuck with CA and accelerator , I used some of the PE for the gun sheild but not all, some kit parts just look better than the PE, the only sticky bit with this was replacing the rivets through the 2 sheild parts , this was just done with plastic rod rounded off. It is starting to look like a 234/3 now at least :)

PU6.jpg

PU7.jpg

PU8.jpg

HIGHLANDER,

Oh Yeah ! Bring on th P.E. This is looking good ! I haven't built one of these yet. I like th way it looks. Your surgery on the Fenders looks Great !!

The Interior is Bangin' !!

Keep up th good work !!

ERIK

Todays progress (or lack of it) ,the large stowage bin decided to put up a fight , I couldn't get the full PE one to sit properly on the hull and still be tight against the fender , I decided to compromise and use the PE lid and details on the dragon box , it worked out OK eventually and I still managed to add some damage at the far end, that and adding some weld beads where the PE upper armour joins the hull and thats been it for today, might need to re-locate the damaged hinge to the right slightly :S , thanks for your comments.

PU9.jpg

PU10.jpg

regards
Brian

Wow Brian , you are moving at supersonic speed :eek:hmy: , I reckon the interior needs some eye catching colour , maybe a first aid kit or a liberated bottle of wine , just to give some visual interest ;)

Jenny :kiss:

Back