• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Tiger 1 Initial Production (The Great 88)

Adam Baker

I was going to build this for the Great 88 campaign, but like my other builds I'm doing now, it succumbed to moving and getting packed up. I made no progress on the actual kit, but I did try working on the Fruil tracks I had planned on using, but found out that the tracks I have are apparently the original design used by Fruil prior to them going to using metal pins to link the tracks, and instead used open teeth that have to be bent in place, and they apparently have a very very bad reputation for coming apart after they've been assembled, so I've decided to just shelf the Fruil tracks and use the kit tracks that came w/ the kit.

Here's the start image I took for the original campaign.

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

I havent decided on the scheme, and cant remember what all is in the kit, but having never done a winter scheme before, I may attempt the scheme thats on the box cover, just for something different. The last 2 German tanks I did were both very similar spring/fall type schemes, so I want to do something different.

Not sure when I'll start this one, but hopefully soon. But I've got a group build starting over the weekend on another forum, that Im hoping will be a quick build, that I may try knocking out first, but chances are since I hop around from build to build, this one will get started this weekend as well.

...I did try working on the Fruil tracks I had planned on using, but found out that the tracks I have are apparently the original design used by Fruil prior to them going to using metal pins to link the tracks, and instead used open teeth that have to be bent in place, and they apparently have a very very bad reputation for coming apart after they've been assembled, so I've decided to just shelf the Fruil tracks and use the kit tracks that came w/ the kit.

Good idea to shelve that track as you would need to superglue the links solid so as not to come apart. Also, note that some of the markings would require handed tracks (the very early Tiger I tracks). Does this kit provide them? The original release of this kit did not and I bought the highly recommended (by me) MasterClub resin tracks for them.

Regards,

I'm pretty sure the kit comes w/ 3 sets of tracks, 2 of them the same and a 3rd that's mirrored to give the left & right side tracks.

I just Googled the MasterClub tracks, and those are very nice looking. I might look into trying to get a set if I can afford it, but more than likely I'll probably end up just using the kit tracks.

...I did try working on the Fruil tracks I had planned on using, but found out that the tracks I have are apparently the original design used by Fruil prior to them going to using metal pins to link the tracks, and instead used open teeth that have to be bent in place, and they apparently have a very very bad reputation for coming apart after they've been assembled, so I've decided to just shelf the Fruil tracks and use the kit tracks that came w/ the kit.

Good idea to shelve that track as you would need to superglue the links solid so as not to come apart. Also, note that some of the markings would require handed tracks (the very early Tiger I tracks). Does this kit provide them? The original release of this kit did not and I bought the highly recommended (by me) MasterClub resin tracks for them.

Regards,

Back