• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dedicated to the 343 FDNY heroes of 9/11

Laurence, very nice dedication. I don't know if the colors (white balance) is correct but I can state from first hand experience that the dust was off white very similar to paper when burned.

I didn't post about that date but a few here know I had ties to the uniformed services of NYC. I have photos of several of the destroyed trucks but I won't post them. I also have images of all the plaques with the names that were posted in the stations and precincts.

Hard to believe this was the patch adopted before 9/11:

main_patch.jpg

Regards,

Gentlemen, much appreciated, your comments are too kind :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The almost ruined building I decided to depict is the Marriott hotel, in particular the corner of Liberty and West. After doing a lot of research, found testimonials from survivors, even FEMA report stating that approx 3 levels of the building survived both towers coming down. First tower that collapsed did a lot of damage, the second one added to it. However, that particular corner allowed some people to walk out unscathed, pretty much the only ones who survived the collapsing of both towers whilst inside the building. Pretty amazing.

The key to this was the reinforcements added to the building after the 1993 attack. A job well done, however, due to the sheer amount of material falling down, only 3 levels survived in that corner from a total of 22.

Surprisingly enough, there is not a lot of photographic evidence of the inside of the hotel, especially the lobby. As such, the artistic licence will be used. Much as I will try to find proper reference materials, I do not want to wait for ever with this build. I am already late :S

Because of the size of the base, I decided to work on a piece of matted cardboard, the size of the footprint of the hotel, to be glued in place once done. This photos show the dividing wall between the main lobby and the protruding section on Liberty street, where apparently there was a bar called The Tall Ships.

The wall was built using an MDF board, matted. Added some ornamental stuff to the door, a handle, and also a fire extinguisher near the wall.

h33de05b.JPG

Another angle

hc5511c7.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Thank you MP, James, Luiz :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Slow progress - hotel lobby. Floor done, wall with door done, wall with M logo painted, pillar still to be painted. Bought two figures in 1/25th scale, a LOT to do to clean them up, not quite excited about them, but there was no other choice.

h515a755.JPG

h69a863e.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence

Very nice!! Well done!! We spent the day watching our VHS tape of the documentary made about a rookie firefighter just before 911. Gary

Back